OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
minnbills

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby minnbills » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:46 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:My prof hasn't even MENTIONED jurisdiction once... outside of "This case has a jurisdiction matter, but that won't be addressed until civpro II. For our purposes...."

Nice.

rbomb

Postby rbomb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:46 pm

BOOYA. Torts and Crim Law Readings/ Outlines done. PTS start tomorrow. Fellas and gals, life is a game if inches. CSWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU9oVGr1KE

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm

rbomb wrote:BOOYA. Torts and Crim Law Readings/ Outlines done. PTS start tomorrow. Fellas and gals, life is a game if inches. CSWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU9oVGr1KE

ATTA BOY

Rdubs

Postby Rdubs » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Adjusted to life as a 1L? Want to have a little fun (I know they said we weren't supposed to) in the last few weeks of cold calls? Join the Law School Word of the Day facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/295266493918891/

A little late to be starting it up, but better late than never!

Spread the word, and lets have a little fun while we still can!

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Rdubs wrote:Adjusted to life as a 1L? Want to have a little fun (I know they said we weren't supposed to) in the last few weeks of cold calls? Join the Law School Word of the Day facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/295266493918891/

A little late to be starting it up, but better late than never!

Spread the word, and lets have a little fun while we still can!

My section has been doing it all year, it is hilarious. There have been occasions we get the professor to repeat the WOTD, and those are just great times.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Final memo submitted. Outlines finished. This weekend it beings.

I'm nervous :?

thewaterlanding

Postby thewaterlanding » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 pm

gaud wrote:Final memo submitted. Outlines finished. This weekend it beings.

I'm nervous :?

I'm right behind you. We got this!

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:06 am

I am not far behind you. I am submitting my memo on Friday and finishing my reading for the semester by Friday as well. Saturday and Sunday I will finish my outlines and then it is Hypo work and E&E grinding for 3 weeks.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 am

Today I have:

added 20 pages to my CP outline.
Read for Conlaw
Read for CP
Read E&E

I need to do more or I am not going to be done with my outlines in time to do enough PTs.

thelong

Postby thelong » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 am

I'm looking forward to the weekend -- so I can have more time to outline.

After a week off due to Sandy all of our classes have been extended by a half hour, which also means an extra hour of reading for each (+12-15 hours class+reading total per week). So, while I have been putting together my materials and getting my prep taken care of, there is even less time to do so.

Which makes me pretty pleased that I've at least kept pace earlier in the semester with my E&Es and supplements so I don't have to try and cram them in now.

Goal this weekend: Finish outlining so I can start PTing over thanksgiving break. Real goal: finish at least one outline and make substantial progress on the others so I can PT over thanksgiving break.

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:52 pm

thelong wrote:I'm looking forward to the weekend -- so I can have more time to outline.

After a week off due to Sandy all of our classes have been extended by a half hour, which also means an extra hour of reading for each (+12-15 hours class+reading total per week). So, while I have been putting together my materials and getting my prep taken care of, there is even less time to do so.

Which makes me pretty pleased that I've at least kept pace earlier in the semester with my E&Es and supplements so I don't have to try and cram them in now.

Goal this weekend: Finish outlining so I can start PTing over thanksgiving break. Real goal: finish at least one outline and make substantial progress on the others so I can PT over thanksgiving break.
Yuh, get after it!!

Finishing LRW today and the last of my readings (Just 150 pages of Contracts left!!) tomorrow/Saturday, then on to outlining and PTing.. CSWS

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

feeling of burning out impending ... what do I do gang

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:feeling of burning out impending ... what do I do gang

Take some time off. Quality > Quantity

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbomb

Postby rbomb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:20 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:feeling of burning out impending ... what do I do gang

Exercise, my brotha. Take some time off to do something that will totally consume your brain...I run, and try to do a mile more than what I feel like doing.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks guys, gotcha. I'm gonna download the Eric Thomas MP3 and go for a run.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Its always a bit of a shock to enter this thread after a day at the law school. Here, most people are ahead on their readings and doing well on their outlines. At my school (a T14, not that that makes a difference) everyone is struggling just to keep up with the reading, let alone outlining (from what I can gather, a lot of people aren't making their own outlines anyway). It's weird, to say the least. Not sure if this is how others experiences are.

Anyway, gonna do some Civ Pro outlining tonight and tomorrow and then Torts and Contracts over the weekend. Depending on how much I get done tomorrow, gonna try to do 2 PT's this weekend (Civ Pro and Contracts). Time to get super serious.

On a slightly unrelated note, the curve is starting to freak me out a bit haha. I'l be pretty happy with median but getting above that would just feel so good...

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Tips for making a 1 page checklist? I keep trying to make it and it turns out like an outline, especially for criminal law and torts, or if you have one even better.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:27 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Tips for making a 1 page checklist? I keep trying to make it and it turns out like an outline, especially for criminal law and torts, or if you have one even better.

What I did for torts was go through every major topic. Make a heading. Insert the first name of the case. The one word to remind me of the rule and one word to remind of the facts. Our prof really wants us to use the cases to analyze the questions so its served me well so far.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:31 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Tips for making a 1 page checklist? I keep trying to make it and it turns out like an outline, especially for criminal law and torts, or if you have one even better.

Maybe just list the most important rules

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Destroy dissapointment.

Annihilate weakness.

Punish the competition.

Nothing less than top 25% for everyone here.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 pm

minnbills wrote:

Maybe just list the most important rules

Whenever I do this it comes out as an outline, kind of is that what it is supposed to be? For example:

Intentional Homicide
Act
Mens Rea
Intent to kill
Extreme recklessness
Intent to inflict serious bodily injury (CL only)
Felony-murder rule (CL only)
Causation
Factual cause (but for test)
Proximate cause (reasonable foreseeability test)
Death
Defenses
Grading

There are indentions under the applicable heading e.g intent to kill indented under Mens Rea

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Alright time to grind. So far today I've done contracts for Monday, and half of conlaw for tomorrow. Got about 2.5 hours of reading left, then grind out my civ pro outline. I want it done by this time tomorrow.

CSWS

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Finishing my Criminal Law outline by re-skimming and adding good nuggets to my outline from the Dressler supplement, other outlines from older students who had my same class. After that, finishing up my K outline by re-skimming it and making sure everything is a go. And for torts finishing up the E&E, and just keep on typing over and over again upper class-men outlines for that class. Since my torts final is closed book I felt it would be more beneficial just to memorize the BLL, immerse myself in the world of torts through the E&E and other supplements, and just retype over and over again outlines from upperclassmen.

I am also going to create a ONE page checklist for every class and, especially for torts, memorize and memorize. So if anyone wants to glance a couple posts up and see if that looks like a good checklist I would be very happy and more than willing to share when I finish :)

CSWS

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”