OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I glanced at GTM (read little pieces of it, basically just test strategy). Never did LEEWS. I did well first semester (top 15%). Does anyone think that doing LEEWS would help me ramp it up? I just dont know if you basically know how to take an exam, if its worth it. Advice?

I never did it but my understanding is that LEEWS is just an exam writing strategy for structure. Your grades mean your structure is fine. The difference between you and the top of your class is mostly luck. Just spend the time doing more of what you do normally. Or have a few beers.

Though I understand the anxiety 100%. It's hard to figure out what to change or improve this sem to keep doing well.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:34 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Bronck wrote:Did GTM over the summer. Forgot everything about it, aside from "argue both sides". Never did LEEWs. Did well 1st semester.


This is kind of all I took from it. I guess I was hoping there would be something more to it than just the "forks" because even our professors really emphasized this in a couple classes. I guess there is no prep that can actually teach how to get an A... I guess I am just nervous because Con Law is going to kill me this semester... seriously so lost in that class. Need to start reading Chemerinsky

Yeah, I read an outline of it, and frankly there didn't seem to be as much to it as I thought there would be.

User avatar
Robert Paulson
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Robert Paulson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


I've got property by the balls. Completely lost everywhere else. Admin.. oh man.. I don't have a clue.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 pm

gaud wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


I've got property by the balls. Completely lost everywhere else. Admin.. oh man.. I don't have a clue.

I feel like I don't actually know any law, but unlike last semester, when it took ~2/3 of the semester for me to start to piece everything together, I feel like I get whats going on (the big concepts, anyway).

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 pm

gaud wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


I've got property by the balls. Completely lost everywhere else. Admin.. oh man.. I don't have a clue.


Yeah I have property down... Con law is going to own me though

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15472
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Last semester I was fairly lost three weeks in and did well. This semester I'm totally lost three weeks in. Expecting to finish top of the class.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
gaud wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


I've got property by the balls. Completely lost everywhere else. Admin.. oh man.. I don't have a clue.


Yeah I have property down... Con law is going to own me though


This is how I feel.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


I am getting owned in Con Law, but I think I have given up on preparing for class and am just going into finals prep mode. From what our tutors have said, it is basically going to be memorization of case holdings that are going to matter, so me and my pal Chemerinksy are going to focus on that.

I am having trouble staying on top of everything with five classes and the jerb search (which is basically a sixth class!).

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


You're not alone. In Ks I feel reasonably comfortable (but, it's still early so who knows), but other than that I feel pretty overwhelmed thus far. Not sure if I'm just burned out from 1st semester or what. Could definitely use some motivation.

User avatar
Robert Paulson
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Robert Paulson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
gaud wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:Getting my CSWS grind on. Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


I've got property by the balls. Completely lost everywhere else. Admin.. oh man.. I don't have a clue.


Yeah I have property down... Con law is going to own me though


This is how I feel.


Yeah, Property is easy, but I still don't feel great because I haven't really outlined or memorized anything. Con Law is pure hell, and Civ pro is a shit ton of rules, and I have no idea how it will be tested. Also, no exams from any profs.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Yeah don't worry about being lost at this point. Maybe I'm just trying to comfort myself, but I know I was confused as hell 3 weeks in last semester. I was wondering how anything fit together. Well, it eventually did!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


I'm getting into future interests but haven't done RAP yet. I suspect when RAP hits my body will not be ready.

User avatar
Robert Paulson
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Robert Paulson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


I've done like half the reading on future interests, and it's not bad at all. I highly recommend "A possessory estates and future interests primer." But I have heard RAP blows.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 pm

we skipped RAP


dat rigir

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


I'm getting into future interests but haven't done RAP yet. I suspect when RAP hits my body will not be ready.


My professor had a vendetta against RAP and didn't teach it at all! Every other section had to fight through it, but we just skipped right over. . . :shock:

User avatar
Robert Paulson
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Robert Paulson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:Anyone else feeling a little lost in their classes? I'm not sure if this is just how I felt at this time last semester or if I'm sucking this semester.


You're not alone. In Ks I feel reasonably comfortable (but, it's still early so who knows), but other than that I feel pretty overwhelmed thus far. Not sure if I'm just burned out from 1st semester or what. Could definitely use some motivation.


That's precisely how I'm feeling. I'm spending more time doing work and getting less done and just all around have no motivation. Last semester I finished all the readings a month before finals and now I'm struggling to stay a few days ahead.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


I've done like half the reading on future interests, and it's not bad at all. I highly recommend "A possessory estates and future interests primer." But I have heard RAP blows.

We just did adverse possession. I feel like my class is behind most others... :lol:

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:51 pm

When the time comes, I made a flow chart for present and future interests. It was pretty helpful for me, and I would be happy to share it if anyone is interested.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


What's RAP?

We've done future interests and all that mumbo jumbo and adverse possession. Just got a good professor. Every class we cover the topic and then go over MC and essay exam questions. So, we understand the topic like nobody's business, but the downfall is ALL OF US know it very well.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 pm

JG7773 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


I'm getting into future interests but haven't done RAP yet. I suspect when RAP hits my body will not be ready.


My professor had a vendetta against RAP and didn't teach it at all! Every other section had to fight through it, but we just skipped right over. . . :shock:


Bar exam gon' be fun.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 pm

gaud wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


What's RAP?

We've done future interests and all that mumbo jumbo and adverse possession. Just got a good professor. Every class we cover the topic and then go over MC and essay exam questions. So, we understand the topic like nobody's business, but the downfall is ALL OF US know it very well.


Rules against perpetuities

If you guys are owning this shit, I might have to come back to y'all if I get confused.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


I've done like half the reading on future interests, and it's not bad at all. I highly recommend "A possessory estates and future interests primer." But I have heard RAP blows.

We just did adverse possession. I feel like my class is behind most others... :lol:


nvm, we just started adverse possession in my class as well
Last edited by 005618502 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Bronck wrote:
gaud wrote:
Bronck wrote:Wait, you bros got property down? Have you done future interests and RAP yet? I looked ahead and that was confusing as fuck


What's RAP?

We've done future interests and all that mumbo jumbo and adverse possession. Just got a good professor. Every class we cover the topic and then go over MC and essay exam questions. So, we understand the topic like nobody's business, but the downfall is ALL OF US know it very well.


Rules against perpetuities

If you guys are owning this shit, I might have to come back to y'all if I get confused.


Oh, nah we haven't hit RAP yet. Sounds terrible.

I'd be happy to help with future interest. Closer to finals I'll have typed out all of the problems we've hit in class w/ answers.
Glannon's MC Guide to Property helped me a lot. Wikipedia too.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests