OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BuckinghamB

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 am

Robert Paulson wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck

I've done like half the reading on future interests, and it's not bad at all. I highly recommend "A possessory estates and future interests primer." But I have heard RAP blows.

+ a million. I posted a link to that book earlier ITT. Even if you are completely lost, after reading that book cover to cover, you just get it. That was probably my favorite topic first semester just because it's so formulaic.

Edit: my review includes the book's usefulness for RAP, too.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 am

Google and Wikipedia are my friends for understanding property. RAP gonna rape me this upcoming week though. Fuark.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 am

You'll be fine bro. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Google and Wikipedia are my friends for understanding property. RAP gonna rape me this upcoming week though. Fuark.

I strongly recommend Emmanuel's flashcards for property (note that there's a separate box set for future interest).

Rule of Perpetuity is not actually that hard; figuring out how to apply it to a given situation is harder.

I suggest drawing out a timeline for all future interest problems, including any contingent or conditional future interests. It'll help you parse the text and organize the various interests

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Google and Wikipedia are my friends for understanding property. RAP gonna rape me this upcoming week though. Fuark.

RAP is hard because the rule is stupid. But just keep practicing and you'll beat it. You'll be fine. At the end of the day, for me future interets weren't the hardest. It was manageable because these rules are mechanical. Like games on the LSAT. What killed me was the MASSIVE AMOUNT of info and ridiculous rules you have to learn over the whole semester, so that it's hard to spot all issues and regurgitate a million antiquated and illogical rules on the final exam: possession, recording, LL-tenant, concurrent interests, present and future interests, RAP, nuisance, eminent domain, easements, real covenants, equitable servitudes... WTF! It gets messy when it's all compiled into one big issue spotter. My advice: practice test early so you grasp early on the magnitude of the shithole in which you've fallen.

marlborofillet

Postby marlborofillet » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 am

JG7773 wrote:When the time comes, I made a flow chart for present and future interests. It was pretty helpful for me, and I would be happy to share it if anyone is interested.

Let me cop that flowchart.

Anyone using the Merrill and Smith casebook? I'm looking for outlines.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 am

marlborofillet wrote:
JG7773 wrote:When the time comes, I made a flow chart for present and future interests. It was pretty helpful for me, and I would be happy to share it if anyone is interested.

+1 to flowchart.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am

Bronck wrote:
marlborofillet wrote:

+1 to flowchart.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send it over

salix

Postby salix » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am

Robert Paulson wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.

You're not alone. In Ks I feel reasonably comfortable (but, it's still early so who knows), but other than that I feel pretty overwhelmed thus far. Not sure if I'm just burned out from 1st semester or what. Could definitely use some motivation.

That's precisely how I'm feeling. I'm spending more time doing work and getting less done and just all around have no motivation. Last semester I finished all the readings a month before finals and now I'm struggling to stay a few days ahead.

Me too. I don't remember feeling as overwhelmed as I've felt this semester. At least I was on top of the readings, until Writing started sucking the life out of my days...

Sometimes I hate words.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 pm

How do you avoid burnout? This semester is a lot more credits than the fall!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Redamon1 wrote:

RAP is hard because the rule is stupid. But just keep practicing and you'll beat it. You'll be fine. At the end of the day, for me future interets weren't the hardest. It was manageable because these rules are mechanical. Like games on the LSAT. What killed me was the MASSIVE AMOUNT of info and ridiculous rules you have to learn over the whole semester, so that it's hard to spot all issues and regurgitate a million antiquated and illogical rules on the final exam: possession, recording, LL-tenant, concurrent interests, present and future interests, RAP, nuisance, eminent domain, easements, real covenants, equitable servitudes... WTF! It gets messy when it's all compiled into one big issue spotter. My advice: practice test early so you grasp early on the magnitude of the shithole in which you've fallen.

It helps to understand the history behind the rules (how it all comes down from feudalism), do you can understand the purpose of the rules.
Future interest, including RAP, is probably lost like the LSAT and really not hard, if you can figure out how to figure it out

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm

This thread is fantastic.

Getting serious this weekend brahs. Going to read all of next week's work, then devote M-W to Con. review and Crim., and Property E&Es and reading farther ahead. Hoping to finish reading by 3/29, because one mistake last year was not trying to cram outlining into 9 days instead of progressively doing it all semester. So organizing what little material covered so far will be another goal.

Switching to 5 AM weightlifting instead of late nights has worked wonders, for those of you who lift. So I'm going to start shooting for 6 non-class hours of work per day, at least until the outlines are where they should be thus far.

CSWS

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Jsa725 wrote:IIRC, for RAP... create all future grantees that are not lives in being, then KILL all lives in being. if an interest can VEST more than 21 years after this mass killing... then RAP is applicable and the interest does not exist. key distinction is when the grantees interest VESTS not when they TAKE possession ... aka, an interest can vest now but the grantee can take 40 years later and still be valid.

this of course is IIRC. fucking RAP :evil:

This is exactly right. Once you do a bunch of problems using this approach it becomes automatic. For some reason, this just made me get it a lot more.

GSCgold

Postby GSCgold » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 pm

I've lurked to long. Time to toss myself into this thread and get on this grind.

Taking Ks, Con Law, Admin, and Crim this semester, so any advice/I love flow charts if anyone's got some golden nuggets. Took Torts, Property, and Civ Pro with pretty solid outlines for each if anyone wants em.

I'm starting to buckle down this weekend.

LET'S DO THIS. CSWS

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:28 pm

I love the lurkers coming out of the woodwork.

My property class is just getting into future interests and soon the RAP. I'm gonna beast on this common law bullshit.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:35 pm

stillwater wrote:I love the lurkers coming out of the woodwork.

My property class is just getting into future interests and soon the RAP. I'm gonna beast on this common law bullshit.
I love you too.

In all seriousness, I lurked far too much last semester but decided to join the cool kids this time around.

GSCgold

Postby GSCgold » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 pm

stillwater wrote:I love the lurkers coming out of the woodwork.

If you hit any issues with FI/RAP, this little guy will be your ticket: http://www.amazon.com/Possessory-Estate ... sts+primer

Expensive, but oftentimes your library might have a copy to check out.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm

PinkLotus wrote:How do you avoid burnout? This semester is a lot more credits than the fall!

You don't. Just et it out of the way early so you can recover before finals.

/terrible life advice

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:How do you avoid burnout? This semester is a lot more credits than the fall!

/terrible life advice
Fewer hours than the fall. Feels good man. And yeah, handle all your feelings of burning out sooner rather than later.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:

/terrible life advice

I agree with front loading to stay fresh down the stretch.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:39 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck

I've done like half the reading on future interests, and it's not bad at all. I highly recommend "A possessory estates and future interests primer." But I have heard RAP blows.

+ a million. I posted a link to that book earlier ITT. Even if you are completely lost, after reading that book cover to cover, you just get it. That was probably my favorite topic first semester just because it's so formulaic.

Edit: my review includes the book's usefulness for RAP, too.

TICR.

I read it twice. Got an A.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't even see this future interests stuff on my property syllabus. I wonder if we're not covering it since property is a 3 credit elective and only meets twice a week...

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:17 pm

SportsFan wrote:I don't even see this future interests stuff on my property syllabus. I wonder if we're not covering it since property is a 3 credit elective and only meets twice a week...

you scared of the common law, bro?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”