OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LetsGoLAW

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Nova wrote:CSWS marathon today. Already knocked out one of my P/F class's assignments for next week. On to the important stuff!

When is everyones spring break? I have class next week, but then have the following week off.

What are everyones plans? Going home? Vacation? CSWS SEPARATION?

Im probably going to visit my parents for a few days, but then get back to base for a CSWS marathon. Hopfully I will have solidified my knowledge of everything up to this point well enough to start doing Hypos.

I'll be CSWSing till May, baby. Another 9 hour day today.

I took a different approach. I've been reading ahead in the supplements and practicing hypos throughout the semester. Downside is, OLing is put off a bit, but I grabbed some "A" OLs. Good news is analysis gets As. KEEP THAT GRIND UP.

Edit: The fuck have you all been?!?

I'm going out tonight. Last night of the semester. Ahead 3-4 weeks in all supps, so one last hurrah before the ultimate grind.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:45 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
Nova wrote:CSWS marathon today. Already knocked out one of my P/F class's assignments for next week. On to the important stuff!

When is everyones spring break? I have class next week, but then have the following week off.

What are everyones plans? Going home? Vacation? CSWS SEPARATION?

Im probably going to visit my parents for a few days, but then get back to base for a CSWS marathon. Hopfully I will have solidified my knowledge of everything up to this point well enough to start doing Hypos.

I'll be CSWSing till May, baby. Another 9 hour day today.

I took a different approach. I've been reading ahead in the supplements and practicing hypos throughout the semester. Downside is, OLing is put off a bit, but I grabbed some "A" OLs. Good news is analysis gets As. KEEP THAT GRIND UP.

Edit: The fuck have you all been?!?

I'm going out tonight. Last night of the semester. Ahead 3-4 weeks in all supps, so one last hurrah before the ultimate grind.

brah - out of curiosity - why you 3-4 weeks ahead in the supps?

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Read all of landlord-tenant today, now on to homicide. Getting work done, fellas. CSWS

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Spring break. Slept in, had a nice breakfast, and outlining torts.

Will get an A. Need that A. Studying while others relax gets the A.

Let's do it.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Grinding today. Let's get that cake.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Doctors appointment until 4, and then hitting the books all night. I didn't study for shit during spring break, and I pretty much need to learn all of Property and Con Law before finals -- I CAN DO IT.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Call me crazy, but it seems as if Property is nothing more than a series of rules, divided into majority and minority rules, and exceptions, with further majority and minority applications, each of which applies to a certain question, like landlord-tenant or adverse possession. I suppose that's vague, but I'm trying to understand my own conception of this surprisingly intuitive class.

My professor says our final will be a take-home paper, not an issue-spotter, because it better tests one's understanding of the material. I can agree with that, but it also seems as if the rules have a sort of rote application that's missing a layer of complexity I saw in other classes. Does anyone else agree with this view of the law of property, or am I just missing something?

Hope you fellas are doing wurk today. Taking a week off LRW (next week will be dedicated exclusively to a brief worth half the grade) so it's all reading textbooks and E&Es today.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 pm

MauriceGains wrote:Call me crazy, but it seems as if Property is nothing more than a series of rules, divided into majority and minority rules, and exceptions, with further majority and minority applications, each of which applies to a certain question, like landlord-tenant or adverse possession. I suppose that's vague, but I'm trying to understand my own conception of this surprisingly intuitive class.

My professor says our final will be a take-home paper, not an issue-spotter, because it better tests one's understanding of the material. I can agree with that, but it also seems as if the rules have a sort of rote application that's missing a layer of complexity I saw in other classes. Does anyone else agree with this view of the law of property, or am I just missing something?

Hope you fellas are doing wurk today. Taking a week off LRW (next week will be dedicated exclusively to a brief worth half the grade) so it's all reading textbooks and E&Es today.

I agree, but how is that any different from CivPro?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Maurice you are basically right. Might want to look at some theory though (like Hobbes and shit).

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:48 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
MauriceGains wrote:Call me crazy, but it seems as if Property is nothing more than a series of rules, divided into majority and minority rules, and exceptions, with further majority and minority applications, each of which applies to a certain question, like landlord-tenant or adverse possession. I suppose that's vague, but I'm trying to understand my own conception of this surprisingly intuitive class.

I agree, but how is that any different from CivPro?

I don't think it is. Maybe my opinions about the class before taking it were that it would be a muddled mess without clear direction, given the common law development of the subject, and it's only that this view proved very wrong. I'm not particularly interested in the topic personally, so I'm just a little uneasy about its lack of challenge compared to even criminal law. Then again, I thought CivPro was fairly easy as well, and I got burned by seeing it as a series of yes/no answers instead of maybes. Don't wish to repeat that, lol.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Maurice you are basically right. Might want to look at some theory though (like Hobbes and shit).
Yeah, definitely. My background is political theory and the Dukeminier book has a ton of explanation about feudal origins of everything so I'm trying to keep in mind old rule/new rule stuff too. Thanks. :)

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:16 pm

The way I see it, for law school exams, there's not a yes/no/maybe answer at all. First, there's a "yes" argument and a "no" argument, and you have to be an advocate for both. After making both arguments, you pick which one is the stronger of the two and explain why. Or, if it's a tossup, say exactly that and explain why.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:50 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:The way I see it, for law school exams, there's not a yes/no/maybe answer at all. First, there's a "yes" argument and a "no" argument, and you have to be an advocate for both. After making both arguments, you pick which one is the stronger of the two and explain why. Or, if it's a tossup, say exactly that and explain why.
Yeah, I agree. That was my problem with Civ.Pro. - forgetting to do that by making an assumption about a fact and then just following the flowchart. I think Property won't be a problem like that, I've just been surprised because I expected a beastly nightmare of a class, not a boring but straightforward one.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm

My crim notes are such a clusterfuck because my professor spends the entire class asking questions and proposing hypos. No organizational structure to them whatsoever.

It's making typing them up a bitch.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Three consecutive social outings missed to grind. I rarely go out anyway, but the homebody-ness is apparent in this one. Feels John Goodman. Looking forward to spring break at the end of the month. I need more time out of the classroom and more time to outline and work E&Es.

“I was taught to strive not because there were any guarantees of success but because the act of striving is in itself the only way to keep faith with life." - Madeleine Albright

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm

So, what is everyone's "last hurrah"? Mine will be the PILF (summer stipend) auction on 3/14. Although Beast Mode already commenced, things will reallllllly kick into overdrive after that!

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 pm

I took a long weekend last weekend before spring break.. Went home visited friends and drank my face off. Now locked into the grind. Glad I got it out of my system so that I can have a productive spring break.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm

PinkLotus wrote:So, what is everyone's "last hurrah"? Mine will be the PILF (summer stipend) auction on 3/14. Although Beast Mode already commenced, things will reallllllly kick into overdrive after that!

This past weekend. Now, time to finish the few remaining E&E chapters, finish outlining, and PTing all April!

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Checking In. Cutting my reading to an hour for each class. Re-reading GTM. And catching up my outline in the next two weeks.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 pm

westphillybandr wrote:Checking In. Cutting my reading to an hour for each class. Re-reading GTM. And catching up my outline in the next two weeks.

real talk.. did anyone else find GTM not helpful at all?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:Checking In. Cutting my reading to an hour for each class. Re-reading GTM. And catching up my outline in the next two weeks.

It was useful early in the semester. It helps with note taking and outlining and stuff, but you want to tailor your finals to your profs so you shouldn't follow GTM too much.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

It was useful early in the semester. It helps with note taking and outlining and stuff, but you want to tailor your finals to your profs so you shouldn't follow GTM too much.

only one of my exams even approximated what GTM was geared towards, and she did not want that style of answer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”