OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bronck

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:51 am

Damn, you guys spent so much time on it. We spent maybe a week on all of FI and RAP.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:30 am

Mother fucker. Con Law takes forever to outline. Fuck, but I feel mad good. Combining briefs + class notes + Chemerinsky + LR outline = profit.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:15 am

For Con Law my professor seems to really like Jackson's Youngstown approach, and said that after Dames & Moore v. Regan, the court has pretty much adopted it as the test..... does that mean I should leave out the other 3 approaches in Youngstown that Chemerinsky covers? Or would it be good to leave those in the OL in case of any policy points?

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:29 am

Bronck wrote:For Con Law my professor seems to really like Jackson's Youngstown approach, and said that after Dames & Moore v. Regan, the court has pretty much adopted it as the test..... does that mean I should leave out the other 3 approaches in Youngstown that Chemerinsky covers? Or would it be good to leave those in the OL in case of any policy points?

Bronck. I have been reading the relevant Chemerinsky sections, but regarding OLing, I have been following my professor's preferences. Unless your professor is a "hide the ball" type, I don't see a reason to include it. Anything additional I add from Chemerinsky includes definitions and examples. I do add some policy, if I feel my professor will appreciate it.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:15 am

What supplement is good practice for objective Crim Law questions?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:15 am

PinkLotus wrote:What supplement is good practice for objective Crim Law questions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0195391772/

Not sure what you mean by objective, but this is a good supp for extra crim issue spotting practice. Less substantive than Dressler's supp but more focused on exams.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:26 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:28 am

Ahahaha, I love it dude. I can see it now, on an exam:

"We must now analyze whether the rule against perpetuities invalidates the conveyance. Assuming that all future grantees are brutally killed by an axe murder, we must determine whether all the interests would have vested."

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:35 am

Jsa725 wrote:
stillwater wrote:dudes, how long will it take me to learn to apply RAP? I'm a pretty quick study but I've been procrastinating learning this last piece. Any tips before I embark on this project?

Jsa725 wrote:IIRC, for RAP... create all future grantees that are not lives in being, then KILL all lives in being. if an interest can VEST more than 21 years after this mass killing... then RAP is applicable and the interest does not exist. key distinction is when the grantees interest VESTS not when they TAKE possession ... aka, an interest can vest now but the grantee can take 40 years later and still be valid.

fucking RAP :evil:

Looks like I am gonna have to roll up the sleeves on this one.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 am

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Nelson wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:What supplement is good practice for objective Crim Law questions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0195391772/

Not sure what you mean by objective, but this is a good supp for extra crim issue spotting practice. Less substantive than Dressler's supp but more focused on exams.

By "objective" I mean T/F, multiple choice, short answer, etc.

You from Philly? :)

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:14 pm

I used the create, kill, count strategy too. But be careful with the Unborn Widow Rule, there are a few nuances. But yeah, I had RAP down in less than a day.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Joseph Glannon...will u marry me plz??

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:18 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Joseph Glannon...will u marry me plz??

--ImageRemoved--

oh yeah baby

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:38 pm

mephistopheles wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

oh yeah baby

he's also like 5'4

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 pm

It is an honor to stand by you gentlemen and ladies. I look forward to the month of April. It's almost time.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:39 pm

I have an upperclassman who gave me a ton of outlines that I use in making mine. Halfway through my crim law outline I realize that one of the outlines he gave me is from the same professor and the outline is spot on and perfect. I am very tempted to stop outlining the class and just use his outline and interject class notes in to it while spending the time I would be outlining reading over it before finals studying actually beings.

I'm hesitant because I didn't do this last semester and I did really good grade wise. Our exam will be strictly applying our states penal code. Thoughts?

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Devlin wrote:I have an upperclassman who gave me a ton of outlines that I use in making mine. Halfway through my crim law outline I realize that one of the outlines he gave me is from the same professor and the outline is spot on and perfect. I am very tempted to stop outlining the class and just use his outline and interject class notes in to it while spending the time I would be outlining reading over it before finals studying actually beings.

I'm hesitant because I didn't do this last semester and I did really good grade wise. Our exam will be strictly applying our states penal code. Thoughts?

Depends if you learn better by reading or writing. I have outlines from LR students, but I still make my own. Takes longer, but I'm forced to think and properly synthesize and organize multiple sources. I understand the material a lot better and am better prepared to take PTs.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:52 pm

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

stillwater wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

oh yeah baby

he's also like 5'4

Lol. He's the reason I won't fail this inferno of a class. :)

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:04 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
Devlin wrote:I have an upperclassman who gave me a ton of outlines that I use in making mine. Halfway through my crim law outline I realize that one of the outlines he gave me is from the same professor and the outline is spot on and perfect. I am very tempted to stop outlining the class and just use his outline and interject class notes in to it while spending the time I would be outlining reading over it before finals studying actually beings.

Depends if you learn better by reading or writing. I have outlines from LR students, but I still make my own. Takes longer, but I'm forced to think and properly synthesize and organize multiple sources. I understand the material a lot better and am better prepared to take PTs.

My outline process is basically copying pasting class notes and material from other outlines in to my outline. I don't think I learn much when I do that, instead I think I learn most by reading my outline a million times going up to finals.

Also, the class is a closed book final. So I'm unsure if that means I should probably keep making my own or just use one that will be superior to mine.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Devlin wrote:Also, the class is a closed book final. So I'm unsure if that means I should probably keep making my own or just use one that will be superior to mine.

I'd suggest you make your own while consulting the one you were given. Get a feel for why the prof uses a closed book final, though. Does the prof just want to artificially create some separation to make grading easier? Does the prof. not really care about case specifics and cares more about general theory? &c.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm

The entire exam is applying the penal code to a few fact patterns.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:43 pm

anyone else think Con Law is as lulzy as I do?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:28 pm

stillwater wrote:anyone else think Con Law is as lulzy as I do?

yep. i laughed out loud quite a few times.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”