OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Is it just me or is there a lack of people readying themselves for the big finale?

Semester was extended by a week, so I'm taking one last breather. Finishing the case reading tonight and fucking up Rule Against Perpetuities. Outlines are 3/4 done. Dedicating next week to finishing outlines.

I want my team strong, baby. I want my team strong. Let's game this joke.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Yes, I have noticed that at my school (Upper TT), there has been a lack of students studying and/or a lack of urgency by a lot of my classmates. I have been wondering if they think it is like UG and they can just cram at the end of the term.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:48 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Is it just me or is there a lack of people readying themselves for the big finale?

Semester was extended by a week, so I'm taking one last breather. Finishing the case reading tonight and fucking up Rule Against Perpetuities. Outlines are 3/4 done. Dedicating next week to finishing outlines.

I want my team strong, baby. I want my team strong. Let's game this joke.

My school hasn't been extended, but people are still going out and getting drunk every night.

That being said, my motivation has gone out the fucking window the past week or so. I can barely force myself to do my case reading (only one of my professors gave us a syllabus :evil: ), much less outline/do practice exams, etc. The bad thing is that I know what I should be doing, I just can't convince myself to.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby SportsFan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:20 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Is it just me or is there a lack of people readying themselves for the big finale?

Semester was extended by a week, so I'm taking one last breather. Finishing the case reading tonight and fucking up Rule Against Perpetuities. Outlines are 3/4 done. Dedicating next week to finishing outlines.

I want my team strong, baby. I want my team strong. Let's game this joke.

swimmer11 wrote:Yes, I have noticed that at my school (Upper TT), there has been a lack of students studying and/or a lack of urgency by a lot of my classmates. I have been wondering if they think it is like UG and they can just cram at the end of the term.

Also noticing this... Have met ~3 people in the last week who still haven't even looked at any of their professors old exams. Maybe its just me, but I think thats weird as hell.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 pm

SportsFan wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Is it just me or is there a lack of people readying themselves for the big finale?

Semester was extended by a week, so I'm taking one last breather. Finishing the case reading tonight and fucking up Rule Against Perpetuities. Outlines are 3/4 done. Dedicating next week to finishing outlines.

I want my team strong, baby. I want my team strong. Let's game this joke.

swimmer11 wrote:Yes, I have noticed that at my school (Upper TT), there has been a lack of students studying and/or a lack of urgency by a lot of my classmates. I have been wondering if they think it is like UG and they can just cram at the end of the term.

Also noticing this... Have met ~3 people in the last week who still haven't even looked at any of their professors old exams. Maybe its just me, but I think thats weird as hell.


I feel you, bro. I am tired of these fools giggling at each others' cold calls. Then listening to them brag about how their cold call responses outmatched anyone.

Anger and love motivate me. The anger turns into love when I press the period key on the semester's final brief. I got my game face ready, baby. And we're not letting each other down in this law school game.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 pm

LetsGoLAW you are like a football coach at halftime pumping up his team to keep the momentum in the second half, and crush their arch rivals. Love it.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Is it just me or is there a lack of people readying themselves for the big finale?

Semester was extended by a week, so I'm taking one last breather. Finishing the case reading tonight and fucking up Rule Against Perpetuities. Outlines are 3/4 done. Dedicating next week to finishing outlines.

I want my team strong, baby. I want my team strong. Let's game this joke.

swimmer11 wrote:Yes, I have noticed that at my school (Upper TT), there has been a lack of students studying and/or a lack of urgency by a lot of my classmates. I have been wondering if they think it is like UG and they can just cram at the end of the term.

Also noticing this... Have met ~3 people in the last week who still haven't even looked at any of their professors old exams. Maybe its just me, but I think thats weird as hell.


I feel you, bro. I am tired of these fools giggling at each others' cold calls. Then listening to them brag about how their cold call responses outmatched anyone.

Anger and love motivate me. The anger turns into love when I press the period key on the semester's final brief. I got my game face ready, baby. And we're not letting each other down in this law school game.


Wait your classes are over already?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 am

Who's with me today, bros? Who's putting in those hours?

Image

That's me and my property outline, baby.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm

In...as well finishing up Torts/K/Crim outline today working on my legal writing assignment a pit and making sure Mike Vick does well tonight so I win my fantasy football game.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey guys. So I my outlines are looking solid. Supplemented with basic BLL, my teacher's preferences, and class notes. Unfortunately, they are about an average of ~30 pages, but I will create a skeleton outline for the final.

So my question is: I went to each of my teachers, and for the most part, policy consideration is irrelevant. Policy does not really appear on the exams. They mentioned if there is a stalemate between the facts, a policy consideration could, perhaps, be useful. Still, do you think I should be spending a lot of my time supplementing my outlines with policy consideration (obviously not considering the major policy considerations -- BPL, contributory negligence, free alienability, waste, etc.)?

Edit: Oh, and brothers, I picked up Professor Whitebread's "Eight Secrets" for a quick read before finals. I heard this is credited. Confirm?

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Hey guys. So I my outlines are looking solid. Supplemented with basic BLL, my teacher's preferences, and class notes. Unfortunately, they are about an average of ~30 pages, but I will create a skeleton outline for the final.

So my question is: I went to each of my teachers, and for the most part, policy consideration is irrelevant. Policy does not really appear on the exams. They mentioned if there is a stalemate between the facts, a policy consideration could, perhaps, be useful. Still, do you think I should be spending a lot of my time supplementing my outlines with policy consideration (obviously not considering the major policy considerations -- BPL, contributory negligence, free alienability, waste, etc.)?

Edit: Oh, and brothers, I picked up Professor Whitebread's "Eight Secrets" for a quick read before finals. I heard this is credited. Confirm?


I have only various tidbits of policy in my outline near each of the BLL i.e: proper mitigation (Prevent economic waste) or contributory negligence (UNFAIR!). If I have time I will make an argument. However, I just do not think that there will be enough time to go into elaborate arguments about policy, except for maybe one or two lines here or there because my professor gave extra emphasis to it.

I ordered Whitebreads book, and am waiting for delivery. I have only heard amazing things about it on this site.

Question - How do you handle policy specific questions on a final exam? Is GTM strategy credited?

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Hey guys. So I my outlines are looking solid. Supplemented with basic BLL, my teacher's preferences, and class notes. Unfortunately, they are about an average of ~30 pages, but I will create a skeleton outline for the final.

So my question is: I went to each of my teachers, and for the most part, policy consideration is irrelevant. Policy does not really appear on the exams. They mentioned if there is a stalemate between the facts, a policy consideration could, perhaps, be useful. Still, do you think I should be spending a lot of my time supplementing my outlines with policy consideration (obviously not considering the major policy considerations -- BPL, contributory negligence, free alienability, waste, etc.)?

Edit: Oh, and brothers, I picked up Professor Whitebread's "Eight Secrets" for a quick read before finals. I heard this is credited. Confirm?


I have only various tidbits of policy in my outline near each of the BLL i.e: proper mitigation (Prevent economic waste) or contributory negligence (UNFAIR!). If I have time I will make an argument. However, I just do not think that there will be enough time to go into elaborate arguments about policy, except for maybe one or two lines here or there because my professor gave extra emphasis to it.

I ordered Whitebreads book, and am waiting for delivery. I have only heard amazing things about it on this site.

Question - How do you handle policy specific questions on a final exam? Is GTM strategy credited?


I am using GTM for creating forks/nuances within my outline. Highlighting the major dissents (Palsgraf), common law/modern approach, majority/minority, etc. Since my professor's past exams did not focus on policy too much, I did not get too into it. I know GTM's Czars of the Universe is a credited source for policy consideration.

My writing style takes after LEEWS, which is not too dissimilar from GTM. Instead of forks, Miller calls them premises/counterpremises and arguments/counterarguments. I am really looking forward to Whitebread's book. It's only 100 pages, so it will be a quick read.

Basically, I am riding on Arrow's coattails.

Edit - By the way, what are good tips to avoid burnout? From August until the end of October, I put in reasonably steady pace. I will socialized and worked out. For November, I am obviously putting in more time, but I do not want to burn out. I am thinking about taking Friday and Sunday evenings off. Any 2 or 3Ls with any ideas?
Last edited by LetsGoLAW on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby gaud » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't want to take finals.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Regarding avoiding burnout - I was wondering the same thing. Personally, I am using a good job as motivation and the fire I need to keep my engine pushing through and surviving the hell it is about to go through. I also do not want to be left with regretting that I could have done more this semester, this as well serves as motivation and a deterrence to burning out.

Regarding taking finals - Yeah fuck this, where is the easy button?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:32 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Basically, I am riding on Arrow's coattails.


THIS.

I'm following GTM and LEEWS + whatever my teacher's preferences are. For example, my Torts professor is really into re-reading each case over and over. He harps on this every class.... When I do my Negligence analysis on the main exam question I plan on having a sentence of each Cardozo and Andrews opinions memorized to plunk in there. I will be writing a pre-scripted negligence analysis that I will have memorized by exam date (with the exception of the relevant facts in his exam hypo).


That's a good idea. My torts professor loves Palsgraf. I will paraphrase strong quotes.

Who else feels like a machine today? I'm not sure what happened, but I'm cruising through this garbage. Oh man, I'm so fucking pumped, baby.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Jsa725 wrote:still cookin' ... got a solid plan in place... pumped about the plan 8)


Share the plan brotha, I am still trying to create a solid plan other than finishing my outlines and going through insane amounts of tests and what not.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby eaper » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 am

gaud wrote:I don't want to take finals.

clown?bro
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby clown?bro » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:07 am

Looking for some real advice to do well 1L year? Download the Gunnaz Mixtapez, parts I-VI, and keep that shit on lock!

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 am

My brothas, I have FINISHED my K outline! I am close to being done with my Torts and Crim outline, and once I finish those I will be taking my last night off to drink and watch the election (Hopefully Obama's victory). I actually feel pretty good right now. I am not as stressed as I thought I would be. Anyone else feel this way or am I living in world of self-delusion?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby gaud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 pm

swimmer11 wrote:My brothas, I have FINISHED my K outline! I am close to being done with my Torts and Crim outline, and once I finish those I will be taking my last night off to drink and watch the election (Hopefully Obama's victory). I actually feel pretty good right now. I am not as stressed as I thought I would be. Anyone else feel this way or am I living in world of self-delusion?


Good stuff bro!

My outlines are getting there (almost finished), bleh. How are y'all planning to intro practice exams into your schedules? Has anyone started yet?

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Team, outlines are almost done. As I go through my outlines, I notice a few gaps in my knowledge. I am making a list of topics to re-read in the supplements. Solidifies the hard parts.

Edit - Law school "geniuses" bother me. I am not one. But I am someone willing to learn the game of law school. I will be the first in the library and the last out. I will memorize the BLL cold. I will practice every hypothetical in existence. Do not be turned off by the "experts." Remember, as Xeoh85 said, knowing the law is only one aspect of success in law school.
Last edited by LetsGoLAW on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], rnoodles and 18 guests