OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm

stillwater wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Has crim law BLL changed so drastically in recent years as to justify getting the latest supplement? I have the 2009 Dressler.

ive been trying to get an answer to this too. I have the 2009 one.

Yeah I don't think anyone really knows. I have the newest one, but it doesn't seem like there's been any groundbreaking new cases (from what we've learned in class so far).

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Has crim law BLL changed so drastically in recent years as to justify getting the latest supplement? I have the 2009 Dressler.

Yeah I don't think anyone really knows. I have the newest one, but it doesn't seem like there's been any groundbreaking new cases (from what we've learned in class so far).

Is the "Dressler" the one from the Understanding series, or is there another book I should be finding?

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm

JG7773 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Is the "Dressler" the one from the Understanding series, or is there another book I should be finding?

Yeah, Dressler is the author of the Understanding book.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Do any of you use an outlook schedule for your readings / supp readings? I need to start one to make sure I stay motivated through the semester and I figured this would be a good place to find one.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:17 pm

JG7773 wrote:Do any of you use an outlook schedule for your readings / supp readings? I need to start one to make sure I stay motivated through the semester and I figured this would be a good place to find one.

I don't, but this seems like a good resource:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=163781

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:21 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
JG7773 wrote:Do any of you use an outlook schedule for your readings / supp readings? I need to start one to make sure I stay motivated through the semester and I figured this would be a good place to find one.

I don't, but this seems like a good resource:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=163781

thanks, bro!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Legal Writing needs to go. Such a time sink. I calculated this semesters LW grade will only move my GPA .01/.02 away from my avg. Sounds like a waste of time.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 pm

stillwater wrote:Legal Writing needs to go. Such a time sink. I calculated this semesters LW grade will only move my GPA .01/.02 away from my avg. Sounds like a waste of time.

BC's is a whopping 5 credits. Maybe I should have gone to W&M, where LRW is pass/fail, though it is 2 years long!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
stillwater wrote:Legal Writing needs to go. Such a time sink. I calculated this semesters LW grade will only move my GPA .01/.02 away from my avg. Sounds like a waste of time.

BC's is a whopping 5 credits. Maybe I should have gone to W&M, where LRW is pass/fail, though it is 2 years long!

It's the bane of my existence. It lures you away from the classes where the bulk of the credits are.

I'm working on a memo right now and I feel like a kid poking at his peas. Writing about a sentence an hour.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:03 pm

stillwater wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

It's the bane of my existence. It lures you away from the classes where the bulk of the credits are.

I'm working on a memo right now and I feel like a kid poking at his peas. Writing about a sentence an hour.

I had this problem to start the semester. We had a memo due this past week. I didn't start it until we got back to school and it literally forced me to read for one lecture at a time for my 4 other classes. To date, I haven't been able to crack a supplement or even think about outlining all because of LW.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 pm

JG7773 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

I had this problem to start the semester. We had a memo due this past week. I didn't start it until we got back to school and it literally forced me to read for one lecture at a time for my 4 other classes. To date, I haven't been able to crack a supplement or even think about outlining all because of LW.

Usually I am pretty good about blowing it off but I got sick and got behind and it makes it tough to get out from under it.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:11 pm

JG7773 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

Yeah, we have a brief assigned now and the research for that has taken up pretty much all of the time I would use for outlining.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:11 pm

http://www.timeleft.info/

Placing a countdown clock on my desktop is a great motivator and prevents me from dawdling. 78 days and 13 hours until my first final! :shock:

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Fucking hate legal writing. Kills my GPA by wasting time I could be spending on other classes and because it has a harsh "not curve".

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I feel like I am about to descend into finals mode like 2 months too early.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Fucking hate legal writing. Kills my GPA by wasting time I could be spending on other classes and because it has a harsh "not curve".

For some reason, legal writing was my most harshly curved class last semester. Weird.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm

stillwater wrote:I feel like I am about to descend into finals mode like 2 months too early.

Starting March 1st I'm raging

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm

gaud wrote:
stillwater wrote:I feel like I am about to descend into finals mode like 2 months too early.

gotta man. i have nightmares of blowing it.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 pm

stillwater wrote:
gaud wrote:

Nah bro. You crushed it last semester and although some peeps may be stepping their game up this semester... so will you!

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

gaud wrote:Nah bro. You crushed it last semester and although some peeps may be stepping their game up this semester... so will you!

LET'S FUCKING GO BABY!!!! CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP!!!! GET THAT CAKE!!!!

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

stillwater wrote:
gaud wrote:

+1... I'm glad I am not the only one. Our spring break starts on March 1, and I am using that as my spring board.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
gaud wrote:Nah bro. You crushed it last semester and although some peeps may be stepping their game up this semester... so will you!

LET'S FUCKING GO BABY!!!! CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP!!!! GET THAT CAKE!!!!

YESSS!!!

I got my E&Es, Crunchtime, practice tests.. it's going down.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm

gaud wrote:

Damn, that's early brah.

I think I'm gonna go into finals mode spring break (March 20th or thereabouts?). With 4 classes, that finals period is fucking compact as shit. I think I have ONE day between property and con law. KILL ME NOW.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 pm

March 1st may be a little early but my contracts grade last semester median pwned what would have otherwise been a good semester. Can't have that happen again

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Speaking of Con Law... I got a glimpse at one of my professors past essay questions. I had heard he is big on knowing the case holdings, the reasoning behind the case, the the progeny that follows, and what cases overrules other cases. Seemed easy enough until I saw this:

Discuss the major United States Supreme Court dealing with race from Dred Scott to the present, explaining clearly the issues addressed, the holdings of the cases, and indicate clearly the current state of the law.

My reaction was simply. . . :shock:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”