OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MauriceGains

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby MauriceGains » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 pm

stillwater wrote:how's everyone feeling about the material a month or so out from finals?
Finished up all readings except ConLaw, because the prof. sends assignments a week at a time. Feeling good that LRW is almost over (moot court in UG = not worried about the oral argument), outlining feels much worse than last year, but ready to get it over with and move to the practice problems in Siegel's and old PTs. Feel like I learn better that way. Compared to last semester, less burnt out, less stressed (some high grades and some low grades teach you how to prep, haha), more aware that I need to do some serious work to crack the percentile I want.

O/Ling through Spring Break when the weather has finally been absolutely beautiful is no fun, so I wrote down LetsGo's quote from last year to keep me going.

"And if life does not turn out the way you expected, at least you can look yourself in the mirror knowing you went down guns blazing."

YUH

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Goal for today: continue to do more Dressler reading + updates to my Crim outline

Goal for weekend: do all readings for next week + updates outlines with content from this past week + try to do some supplement readings.

Since it's almost April, goal for weekdays from now on: supplement readings + edits to outlines.

Question for my friends here (i.e., all fellow CSWSers!): start practice exams once April hits? or wait until it gets a little closer?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Bronck wrote:Goal for today: continue to do more Dressler reading + updates to my Crim outline

Goal for weekend: do all readings for next week + updates outlines with content from this past week + try to do some supplement readings.

Since it's almost April, goal for weekdays from now on: supplement readings + edits to outlines.

Question for my friends here (i.e., all fellow CSWSers!): start practice exams once April hits? or wait until it gets a little closer?

I'm definitely not ready to start practice tests yet. I'll probably be starting a little later this time because I feel like I understand how to take a law school exam, and I will benefit from being able to do almost the whole thing whereas last year I started off doing only like one or two questions at a time just to get the feel for how to take a law school exam.

Looks like I'm a little behind you guys. Elected to only make 2 out of four outlines and those are close to up to date, but not quite. Making flash cards for crim because its closed books/ retyping an old outline with stuff that doesn't need to be memorized ver batim. Haven't even started civ pro yet, but I'm most confident that this class requires the least amount of work so I'm putting it on the backburner for a little bit. CSWS until the end. Let's go.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Bronck wrote:Goal for today: continue to do more Dressler reading + updates to my Crim outline

I'd say it depends on when your finals are. My two in-class ones are 4/30 and 5/3, so I'm hoping to start PTing during the week of 4/15. Maybe toward the later end so I can knock out Siegel's first.

I have a question of my own: one of my finals is a take-home paper. We'll be receiving the prompt four days before my first final and it's not due until three days after the last. How would y'all approach studying for it? The professor HATES issue-spotters and doesn't have any old tests available, so aside from outlining and doing Siegel's for mastery purposes, I'm a bit lost.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

I know its anathema here but I really don't do many PTs. I think last semester I did one full, timed exam. Otherwise I did E&Es, sections of old exams, etc. but I really hated the idea of sitting down and writing for 3 hours. I like to know it cold and practice applying on a more limited scale.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 pm

stillwater wrote:I know its anathema here but I really don't do many PTs. I think last semester I did one full, timed exam. Otherwise I did E&Es, sections of old exams, etc. but I really hated the idea of sitting down and writing for 3 hours. I like to know it cold and practice applying on a more limited scale.

Ashamed to admit, but I couldn't even force myself to do a full one. It was terrible.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 am

stillwater wrote:I know its anathema here but I really don't do many PTs. I think last semester I did one full, timed exam. Otherwise I did E&Es, sections of old exams, etc. but I really hated the idea of sitting down and writing for 3 hours. I like to know it cold and practice applying on a more limited scale.

Interesting. I never spend the full time on it. Usually half-time. I do them to try to get a feel for what the professor wants + get practice with playing with the facts.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:14 am

Conquered the Rule Against Perpetuities today. Felt good.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I am gonna carry on this thread by myself. Allocating just one day to brief edits- today- then forgetting about it.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Bronck wrote:

Interesting. I never spend the full time on it. Usually half-time. I do them to try to get a feel for what the professor wants + get practice with playing with the facts.

