OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
icecold3000

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby icecold3000 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Does anyone have any past exams they would be willing to share? I have been working on the E&Es, but they are not long/complex enough to simulate an actual exam question.

Following exam topics needed:

1. Contracts: formation, parol evidence, policing the bargain, statute of frauds, unconscionability, public policy
2. Civ Pro: subject matter jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction (hopefully one with contacts involving the internet!), venue, supplemental jurisdiction
3. Property: landlord/tenant, adverse possession, concurrent ownership, gifts
4. Torts: any long hypo with negligence and intentional torts
5. Crim.: murder, larceny, burglary, statutory analysis

I would be happy to share the past exams I have with anyone interested. I have the following topics:

1. Contracts: offer and acceptance; consideration/promissory estoppel
2. Property: landlord/tenant with issues of assignment/sublease and abandonment
3. Criminal: policy exam on punishment (civil confinement of a sex offender); murder exam which could be argued as voluntary manslaughter provocation all the way to 1st degree murder; voluntary act and criminal recklessness
4. Torts: typical torts exam with every issue of negligence and intentional tort you could imagine.

PM me if interested.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 am

Property outline: Nearly done
Torts Outline: Nearly done
Civ Pro Outline: Nearly done
Reading for semester: Nearly done.

Soooo close! Gotta keep grinding! CSWS. By Sunday night I will be ready to focus solely on my outlines and hypos for 3 weeks!

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pt324

Postby Pt324 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:20 am

brotherdarkness wrote:I'm a big fan of making flow charts as a means of mapping out the information in my head. I just made a quick one for SMJ and am wondering if anyone here sees any glaring holes?

http://imgur.com/bHhpH

Thanks!

Sup Brother, I'm a big fan of making flow charts too. It looks like your imgur link is bad, you might want to repost it again.

To everybody else, I've been CSWS all day erry day this week. I just saw this thread and am glad there are a couple more hardos out there too!

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:15 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Pt324 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I'm a big fan of making flow charts as a means of mapping out the information in my head. I just made a quick one for SMJ and am wondering if anyone here sees any glaring holes?

http://imgur.com/bHhpH

Thanks!

Sup Brother, I'm a big fan of making flow charts too. It looks like your imgur link is bad, you might want to repost it again.

To everybody else, I've been CSWS all day erry day this week. I just saw this thread and am glad there are a couple more hardos out there too!

Hmph, hopefully this works...

http://imgur.com/2JhRn

Looks pretty good to me. The one thing that I would watch for (and this may just apply for my professor) is that you don't use citizenship and domicile interchangeably. Diversity is based on domicile which is made of physical presence and the intent to stay indefinitely. Outside of that, I think it looks solid.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 pm

How are people planning on taking final exams and whatnot? I need some tips on planning the next three weeks. I have on average 6 PT for each professor, and countless of hypos. Right now I generally give around 3.5 hours to each class, but I think I need to start leveraging more time to my first exam then my last exam.

Tips/strategies/etc?

CSWS

icecold3000

Postby icecold3000 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 pm

swimmer11 wrote:How are people planning on taking final exams and whatnot? I need some tips on planning the next three weeks. I have on average 6 PT for each professor, and countless of hypos. Right now I generally give around 3.5 hours to each class, but I think I need to start leveraging more time to my first exam then my last exam.

Tips/strategies/etc?

CSWS

Here's my strategy:
Step 1. I have 15 days until my first exam and 5 classes. So I am devoting 3 entire days to each class before exams start. Step 2. Once exams start I plan on studying for whatever exam is next in time, until I am done with exams.
Step 3. Profit (or binge drink)

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Can anyone offer up some solid Contracts exams or hypos? Our professor doesn't do UCC (because he teaches another class solely focused on the UCC) so it would be nice if I could get my hands on some stuff that didn't include making distinctions between CL and UCC. Please Please!! I know some of you guys/gals are flooded with practice info, help a brother out.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Just did an hour and 15 minute (half length of a normal one) civ pro exam. Wrote ~2000 words. Felt like I was doing good but pretty much ran out of things to write about after an hour, which doesn't seem good, so I guess I need to work on issue spotting a bit.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:37 pm

SportsFan wrote:Just did an hour and 15 minute (half length of a normal one) civ pro exam. Wrote ~2000 words. Felt like I was doing good but pretty much ran out of things to write about after an hour, which doesn't seem good, so I guess I need to work on issue spotting a bit.

