OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Birdnals

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Birdnals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am

Jsa725 wrote:Image

Brief done! Now only 3 finals away from being done with first year.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:13 pm

In terms of reading cases and preparing for class, what is the extent you guys are doing? Time-wise per class.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:In terms of reading cases and preparing for class, what is the extent you guys are doing? Time-wise per class.

I spend ~15-30 minutes per class (so if I have 3 classes the next day, I'll spend 45-90 minutes prepping, really just depends on the length of each reading) skimming the casebook and reading case briefs.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:21 pm

SportsFan wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:In terms of reading cases and preparing for class, what is the extent you guys are doing? Time-wise per class.

I spend ~15-30 minutes per class (so if I have 3 classes the next day, I'll spend 45-90 minutes prepping, really just depends on the length of each reading) skimming the casebook and reading case briefs.

Same. I read the supplement, my canned brief book, then quickly skim the analysis. Do you find this adequately prepares you?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't prep for class lol. I do the readings over the weekend and forget everything by class time.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Bronck wrote:

I don't prep for class lol. I do the readings over the weekend and forget everything by class time.

Haha. It's funny. In one class last semester, I pretty much blew off case readings. I half-assed them. Worst class. So, I do a quick review of multiple sources. Then, in class, I get another review.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I dont prep for class.

Luckily I only have 1 class this semester that REALLY cold calls and I have no qualms with shrugging or staring blankly into her eyes if I dont know the answer.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Nova wrote:I dont prep for class.

Luckily I only have 1 class this semester that REALLY cold calls and I have no qualms with shrugging or staring blankly into her eyes if I dont know the answer.

wait do you guys mean like time spent reading the cases or time spent prepping for a cold call. I have never prepped for class in the sense of reading the cases again real quick before class, but I always read the cases the day before for my own benefit. Just kinda confused what you guys mean by prepping for class.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:

wait do you guys mean like time spent reading the cases or time spent prepping for a cold call. I have never prepped for class in the sense of reading the cases again real quick before class, but I always read the cases the day before for my own benefit. Just kinda confused what you guys mean by prepping for class.

Reading the case brief as class begins

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:

What I mean by not prepping for class is that I dont refresh myself before class, or write out really elaborate briefs. I just go in with my bare bones brief and rules.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 pm

gaud wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Reading the case brief as class begins

This. I also do a single note card while reading with a quick facts about each case for that day, the rule that emerged, and on the back of the note card write other things from the notes/reading that seemed important. Then before/during class I can just look at my notecard, and use it later during finals studying.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

CAUGHT UP ON OUTLINING IN CON LAW. FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST... THANK GOD ALMIGHTY... I AM FREE AT LAST!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Is there any good analysis of the healthcare case out there or do we just have to go with what our Professor taught? Looks like Chemerinsky's last edition came out a little too soon.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 pm

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

I burned out before I even began this semester.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

stillwater wrote:I burned out before I even began this semester.

yep. well, either that or i spent way too much time on job applications.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:

I just meant the time I spend reading the casebook/briefs and taking some notes on it (which I sort of merge with my class notes then consolidate into my outline later). Before my 2 classes that cold call I'll spend like 5 minutes quickly skimming just in case, but I don't do anything special for that.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I just meant the time I spend reading the casebook/briefs and taking some notes on it (which I sort of merge with my class notes then consolidate into my outline later). Before my 2 classes that cold call I'll spend like 5 minutes quickly skimming just in case, but I don't do anything special for that.

I read the case and then forget about it. If I get cold-called, I just do it on the fly, whatever. Class doesn't matter. Stat reg has totally ruined law school for me. That class makes me contemplate why I am alive

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

stillwater wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I read the case and then forget about it. If I get cold-called, I just do it on the fly, whatever. Class doesn't matter. Stat reg has totally ruined law school for me. That class makes me contemplate why I am alive

Yeah, but its not like I have anything better to do in the 5-10 minutes before class starts anyway haha.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 am

Almost all caught up on my Con Law outline.

Not sure I have the willpower today to start Prop Supp... but we'll see....

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:12 am

LATE NIGHT GRIND

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 am

Nova wrote:LATE NIGHT GRIND

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN A 3 HOUR NAP FROM 7-10PM CAUSE NOW I CAN'T GET TO SLEEP

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”