Last semester I did ~3 for one class, and ~6 for each of my other 2. I broke them into pieces, so I wouldn't just sit there for 3 hours taking a full one, I'd do 1 part (which would be, say, an hour) one day then the 2nd part the next day, etc. But after classes were over, I stopped breaking them into pieces and actually sat there and did the full ones for (most of) the allotted time. I tried to leave ~30 minutes extra, half out of laziness and half because I knew that on the real exam I'd probably be nervous and work slower anyway.

I've tried analyzing my studying techniques from last semester to see what worked well and what didn't. I got 3 different grades, so I can sort of tell what to do more/less of (though I blame a lot of my worst grade on the fact that it was my first exam and I freaked out for the first half hour). The problem is, my best grade was in civ pro, which I feel like I knew the BLL the worst compared to my other 2 finals (and I only had 2 and 3 full days before those finals, and 5 before civ pro, of which I spent 3 doing nothing but vaguely reading through my outline), but did well because I basically copied tons of parts of old A/A+ exams from my professor into my outline and just re-wrote them on my test. I feel like I can't really do that for any of my classes since semester (partly because my professors probably won't be asking basically the same questions, partly because I don't have that many old exams from my professors since semester, and partly because I have 2 MC exams this semester), except maybe con law. Obviously, a lot of the points are in the analysis, and I still had to write all that from scratch, but... I don't know. I'd say the biggest change for me this semester from last semester is relying more on supplements (I have 1 or 2 for every class), since it seems like last semester, the people who used them more generally did better (obviously I don't know peoples grades, but I can tell).
stillwater wrote:I am gonna carry on this thread by myself. Allocating just one day to brief edits- today- then forgetting about it.

We had to rewrite our briefs with a partner. It was annoying as hell (and pretty pointless IMO) since we had to basically merge 2 briefs into 1.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:00 pm

It is crunch time.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:00 pm

stillwater wrote:Conquered the Rule Against Perpetuities today. Felt good.

Tl; Dr?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Tl; Dr?

wut

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:37 pm

For closed book exams, I'm thinking about outlining anyway. I had started on both before I knew one was closed book anyway, but trying to gauge how helpful it was for people who had CB exams and did well. Did you all outline like you did for open note exams or no? For my first semester classes I outlined a bit but really only went into the exams with about 5-10 pages of stuff to use for each test, so I'm hoping to kind of do the same and then try to memorize as much as I need to for the CB ones. Sound good and am I missing anything to think about for CB exams that hasn't already been covered in the thread?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 pm

hyakku wrote:For closed book exams, I'm thinking about outlining anyway. I had started on both before I knew one was closed book anyway, but trying to gauge how helpful it was for people who had CB exams and did well. Did you all outline like you did for open note exams or no? For my first semester classes I outlined a bit but really only went into the exams with about 5-10 pages of stuff to use for each test, so I'm hoping to kind of do the same and then try to memorize as much as I need to for the CB ones. Sound good and am I missing anything to think about for CB exams that hasn't already been covered in the thread?

I didn't personally outline, but I used old outlines and memorized those. If there were no old outlines, I wold have made one in an effort to create something that was easier to memorize.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:51 pm

stillwater wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Tl; Dr?

wut

I think Tiagbro wants a quick run down on the best way to understand it

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah, I'm looking for the tl; dr version of RAP. If you can boil it down to a few short sentences we'd all appreciate it.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Started reading Dressler today to supplement my crim outline. Wow, I can already see why its so highly recommended. Its definitely helping clear up stuff that I didn't seem to catch in class.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Didn't make sense when I read it in Dukeminier, but JSA's post about 40 pages back made it crystal-clear. Here's what's in my O/L:

John Chipman Gray’s formulation of the Rule Against Perpetuities (RAP) is: “No interest is good unless it must vest, if at all, not later than twenty-one years after some life in being at the creation of the interest.” Only contingent remainders, executory interests, and class gifts are subject to the RAP.
To apply the RAP:
(1) Create all validating lives, that is, future grantees that are not lives in being.
(2) Kill all lives in being.
(3) If an interest can vest more than 21 years after this mass killing, the interest is not valid.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Yeah, I'm looking for the tl; dr version of RAP. If you can boil it down to a few short sentences we'd all appreciate it.

Oh, I got you. I thought 2 sentences was considered prolix in our day of texts, tweets and smoke signals.

RAP: So any executory interest, contingent remainder or vested remainder subject to open must vest (which means 3 things: (1) become a present possessory interest; (2) definitively fail to vest or (3) transmute into a vested remainder or any other kind of interest the law doesn't scrutinize under RAP) within any measuring life + 21 yrs. So once you identify it's one of those types of interests, you look for the potential measuring lives: (1) any named beneficiary; (2) anyone who can uniquely and directly affect who the beneficiaries are (only where beneficiaries are described by abstract characteristics; and (3) anyone who can uniquely and directly affect certain events that the contingencies depend upon. So once you got those 3 categories of people in the room, you kill them and see if you can guarantee the interest will vest within 21 yrs. The key for me at least is to understand 2 things: (1) the validating life can be one of the individuals to whom the particular future interest is unrelated to (as long as they are in those 3 categories) and (2) be VERY SUSPICIOUS if the future interest is not tied to the LIFESPAN of a human being. You cannot use companies and shit obviously as measuring lives. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Vested remainders subject to open are a bitch though.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:14 pm

MauriceGains wrote:Didn't make sense when I read it in Dukeminier, but JSA's post about 40 pages back made it crystal-clear. Here's what's in my O/L:

John Chipman Gray’s formulation of the Rule Against Perpetuities (RAP) is: “No interest is good unless it must vest, if at all, not later than twenty-one years after some life in being at the creation of the interest.” Only contingent remainders, executory interests, and class gifts are subject to the RAP.
To apply the RAP:
(1) Create all validating lives, that is, future grantees that are not lives in being.
(2) Kill all lives in being.
(3) If an interest can vest more than 21 years after this mass killing, the interest is not valid.

stillwater wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Yeah, I'm looking for the tl; dr version of RAP. If you can boil it down to a few short sentences we'd all appreciate it.

Oh, I got you. I thought 2 sentences was considered prolix in our day of texts, tweets and smoke signals.

RAP: So any executory interest, contingent remainder or vested remainder subject to open must vest (which means 3 things: (1) become a present possessory interest; (2) definitively fail to vest or (3) transmute into a vested remainder or any other kind of interest the law doesn't scrutinize under RAP) within any measuring life + 21 yrs. So once you identify it's one of those types of interests, you look for the potential measuring lives: (1) any named beneficiary; (2) anyone who can uniquely and directly affect who the beneficiaries are (only where beneficiaries are described by abstract characteristics; and (3) anyone who can uniquely and directly affect certain events that the contingencies depend upon. So once you got those 3 categories of people in the room, you kill them and see if you can guarantee the interest will vest within 21 yrs. The key for me at least is to understand 2 things: (1) the validating life can be one of the individuals to whom the particular future interest is unrelated to (as long as they are in those 3 categories) and (2) be VERY SUSPICIOUS if the future interest is not tied to the LIFESPAN of a human being. You cannot use companies and shit obviously as measuring lives. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Vested remainders subject to open are a bitch though.

Quoting these in case I need them in the future for my outlines (idk when/if we're studying this in my property class).

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 pm

SportsFan wrote:Started reading Dressler today to supplement my crim outline. Wow, I can already see why its so highly recommended. Its definitely helping clear up stuff that I didn't seem to catch in class.

+1. My CB (Kadish) and professor are pretty useless in describing the law. My outline is VERY Dressler driven now. Obviously, still have content from the CB, but this is way more focused

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Ok I haven't even started reviewing RAP but let me throw one out there. If I will my property to my grandchildren what RAP issues come up if any?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Finding Ks class to be super straightforward and am getting worried I won't be able to find the tough issues on the test. Anyone have advice on forks, etc? I have Chirelstein, any other suggestions?

Can anyone recommend the Barbri lecture?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”