Also make sure you are talking about both sides of the argument, if possible. I have found that in my hypos, I tend to give more weight to the side that I think is more correct and fail to go as far in depth about the opposing side.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:07 pm

JSA - Preferred exam approach? As in, the actual way they want you to structure your exams?

Just took hour long Criminal Law PT -> 2200 words in 1 hour, felt great about it, but did have to short hand alot of the lesser crimes at the end.

Question - When doing a criminal law issue spotter would you say it is best to talk about what your professor likes the most, i.e: murder in my class, and then shorthand through the lesser crimes at the end. i.e: theft, etc?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 pm

24 days and counting over here, boys and girls. Let's finish strong and bask in the greatness of a hard day's work.

Remember, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. And getting median pwned. Onward, sirs and ladies!!!

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:29 pm

What are some of yalls favorite songs to stay pumped??

Till I collapse

Remember the name

Play for keeps

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Nova wrote:What are some of yalls favorite songs to stay pumped??

Till I collapse

Remember the name

Play for keeps

2020 - SOL

No Rest for the Weary - Blue Scholars

Haunted - Taylor Swift - Speak Now World Tour Live BECAUSE DEM FINALS ARE HAUNTING ME

thelong

Postby thelong » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Old Crow Medicine Show -- That'll be a better day.

I have a terrible terrible problem of listening to good music when I'm studying and it gets distracting, though.

So I just put on some classical so there is enough "noise" in my headphones to cancel out library noises and then I get up to speed and hit cruise control.

That being said. Sooooo close to finishing this torts outline. Going to have this thing done tonight.

theaether

Postby theaether » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:20 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
Nova wrote:What are some of yalls favorite songs to stay pumped??

Till I collapse

Remember the name

Play for keeps

2020 - SOL

No Rest for the Weary - Blue Scholars

Haunted - Taylor Swift - Speak Now World Tour Live BECAUSE DEM FINALS ARE HAUNTING ME

skillrex - kill everybody

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23 pm

thelong wrote: So I just put on some classical so there is enough "noise" in my headphones to cancel out library noises and then I get up to speed and hit cruise control.

I do this too. Chopin for classical . Yiruma for modern.

thelong

Postby thelong » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Nova wrote:
thelong wrote: So I just put on some classical so there is enough "noise" in my headphones to cancel out library noises and then I get up to speed and hit cruise control.

I do this too. Chopin for classical . Yiruma for modern.

Mahler has been my jam recently. In undergrad it was Mozart violin concertos. Don't ask me anything about any of it though. Hit play and that's the end of that story.

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Does anyone here take property, and have gotten to regulatory takings?

I am trying to make my own flowchart, since there isn't one anywhere on the internets. Could someone critique it for me?

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Eminem and Lil Wayne - No Love

Lil Wayne and Eminem - Drop the World

Avenged Sevenfold - Second Heartbeat, Bat Country, Trashed and Scattered, Critical Acclaim, Nightmare, Save Me

Black Veil Brides - Set the World on Fire

B.o.B. - Airplanes, Part II

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 pm

This is my advice for you all:

Have pre-written "pre-answers" whenever possible. By this I mean have all black-letter law set up for each topic so you can literally copy it out of your outlines if the issue comes up on an exam. This ensures that you will be able to spit out the black-letter law quickly without thinking while focusing on how you'll apply it to the facts. For example, for Civ Pro, for personal jurisdiction and Erie, have a significant portion of the framework written out in complete paragraphs so you can just copy it -- same for removal, etc.

Last year I created a normal outline for each class, then I made a shorter "attack outline" for each class that included the pre-written paragraphs I mention above.

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but just thought I'd throw it in this thread b/c it worked for me last year.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”