OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
MauriceGains
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:30 pm

salix wrote:
gaud wrote:Been "working" on my brief today...


Yup.
--ImageRemoved--

RoseAberlone
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby RoseAberlone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:30 pm

greenchair wrote:Drowning in con law. How important is the NFIB case to the big picture? It seems like it is all over the Commerce Clause and Taxing Powers, and none of my supplements (minus Crunchtime) is up to date enough to talk about it. Argh


Disclaimer: Stupid 1L a few weeks into con law. Seems pretty relevant since it's our most recent major interpretation of the commerce, taxing and spending powers. Also as Ginsburg points out in her concurrence it's the first time the court has struck down federal spending legislation as being coercive, so that may imply a shift in doctrine. Or just that the court is incredibly politicized. Might be good to go to your professor or a TA about it — I'm planning on doing that.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm

salix wrote:
gaud wrote:Been "working" on my brief today...


Yup.

Samesies.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
salix wrote:
gaud wrote:Been "working" on my brief today...


Yup.

Samesies.


Guilty of not doing this.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Minimum length for argument section of first draft of brief: 8 pages.

Tiago's submission: 6 pages.

Getting a passing grade seems to require minimum competency, and if they ask for minimum competency by God we will give them minimum competency.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Minimum length for argument section of first draft of brief: 8 pages.

Tiago's submission: 6 pages.

Getting a passing grade seems to require minimum competency, and if they ask for minimum competency by God we will give them minimum competency.


8 pages? holy hell. I'd be happy if I came up with 4

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 pm

My professor just gave us a word limit...

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Had to turn mine in a couple weeks ago, but I was also given a range of 8-10, with 8 being expected. 7 pages, started and finished the same day. That's why we don't schedule brief submissions for the day after the Super Bowl.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Had to turn mine in a couple weeks ago, but I was also given a range of 8-10, with 8 being expected. 7 pages, started and finished the same day. That's why we don't schedule brief submissions for the day after the Super Bowl.



damn, jealous of these page systems.

we're given an incredibly tight word count.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 pm

:?: my section I of my argument took 17 pages and Im saving policy arguments for a whole different section. I think our profs make us write pretty weird though with big distinguished rule explanation spots.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Had to turn mine in a couple weeks ago, but I was also given a range of 8-10, with 8 being expected. 7 pages, started and finished the same day. That's why we don't schedule brief submissions for the day after the Super Bowl.



damn, jealous of these page systems.

we're given an incredibly tight word count.


How tight? (if you're worried it will out you, don't worry about it)

I haven't actually began to write mine and I'm not sure if ours is crazy or not. How many words are in 8 pages?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Our instructor hasn't even told us how many pgs ours should be. He just said submit the first draft of arguments + statement of facts next sunday. My outline was less than a page long and I cited one case. Ready to dominate.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:45 pm

laxbrah420 wrote::?: my section I of my argument took 17 pages and Im saving policy arguments for a whole different section. I think our profs make us write pretty weird though with big distinguished rule explanation spots.


The next brief I'm doing is far more substantial than the other one. We have to have a Table of Contents for it.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:47 pm

gaud wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Had to turn mine in a couple weeks ago, but I was also given a range of 8-10, with 8 being expected. 7 pages, started and finished the same day. That's why we don't schedule brief submissions for the day after the Super Bowl.



damn, jealous of these page systems.

we're given an incredibly tight word count.


How tight? (if you're worried it will out you, don't worry about it)

I haven't actually began to write mine and I'm not sure if ours is crazy or not. How many words are in 8 pages?


it varies. i'm working on our third assignment. we don't do submittable drafts, though. thank god.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 pm

mephistopheles wrote:it varies. i'm working on our third assignment. we don't do submittable drafts, though. thank god.

Submitting drafts is awesome. Forces you to get it out of the way early in the semester plus you can get feedback if you play your cards right.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:it varies. i'm working on our third assignment. we don't do submittable drafts, though. thank god.

Submitting drafts is awesome. Forces you to get it out of the way early in the semester plus you can get feedback if you play your cards right.



meh, i like that most people leave it for the last minute and fail miserably. i put a significantly smaller amount of work into legal writing than my substantive classes and don't suffer as much as a result.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Image

^Me after watching the Freer Civ Pro lecture... :D

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Minimum length for argument section of first draft of brief: 8 pages.

Tiago's submission: 6 pages.

Getting a passing grade seems to require minimum competency, and if they ask for minimum competency by God we will give them minimum competency.

I really fucking hate that our legal writing class is graded.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm

All of our writing classes are graded :?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm

On my downtime over the weekend, should I: a) read supplements, b) start typing up notes for outlining, or c) read ahead?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm

I'd outline. Reading ahead never seems to help (IMO)

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm

gaud wrote:I'd outline. Reading ahead never seems to help (IMO)


id do supps. i like outlining later on bc it serves the dual purpose of review at that point.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:24 pm

stillwater wrote:
gaud wrote:I'd outline. Reading ahead never seems to help (IMO)


id do supps. i like outlining later on bc it serves the dual purpose of review at that point.


I can get behind this. Anything but reading ahead lol

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

gaud wrote:
stillwater wrote:
gaud wrote:I'd outline. Reading ahead never seems to help (IMO)


id do supps. i like outlining later on bc it serves the dual purpose of review at that point.


I can get behind this. Anything but reading ahead lol


i agree wholeheartedly. i never saw the benefit of reading ahead. reading mostly is a big flame, unless your prof is weird and loves random little details of cases.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

stillwater wrote: reading mostly is a big flame, unless your prof is weird and loves random little details of cases.


Con Law :|




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chill_Out, ididntwantsalmon and 6 guests