OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:07 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:09 pm

JG7773 wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Image


This was the headline on the front page of ESPN last night during the marathon UL/ND game. I lol'ed!


What is CSWS a reference to? Looked it up on YouTube and there were multiple songs of that name by different artists , lol.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:13 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Image

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 pm

^ Nice!

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:16 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
JG7773 wrote:^ Nice!

welcome PL! our goal ITT is to help each other GET DEM TOP GRADES w/ FIERCE MOTIVATION. CSWS. :mrgreen:


ITT median pwnage is a term feared and loathed.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
JG7773 wrote:^ Nice!

welcome PL! our goal ITT is to help each other GET DEM TOP GRADES w/ FIERCE MOTIVATION. CSWS. :mrgreen:


Thanks! Proud to be a fledgling member of the CSWS crew. :mrgreen:

Played Xbox all Christmas break...didn't apply to places until mid-late Jan. Got a PI gig in my preferred market on Feb. 1 (offered on the spot over the phone!), while poor souls freaking out on Dec. 1 are still scrambling to find something. :P Now with jobs nonsense outta the way, I can truly go full-on BEAST MODE with classes.

Stay on the grind guys...just don't become this dude : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUukchws

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:32 pm

JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .


lucky you. we didnt do UCC in ktts. I was greatly pleased about that

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 pm

JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .


Battle of the Forms sucked at first but it's definitely one of those 'once you get it, you got it' type of things. You'll crush it

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 pm

stillwater wrote:
JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .


lucky you. we didnt do UCC in ktts. I was greatly pleased about that


my entire class was UCC... :|

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 pm

gaud wrote:
stillwater wrote:
JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .


lucky you. we didnt do UCC in ktts. I was greatly pleased about that


my entire class was UCC... :|


Yeah, I think our book just provided a nice line to work through 207. . . "If both the offeror and the offeree are using standard forms, the result is quite random and really just favors the offeror's boilerplate over the offeree's."

We are doing a mix of UCC / Common Law. It seems to be learning more towards the differences between the Restatement (Second) and the UCC, but still moderately early to tell.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:38 pm

gaud wrote:
stillwater wrote:
JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .


lucky you. we didnt do UCC in ktts. I was greatly pleased about that


my entire class was UCC... :|


though the common law does come with its idiosyncrasies. i just couldnt stand reading the few UCC excerpts we actually had to read.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 pm

JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .

Someone gave me a sweet flowchart for it. If I still had it I would give it to you, but I don't think I do. Maybe someone else can, though.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 pm

SportsFan wrote:
JG7773 wrote:I can tell that UCC 2-207 and I will be great friends this semester. . .

Someone gave me a sweet flowchart for it. If I still had it I would give it to you, but I don't think I do. Maybe someone else can, though.


Oh yeah, I do remember that floating around last semester. I think that was Swimmer.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:51 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:59 pm

The UCC is my best frand. Everyone complained about it but it just makes so much more sense.

The only real issue is that 2207 has some typos and is interpreted differently by jurisdiction.

paintbynumbers
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby paintbynumbers » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm

I did a little better than median last semester ~top 40% maybe. I feel that I grasped the material better than most last semester though and am understanding the material this semester better than most too. However, I knew when taking my exams I was not conveying my knowledge onto the exam as well as I knew it. I didn't take many practice exams and didn't fully write out any, which is where I think my downfall was. Ive been keeping up with the hornbooks and am catching up with E&E/Gilberts readings too.

All that said, would it be worth it or too ambitious to try and do LEEWS over spring break?

Still grinding away

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
paintbynumbers wrote:I did a little better than median last semester ~top 40% maybe. I feel that I grasped the material better than most last semester though and am understanding the material this semester better than most too. However, I knew when taking my exams I was not conveying my knowledge onto the exam as well as I knew it. I didn't take many practice exams and didn't fully write out any, which is where I think my downfall was. Ive been keeping up with the hornbooks and am catching up with E&E/Gilberts readings too.

All that said, would it be worth it or too ambitious to try and do LEEWS over spring break?
Still grinding away

it's worth it.. i read the yellow LEEWS book (ordered online) and GTM a few times over last semester.

remember, the key to LS is being successful during the examination...AKA sophisticated application of law to fact... THEREFORE, if you grasp the material well, then all you need is to hone in on how to write the exam.

edit: I plan on reviewing LEEWS and GTM again this semester


Did LEEWS last semester. Did awesomely on my closed book Ks issue spotter exam but was absolutely pwned on my policy-heavy Property exam (more of a black-letter kinda gal here :( ) What approach would you recommend for succeeding on pure policy questions? My crim exam has objective items, several short answer issue spotters, and one policy ?.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
paintbynumbers wrote:I did a little better than median last semester ~top 40% maybe. I feel that I grasped the material better than most last semester though and am understanding the material this semester better than most too. However, I knew when taking my exams I was not conveying my knowledge onto the exam as well as I knew it. I didn't take many practice exams and didn't fully write out any, which is where I think my downfall was. Ive been keeping up with the hornbooks and am catching up with E&E/Gilberts readings too.

All that said, would it be worth it or too ambitious to try and do LEEWS over spring break?
Still grinding away

it's worth it.. i read the yellow LEEWS book (ordered online) and GTM a few times over last semester.

remember, the key to LS is being successful during the examination...AKA sophisticated application of law to fact... THEREFORE, if you grasp the material well, then all you need is to hone in on how to write the exam.

edit: I plan on reviewing LEEWS and GTM again this semester


Did LEEWS last semester. Did awesomely on my closed book Ks issue spotter exam but was absolutely pwned on my policy-heavy Property exam (more of a black-letter kinda gal here :( ) What approach would you recommend for succeeding on pure policy questions? My crim exam has objective items, several short answer issue spotters, and one policy ?.


policy questions are all about being about to spin a yarn but usually there are five or so themes- very well-covered by GTM- that most policy concerns touch upon.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:06 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
JG7773 wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Image


This was the headline on the front page of ESPN last night during the marathon UL/ND game. I lol'ed!


What is CSWS a reference to? Looked it up on YouTube and there were multiple songs of that name by different artists , lol.


There's a dude who posts in the Bros thread in the Lounge named Big Shrimpin. He works in Biglaw and has an inside joke with his Biglaw bros about CSWS. I, a missionary, spread the Gospel from there to here 6 posts from the bottom of page 4. LETSGOLAW picked it up and made it the anthem of this thread.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
JG7773 wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Image


This was the headline on the front page of ESPN last night during the marathon UL/ND game. I lol'ed!


What is CSWS a reference to? Looked it up on YouTube and there were multiple songs of that name by different artists , lol.


There's a dude who posts in the Bros thread in the Lounge named Big Shrimpin. He works in Biglaw and has an inside joke with his Biglaw bros about CSWS. I, a missionary, spread the Gospel from there to here 6 posts from the bottom of page 4. LETSGOLAW picked it up and made it the anthem of this thread.


the way LETSGOLAW studied was scary. does he only grace during exam time?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:19 pm

LETSGOLAW was here all during last semester and dropped off around finals time. I don't know what he'll do this semester though.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests