OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nelson

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:19 am

Bronck wrote:For ConLaw, I'm doing Chemerinsky for cases + book notes. It's a little bit different, but we'll see how it works. I think I'll read the connecting sections in Chemerinsky when I start making my outlines so I can develop a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

I think it's possible to learn con law just by reading Chemerinsky depending on your prof. My prof's past exams are all really straightforward and the word limit is ridiculously tight. I've just been reading the relevant Chemerinsky section first then barely looking at the casebook. Seems OK so far and con law is too much damn reading otherwise.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:31 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:Siegel's.

--LinkRemoved--

Also, heres an ancient one thats $.01 used + shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Siegels-Criminal- ... iminal+law
Last edited by Nova on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 am

Nelson wrote:
Bronck wrote:For ConLaw, I'm doing Chemerinsky for cases + book notes. It's a little bit different, but we'll see how it works. I think I'll read the connecting sections in Chemerinsky when I start making my outlines so I can develop a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

I think it's possible to learn con law just by reading Chemerinsky depending on your prof. My prof's past exams are all really straightforward and the word limit is ridiculously tight. I've just been reading the relevant Chemerinsky section first then barely looking at the casebook. Seems OK so far and con law is too much damn reading otherwise.

I can see this working just because the cases are all SCOTUS. I just read Freer for CivPro and it worked like a charm. The casebook was like going swimming with cinderblocks tied to your limbs.

salix

Postby salix » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:Yesterday? Couldn't stop. Wouldn't stop.
Tomorrow? G.R.I.N.D. Get Ready It's a New Day.

Love this. Consider it stolen.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:51 am

Rise n' grind, crew!

Remember to back your sh*t up: https://www.dropbox.com/ The Blue Screen of Death can be catastrophic come crunchtime!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm

I keep catching HUGE breaks with fortuitous class cancellations. Taking it as a good omen.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

stillwater wrote:I keep catching HUGE breaks with fortuitous class cancellations. Taking it as a good omen.

Same here. Old men don't like walking through mountains of snow, apparently.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Stop fucking around. Seriously, stop.

Start counting the minutes. Finals are coming up. My motivation? One fucking minute sitting on mother fucking Facebook is one less minute I have to excel on finals.

It's a game of inches. And in one minute, you can cover a lot of ground.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm

stillwater wrote:I keep catching HUGE breaks with fortuitous class cancellations. Taking it as a good omen.

Niiice. I had a lot of those last week. Hoping for more this week.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:C'mon baby, where would I go?

Oh yeah, library till 11 PM every night. In the beginning of the semester, I felt like this:

stillwater wrote:
RoseAberlone wrote:Hey guys, long-time lurker here. Hoping to use your energy to keep myself motivated through this horrible weather/semester. In pretty good shape after the fall, but I've been really dragging my heels to get work done this semester. Still getting all the reading done, stopped briefing early last semester, not feeling ready to outline this early. Keep meaning to incorporate supplements into my reading as I go but haven't quite gotten there. Thanks for all the pep talks :)

You are more than fine. I am barely treading water with respect to reading. A day ahead, a day behind.

I happily hit top third, secured a nice summer job, but I encountered people who hit top 5% by doing absolutely nothing. A stain on the CSWS banner. Fuck that, bros.

But you know what? Find your mistakes, shift the game plan, AND DOMINATE.

HAHA. KIDS, I'M BACK. GET READY FOR CSWS/G.R.I.N.D. STARTING NOW!

CSWS Team Spirit

Like the holy spirit, but stronger.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 pm

CSWS'ers taking Ks this semester--I cannot recommend the Farnsworth treatise enough. Credit my A the class to it. Looks big and intimidating, but very readable and well-organized.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 pm

just got ma STACK of supplements. time to learn the law.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 pm

How are you guys grinding already? Finals not for 11 weeks (for me at least). I am barely doing the readings at this point. Stop making me feel bad about myself!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:How are you guys grinding already? Finals not for 11 weeks (for me at least). I am barely doing the readings at this point. Stop making me feel bad about myself!

Srsly. I'm slacking like crazy right now

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:06 pm

I didn't say I was using the supplements.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Bronck wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:How are you guys grinding already? Finals not for 11 weeks (for me at least). I am barely doing the readings at this point. Stop making me feel bad about myself!

Guilty as charged, as well. BEAST MODE commences on March 1, which perfectly coincides with my spring "break".

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Bronck wrote:

"Can't Stop, Won't Stop" is not defined by working "X" number of hours. The philosophy transcends that. Partially, it is realizing the environment law students face upon entering law school. The self-consciousness becomes maddening. Yet, that emotion is channeled into the only thing in front of me -- the substantive law.

I looked in the mirror last summer thinking, "Work hard, set realistic goals." I wanted top 15%. Well, I hit top third. Still respectable. Today, I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "Work smarter. Never stop." It is not about the profit, it's about getting up, fucking never backing down, and crushing it.

That's why I'm one of the last few in the library. That's why I love this game. That's why I CSWS.

tl;dr: CSWS.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
Bronck wrote:

"Can't Stop, Won't Stop" is not defined by working "X" number of hours. The philosophy transcends that. Partially, it is realizing the environment law students face upon entering law school. The self-consciousness becomes maddening. Yet, that emotion is channeled into the only thing in front of me -- the substantive law.

I looked in the mirror last summer thinking, "Work hard, set realistic goals." I wanted top 15%. Well, I hit top third. Still respectable. Today, I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "Work smarter. Never stop." It is not about the profit, it's about getting up, fucking never backing down, and crushing it.

That's why I'm one of the last few in the library. That's why I love this game. That's why I CSWS.

tl;dr: CSWS.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Image

A-fucking-men

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Bronck wrote:

Same. I'm in week 6 of my semester right now though, and i think a lot of you are a week or 2 behind.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Anyway, a serious question.

I went to my professors and realized my mistake was getting ahead of myself. In each class, I noticed I misread the some facts. I suppose my nervousness translated into misreading some finer details. To rectify this, I am re-reading Getting to Maybe and writing out the E&E problems. Taking my time with ensuring my legal analysis is superb. Thoughts?

Other than that, applying law to fact, issue spotting, organization, typing speed, arguing both sides, coming to a "probable" conclusion, etc., are my strengths.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 pm

This may be sacrilegious but one thing I thought worked great for me - in order to issue spot - was to power down quite a bit the day before the test. I think it helped me spot issues and hold a bunch of facts in my head. But, by all means, CSWS until then.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 pm

stillwater wrote:This may be sacrilegious but one thing I thought worked great for me - in order to issue spot - was to power down quite a bit the day before the test. I think it helped me spot issues and hold a bunch of facts in my head. But, by all means, CSWS until then.

I'm referring to retention and proper application when going through the exam. Memorization is not an issue. I tried LEEWS, but I felt like it did not work for me. I think I'm going to stick with GTM and Whitebread's book.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”