OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Damn when do you guys finish?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Damn when do you guys finish?

We're done May 2, then the damn writing competition, but I think we'll be totally done with 1L before you guys start exams.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Birdnals » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Damn when do you guys finish?

Same as above

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Nelson wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I'm into the part of the semester where 90% of my time needs to be spend doing practice tests/problems and studying my outlines.

If you're actually doing this you're ahead of the vast majority of us for sure.

I don't mean 90% of my entire free time. :lol: God that really made me sound like such a gunner... I just meant as opposed to doing the readings for class or making my outlines.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15361
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:19 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Nelson wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I'm into the part of the semester where 90% of my time needs to be spend doing practice tests/problems and studying my outlines.

If you're actually doing this you're ahead of the vast majority of us for sure.

I don't mean 90% of my entire free time. :lol: God that really made me sound like such a gunner... I just meant as opposed to doing the readings for class or making my outlines.


My general semester strategy of never doing the readings really helped me during this time :lol:

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm

CIV PRO READING IS DONE! THANK THE HEAVENS. OH MY GOODNESS. SO HAPPY!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 am

Nelson wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Damn when do you guys finish?

We're done May 2, then the damn writing competition, but I think we'll be totally done with 1L before you guys start exams.


Wow, you guys finish really early. No wonder you seem so ahead of us.

We don't finish until May 16?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:02 am

Can't believe I actually did it -- I did all 4 class readings in one day. Going to dedicate tomorrow to updating outlines... failed to do so last week, so I have two weeks of content to catch up on.

Got almost entirely caught up with my IP supplement... so now it's time to incorporate that into my OL as well . . . I think I'm going to dedicate the bulk of this week to doing Property supps...

ETA: I still feel like I'm gonna be doomed for finals

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 am

Bronck wrote:Can't believe I actually did it -- I did all 4 class readings in one day. Going to dedicate tomorrow to updating outlines... failed to do so last week, so I have two weeks of content to catch up on.

Got almost entirely caught up with my IP supplement... so now it's time to incorporate that into my OL as well . . . I think I'm going to dedicate the bulk of this week to doing Property supps...

ETA: I still feel like I'm gonna be doomed for finals


Good luck, bro! I am trying to finish all outlines this week so I have 3-4 weeks of PTing. Constitutional Law takes forever.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:
Bronck wrote:Can't believe I actually did it -- I did all 4 class readings in one day. Going to dedicate tomorrow to updating outlines... failed to do so last week, so I have two weeks of content to catch up on.

Got almost entirely caught up with my IP supplement... so now it's time to incorporate that into my OL as well . . . I think I'm going to dedicate the bulk of this week to doing Property supps...

ETA: I still feel like I'm gonna be doomed for finals


Good luck, bro! I am trying to finish all outlines this week so I have 3-4 weeks of PTing. Constitutional Law takes forever.


Thanks bro. I was originally planning on getting more done tonight, but I put in some major grinding. Time to reward myself with some TV.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 am

Ok. No more going out or drinking until finals are over in 5 weeks.

For real this time.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Bronck wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Damn when do you guys finish?

We're done May 2, then the damn writing competition, but I think we'll be totally done with 1L before you guys start exams.


Wow, you guys finish really early. No wonder you seem so ahead of us.

We don't finish until May 16?

Yeah, its kind of unfortunate in a way. Last semester I was helped a bit since I was able to "keep up" with what everyone in this thread was doing. This time, I'm sort of on my own. :lol: Though it does feel like most people at Penn (in my section, anyway) are "behind" where they were at this point last semester in terms of preparation. That said, everyone is going to be better at preparing this semester so its not really a big deal. Not sure what its like at other schools.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:38 pm

SportsFan wrote:That said, everyone is going to be better at preparing this semester so its not really a big deal.



you'd think, but it doesn't seem that way in my neighborhood.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:40 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7299
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I think the reason that I keep believing my classmates are not doing any work is because it allows me to continue procrastinating. Really don't feel like starting this process.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I think the reason that I keep believing my classmates are not doing any work is because it allows me to continue procrastinating. Really don't feel like starting this process.



yeah, dude. i had to get pissed at myself for wasting time the other night to actually kick shit into gear.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:55 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
SportsFan wrote:That said, everyone is going to be better at preparing this semester so its not really a big deal.



you'd think, but it doesn't seem that way in my neighborhood.

Pretty much everyone in my section has realized by now that reading and briefing cases is generally a waste of time (though many of them still spend way too much time on it anyway), but yeah, besides that I don't really know how much "smarter" everyone is at preparing. I just assume that they are because I'd rather have lower expectations for myself and be pleasantly surprised at doing better than I hoped than to have high expectations and be disappointed if/when I don't meet them haha.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 pm

I thought I had mastered the process last semester. Standing 3.5 weeks out 2nd semester, I feel like I am doing this for the 1st time.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 pm

SportsFan wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
SportsFan wrote:That said, everyone is going to be better at preparing this semester so its not really a big deal.



you'd think, but it doesn't seem that way in my neighborhood.

Pretty much everyone in my section has realized by now that reading and briefing cases is generally a waste of time (though many of them still spend way too much time on it anyway), but yeah, besides that I don't really know how much "smarter" everyone is at preparing. I just assume that they are because I'd rather have lower expectations for myself and be pleasantly surprised at doing better than I hoped than to have high expectations and be disappointed if/when I don't meet them haha.


I would agree, but in Constitutional Law, briefing is a must.

Anyway, grinding ahead to get at least 2/3's of the semester's Con Law OL done. Finish this week, then PTs! WHO'S READY FOR SOME WIN?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
SportsFan wrote:That said, everyone is going to be better at preparing this semester so its not really a big deal.



you'd think, but it doesn't seem that way in my neighborhood.

Pretty much everyone in my section has realized by now that reading and briefing cases is generally a waste of time (though many of them still spend way too much time on it anyway), but yeah, besides that I don't really know how much "smarter" everyone is at preparing. I just assume that they are because I'd rather have lower expectations for myself and be pleasantly surprised at doing better than I hoped than to have high expectations and be disappointed if/when I don't meet them haha.


I would agree, but in Constitutional Law, briefing is a must.

Anyway, grinding ahead to get at least 2/3's of the semester's Con Law OL done. Finish this week, then PTs! WHO'S READY FOR SOME WIN?


Briefing is never a must.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:Thanks bro. I was originally planning on getting more done tonight, but I put in some major grinding. Time to reward myself with some TV.


Bronck, what exactly did you watch @ Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 am :shock: :arrow: :mrgreen:


Yeah, dude. Netflix. I have the worst sleep schedule.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm

stillwater wrote:I thought I had mastered the process last semester. Standing 3.5 weeks out 2nd semester, I feel like I am doing this for the 1st time.


Please, please, let this be everyone else. And please, please, let everyone else think no one has started yet, making them procrastinate.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:I thought I had mastered the process last semester. Standing 3.5 weeks out 2nd semester, I feel like I am doing this for the 1st time.


Please, please, let this be everyone else. And please, please, let everyone else think no one has started yet, making them procrastinate.



though, it's also nice to throw in things like "yeah, i've already finished outlining. i'm almost out of practice tests though, so i'm worried."

it throws people haha

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:I thought I had mastered the process last semester. Standing 3.5 weeks out 2nd semester, I feel like I am doing this for the 1st time.


Please, please, let this be everyone else. And please, please, let everyone else think no one has started yet, making them procrastinate.



though, it's also nice to throw in things like "yeah, i've already finished outlining. i'm almost out of practice tests though, so i'm worried."

it throws people haha


My strategy was actually to tell people that I haven't done much work yet, and all my friends are the same way. "There's still plenty of time"

Thereby making my competitors complacent and at ease.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests