OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Pleasye

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 am

Mid and small firms and still some PI stuff for sure, there are plenty of jobs left.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 am

Doorkeeper wrote:What jerbs are still open in March? I know most of fedgov, firms, and shiny PI stuff has gone already. Judges? Local PI stuff?

Def not too late for many PI jobs. Do you have access to the U of A Gov Honors listings? There are deadlines as late as April on there.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

WHO ON THEY 14 HOUR GRIND TODAY?

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Just spent 3+ hours on my gov clearance stuff that should have been spent on my memo/readings.

Time to freak out and grind.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:WHO ON THEY 14 HOUR GRIND TODAY?

LW ALL DAY

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Fire Under the Ass Pact--let's go! This is our time to shine. :D

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:36 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:What jerbs are still open in March? I know most of fedgov, firms, and shiny PI stuff has gone already. Judges? Local PI stuff?

Def not too late for many PI jobs. Do you have access to the U of A Gov Honors listings? There are deadlines as late as April on there.

What about Judges?

I feel like a complete fucking moron for not applying in December.

The CSWSing burned me the fuck out.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm

need...motivation...to do LW...

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Nova wrote:need...motivation...to do LW...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtor%27s_prison

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Nova wrote:need...motivation...to do LW...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtor%27s_prison

FML

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

What about Judges?

I feel like a complete fucking moron for not applying in December.

The CSWSing burned me the fuck out.

Probably too late for federal judges chambers, but not for less "high-profile" ones...does your school have an alum directory? Like you, I didn't apply in December b/c I was like "f*ck this shit, I'm burnt out", but I was fortunate to cop a position last month thru an alum of my law school, who in fact interviewed me.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 am

I hope you are all ready... It's coming...

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:45 am

So, CSWS'ers, what are your fave motivation jams?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYxT9GM0fQ&noredirect=1
^My Oct. 2010 LSAT anthem. Love the energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntn1-SocNiY
^Really, any sports jam does it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLbyOthwnc
^Obviously given the LGL connection, and LOL at the TLS-specific comments. :lol:

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 am

I went to Philly for Spring Break and all I got was this lousy t-shirt :P :

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 am

TFW all but one class is a total waste of time and you would be able to accomplish more work if poor attendance didn't batter your grade.

9-9 today folks, and a push workout somewhere in between.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 am

8 week mark is here!

--ImageRemoved--

Stop dicking around, Pink. It's now or never.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm

What point in the semester is ideal for forming study groups? Is next week too early?

Also, is it sketch that the girl who invited me to study with her and several others NEVER attends class? For instance, last semester beyond early-Oct. she literally never showed up at all. I assumed she dropped out or took a leave of absence until I saw her fb status updates about taking finals. Even this semester, her attendance is incredibly sporadic...maybe 10-15% of the time. It's just really odd. She does work (runs her own tutoring business), even tho BC only has an FT program and the Dean strongly discourages 1Ls from being employed during the semester.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Alone in the library. Brings me solitude.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:Alone in the library. Brings me solitude.

Reminds me of this boss quote from xeoh85, a UCLA 1L who was #1 in his class and was accepted as a transfer to the Holy Trinity:

But more importantly, a competitive spirit is what kept me from burning out. I have always been motivated to be the best.
When I would be the last person to leave the library at midnight, it would re-fuel my motivation and energy.
I was not the last poor sap to finish his work and return home for the day. No no no.
On those late nights when I was the last to leave the law school... I was the last man standing.

slowclap.gif

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:What point in the semester is ideal for forming study groups? Is next week too early?

Also, is it sketch that the girl who invited me to study with her and several others NEVER attends class? For instance, last semester beyond early-Oct. she literally never showed up at all. I assumed she dropped out or took a leave of absence until I saw her fb status updates about taking finals. Even this semester, her attendance is incredibly sporadic...maybe 10-15% of the time. It's just really odd. She does work (runs her own tutoring business), even tho BC only has an FT program and the Dean strongly discourages 1Ls from being employed during the semester.

I'll be studying with the same group as last semester. We enjoyed studying together, know what works for us and we all ended up significantly above median, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to switch things up now. We plan to have our outlines finished by the time we return from spring break and spend the following 5-6 weeks before finals begin running through practice exams, quizzing one another, etc.

As for the girl who never attends class, so long as she's competent with the material I don't see any reason to avoid studying with her (unless she isn't showing up to group study sessions, in which case, ditch her).

Thanks...I was just worried about the "free rider" effect. I just don't get why someone would go into so much debt for law school and not bother showing up!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am

PinkLotus wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:What point in the semester is ideal for forming study groups? Is next week too early?

I'll be studying with the same group as last semester. We enjoyed studying together, know what works for us and we all ended up significantly above median, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to switch things up now. We plan to have our outlines finished by the time we return from spring break and spend the following 5-6 weeks before finals begin running through practice exams, quizzing one another, etc.

As for the girl who never attends class, so long as she's competent with the material I don't see any reason to avoid studying with her (unless she isn't showing up to group study sessions, in which case, ditch her).

Thanks...I was just worried about the "free rider" effect. I just don't get why someone would go into so much debt for law school and not bother showing up!

i dunno, class is a flame. i really dont think it adds anything other than gleaning your professor's idiosyncrasies, which don't take all year to figure out and entertain your professor's ego by not insulting him/her through a lack of attendance.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 am

stillwater wrote:class is a flame.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”