OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:19 pm

stillwater wrote:
LSL wrote:CSWS warriors,

I need your advice. There are no good outlines for my civ pro class, so I'm making mine from scratch. I've put about a day into copying the parts of the Crunchtime book to use as the basis of my outline. However, I'm getting the impression that using the Acing Civ Pro book as an outline would be a better idea. I could use the main parts as my outline, and use the mini-checklists as my attack outline.

Thoughts? Is this a good plan?


outline Freer.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:17 pm

LSL wrote:CSWS warriors,

I need your advice. There are no good outlines for my civ pro class, so I'm making mine from scratch. I've put about a day into copying the parts of the Crunchtime book to use as the basis of my outline. However, I'm getting the impression that using the Acing Civ Pro book as an outline would be a better idea. I could use the main parts as my outline, and use the mini-checklists as my attack outline.

Thoughts? Is this a good plan?

I used Acing Civ Pro's checklists and modified based on my prof's idiosyncrasies. Worked great.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 am

Once again I am the absolute last person in the entire law school. And I'd have it no other way.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm

this thread is a DISGRACE now

Benjamin1987
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Benjamin1987 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Civ Pro flow charts, friends care to share? :D

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:57 pm

So all 3 of my exams last semester were unlimited words, and typical long hypo issue spotters. This semester I have 2 multiple choice and 2 word limited essay. Definitely changing up my study methods now that my outlines are looking good... That said, I do feel like these types of exams will favor me and work to my advantage. But we'll see, I guess.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:12 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

im trying to figure how to get out from under all this Con Law reading i have to do. it's drowning the time I could be outlining and shit. what should i do men?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 pm

stillwater wrote:im trying to figure how to get out from under all this Con Law reading i have to do. it's drowning the time I could be outlining and shit. what should i do men?


Canned briefs if you aren't already doing so. Lectures + supplements should round out your knowledge of them more than adequately.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Civ Pro E&E (make sure you grab updated versions of a few rules from Lexis or West) + Freer BarBri lectures = why even go to class?


I need something that simple for property...

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:im trying to figure how to get out from under all this Con Law reading i have to do. it's drowning the time I could be outlining and shit. what should i do men?


Canned briefs if you aren't already doing so. Lectures + supplements should round out your knowledge of them more than adequately.


I think its interesting and such but I can't read 50-60 pages of con law cases twice a week. It's killing me. Professor also gives out detailed outlines after every class.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Civ Pro E&E (make sure you grab updated versions of a few rules from Lexis or West) + Freer BarBri lectures = why even go to class?


I need something that simple for property...


SOmewhere online there is updated chapters for the CivPro E&E that i made use of. It brings up to date Chapters 1, 8 and 9 I believe, if my memory serves me right.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I know absolutely nothing in Con. I'm caught up in Civ Pro and have made great progress in Property, but have a ton of work to do in Con. Thankfully everyone says its the most crammable, and the test is an 8 hour take-home format...which might help? Not sure.

I have the crunchtime and the Chemerinsky supplement. It might just be a matter of spending a weekend in the library trying to do as much as I can.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:im trying to figure how to get out from under all this Con Law reading i have to do. it's drowning the time I could be outlining and shit. what should i do men?


Canned briefs if you aren't already doing so. Lectures + supplements should round out your knowledge of them more than adequately.


any recommendations on where to find the finest canned briefs

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:59 pm

stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:im trying to figure how to get out from under all this Con Law reading i have to do. it's drowning the time I could be outlining and shit. what should i do men?


Canned briefs if you aren't already doing so. Lectures + supplements should round out your knowledge of them more than adequately.


any recommendations on where to find the finest canned briefs


Frankly, I just google and click the first few things that pop up. So far they all seem to be fine. Haven't noticed any discrepancies between those and Chem or the lectures. My prof may, of course, emphasize different things, but I just make sure to note that.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Thought you guys would appreciate this:

Kid raises his hand in property: professor, I was informed that the doctrine of merger should apply to class on Thursday.
Professor: ....what?
Kid: well class is canceled tomorrow and Friday and therefore they should merge and class should be canceled on Thursday.
Everyone: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Prof: nice try.
Last edited by Pleasye on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Pleasye wrote:Thought you guys would appreciate this:

Kid raises his hand in property: professor, I was informed that the doctrine of merger should apply to class on Thursday.
Professor: ....what?
Kid: well class is canceled tomorrow and Friday and therefore they should merge and class should be canceled on Thursday.
Everyone: :lol: :lol: :lol
Prof: nice try.


Today

Kid raises his hand in crim: one quick question ... 5 minutes later ends hypo.
Everyone: :|

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Just accepted a summer internship working for the environmental department of my university. I'll spend the summer researching and writing one document and, at the end of the summer, that document will be published under my name.

I have no interest in environmental law but do have an interest in not being stressed about summer employment. Casual dress and I won't have to move for this gig. Sold.

Hopefully this doesn't hinder me next year at OCI by shoving me into an environmental law niche that I have no interest in being a part of.


Everyone says "just do something law related." Check. Plus, you're being published. Not fucking bad.


I got strangely lucky during my job search.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Just accepted a summer internship working for the environmental department of my university. I'll spend the summer researching and writing one document and, at the end of the summer, that document will be published under my name.

I have no interest in environmental law but do have an interest in not being stressed about summer employment. Casual dress and I won't have to move for this gig. Sold.

Hopefully this doesn't hinder me next year at OCI by shoving me into an environmental law niche that I have no interest in being a part of.

It's your 1L summer. You're not getting stuck in any niches because of it.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

When do commerce clause cases start mattering? I'm putting all the early shit in my outline, but is everything pre-Lopez useless for analogizing/distinguishing?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 am

stillwater wrote:Today

Kid raises his hand in crim: one quick question ... 5 minutes later ends hypo.
Everyone: :|

Yeah but this is every day in law school.
Last edited by Pleasye on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 am

Bronck wrote:When do commerce clause cases start mattering? I'm putting all the early shit in my outline, but is everything pre-Lopez useless for analogizing/distinguishing?

I think it depends on your professor. Mine specifically told us we need to know the older ones, presumably because he wants us to argue using both the old precedents and the new ones. But your professor could be completely different.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kensey, LawHammer and 3 guests