OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7300
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 pm

RE eyesight: absolutely, dude. All of this squinting at CBs is killing my vision.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15461
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Got a 6 pack of Dos Equis and OneNote open on my computer. Time to get serious.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7300
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I need to get on your level.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:13 pm

KenLogginsDangerZone wrote:RE eyesight: absolutely, dude. All of this squinting at CBs is killing my vision.


i lost a quarter on each eye first semester.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:56 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Feeling solid today. Finished half of one class's outlining. Must continue!

User avatar
MauriceGains
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby MauriceGains » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Good work folks, and I absolutely agree with the comment about vision. Mine's definitely worse than in August, and depth perception is sometimes an issue, lol (that feel when you're almost always looking at a screen or small text in a book). Polishing my brief, but the bulk of it's done and not due until Friday. On my Donald Trump shit.

GSCgold
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby GSCgold » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:17 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
GSCgold wrote:Alright, Spring Break is over for me as well so time to get plugged back into this thread. Hate to say it, but every 30 minutes in the library feels like 2 hours (not in how much work I get done... instead how badly I want to leave). I'm having to mix up the study locations so I don't burn out. WE'RE SO CLOSE TO DONE.

I was able to land a firm job over break and am done with legal writing so ready to CSWS. Side note: anyone feel like their eyesight has gotten terrible since starting law school?

I feel pretty good about most of my classes, but after each Con Law class its like I got hit by a train. Absolutely miserable. The prof is really smart (surprise) and funny but he is all over the place and I have no idea what's going on. I have the Chem supplement and spend more time on this class than any other with less to show for it. I've snagged an outline randomly from a student who got an A from the same prof while at another school and class is basically the same (this prof hasn't taught the class at my school) so I think that's a distinct advantage. Any advice on whether I should ditch the readings and instead just focus on getting the main ideas from Chem and studying that outline (its like 100 pages, so like a mini treatise)?

I'm hesitant, but if you guys think its a good idea then I'm all in.


I've been studying at home for the past few weeks, rather than at the library, and have found it to be a great change of pace. Sweatpants, snacks, and some headphones to tune out my roommate, have worked wonders for my productivity.

During the last few weeks of fall semester, I began studying at some of the other libraries around the university campus to get a break from the law library, as well. Worked wonders.

As far as Con Law is concerned, I'm in a similar boat. I feel like I understand the material when I read the casebook and Chemerinsky, but when I try to outline the material I find connecting the dots difficult.

If you have an outline from a former student who received an A, I say look to the outline to see what's important (might be hard considering the length) and get a good understanding of that material from Chemerinksy. Most of the cases are going to be in Chemerinsky's supplement and, so long as you pay attention in class so as to catch any professorial quirks or departures from the norm, you should be fine. I relied very heavily on supplements my first semester, despite every professor saying not to, and did quite well.



Great advice -- appreciated. I guess I'm going exploring around campus the next few days.

Glad to hear that I'm not just suffering from a severe Vitamin A deficiency.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

So hard to get work done when it's light outside.

Also, I feel like I should go to Duane Reade and get snacks or something. I have no food in this apartment

User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Raiden » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Whatever happened to Swimmer? Him and LGL used to be pwning this thread...I remember his GF gave him some issues at the wrong moment. Hope all is going well for him.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Raiden wrote:Whatever happened to Swimmer? Him and LGL used to be pwning this thread...I remember his GF gave him some issues at the wrong moment. Hope all is going well for him.

Good question. It says he logged in last week. I PMed him to come back to the thread about a month ago, but he hasnt read it.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Arrow wrote:Other times I motivated myself by appealing to my love for science fiction/fantasy. I remember times where I pretended I was Harry Potter or Raistlin Majere, and that I was studying tomes of magic. I analogized studying law to magic, and thought about all the cool power and intellectual satisfaction it would bring. Silly perhaps, but hey it worked and I continued studying.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Nova wrote:
Arrow wrote:Other times I motivated myself by appealing to my love for science fiction/fantasy. I remember times where I pretended I was Harry Potter or Raistlin Majere, and that I was studying tomes of magic. I analogized studying law to magic, and thought about all the cool power and intellectual satisfaction it would bring. Silly perhaps, but hey it worked and I continued studying.


Great quote, bro. I am exhausted and drained, but I am having fun outlining. Truth be told, we all know outlining is self-destructive, but we need to find some motivation

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Almost all finished with the first draft of my Crim OL. Outlining the content covered thus far is definitely achievable in 2 half-days (i.e., you could grind it out in one day if you wanted).

It's of course not perfect, but that's what post-Spring Break is for: revising the content and accessibility of it

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:49 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Another great day to grind ahead. Re-reading GTM and finishing my Civ Pro outline.

Is it just me or does GTM make a lot more sense after a full semester of law school? It just clicks. Beforehand, I was like whaaat?!?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I BEGIN MY 6-WEEK MARCH TO GREATNESS TODAY.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 pm

MauriceGains wrote:Good work folks, and I absolutely agree with the comment about vision. Mine's definitely worse than in August, and depth perception is sometimes an issue, lol (that feel when you're almost always looking at a screen or small text in a book). Polishing my brief, but the bulk of it's done and not due until Friday. On my Donald Trump shit.


I see fuzzy.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
Nova wrote:
Arrow wrote:Other times I motivated myself by appealing to my love for science fiction/fantasy. I remember times where I pretended I was Harry Potter or Raistlin Majere, and that I was studying tomes of magic. I analogized studying law to magic, and thought about all the cool power and intellectual satisfaction it would bring. Silly perhaps, but hey it worked and I continued studying.


Great quote, bro. I am exhausted and drained, but I am having fun outlining. Truth be told, we all know outlining is self-destructive, but we need to find some motivation

self-destructive in what way?

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby smaug_ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Ugh. Checking in now that I'd doing work, but I have the distinct feeling I'm behind. I'm trying to get through my property readings for the term (should finish tomorrow) and I'm hoping to finish Crim by the weekend. I haven't started outlining as I like to have my shit together first.

Con Law scares me senseless.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 pm

hibiki wrote:Ugh. Checking in now that I'd doing work, but I have the distinct feeling I'm behind. I'm trying to get through my property readings for the term (should finish tomorrow) and I'm hoping to finish Crim by the weekend. I haven't started outlining as I like to have my shit together first.

Con Law scares me senseless.


I hear ya. But, the handful of friends I've talked to are in no better shape than you, so I don't think you're too far behind. Still plenty of time to catch up.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Any of you bros have admin exams w/ sample answers?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 pm

gaud wrote:Any of you bros have admin exams w/ sample answers?

My admin exam is 55 multiple choice questions. No sample questions. My prof be like HAHAURFUCKED.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Pleasye wrote:
gaud wrote:Any of you bros have admin exams w/ sample answers?

My admin exam is 55 multiple choice questions. No sample questions. My prof be like HAHAURFUCKED.


I seriously lol'd at that last part

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 am

Made a pretty good dent in my IP outline. Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow and start Con Law on Friday.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests