OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 pm

fuuuuuuuuuark I need to get back on this train.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7165
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Yeah, we do Word. But copying and pasting is not allowed.


I was about to call your school a TTT in decline but then I remembered it could be WordPerfect. Also, I have no room to talk about a school in decline.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:45 pm

how can you grind during SNOWPOCALYPSE

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 pm

stillwater wrote:how can you grind during SNOWPOCALYPSE

I keep looking at my closed textbooks and telling myself this is my chance to grind since I'm staying in on a Friday night. But, alas, I cannot grind.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:how can you grind during SNOWPOCALYPSE

I keep looking at my closed textbooks and telling myself this is my chance to grind since I'm staying in on a Friday night. But, alas, I cannot grind.


yea its tough but I can tell you I'm going to be pissed if my power goes out.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm

stillwater wrote:how can you grind during SNOWPOCALYPSE

I cleverly left all my books at school and there's no way I was gonna make that four-block walk.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
stillwater wrote:how can you grind during SNOWPOCALYPSE

I cleverly left all my books at school and there's no way I was gonna make that four-block walk.


I just donned my snowpants and tried to brave the elements. Snow Warrior was defeated this time though.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:07 am

shumpshump wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I am getting into this pre-writing business this semester.


Doesn't even take that much extra time. You're just writing full sentences instead of the fragments you normally put into outlines.

What does this look like? Did you just pre-write all of the rules in full sentences and then apply the rules to the facts after you put down your pre-written rules? I just don't conceptually understand how one would pre-write stuff given the blending of rules and facts in the answers, especially in civ pro with something like general or personal jurisdiction.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
shumpshump wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I am getting into this pre-writing business this semester.


Doesn't even take that much extra time. You're just writing full sentences instead of the fragments you normally put into outlines.

What does this look like? Did you just pre-write all of the rules in full sentences and then apply the rules to the facts after you put down your pre-written rules? I just don't conceptually understand how one would pre-write stuff given the blending of rules and facts in the answers, especially in civ pro with something like general or personal jurisdiction.

I leave blank spaces in the middle of my pre-writes for analysis or just use "Party X" and then fill in the blanks with whatever the exam facts are.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:08 pm

time to mafaqin GRIND

User avatar
holmesboy
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby holmesboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Can someone give an example of a pre-written answer they used for an exam?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 pm

holmesboy wrote:Can someone give an example of a pre-written answer they used for an exam?

I'll PM you.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BuckinghamB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm grinding while watching the Mich vs. Wisconsin game. So, basically I'm watching the Mich vs. Wisconsin game with my closed books sitting next to me.

User avatar
holmesboy
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby holmesboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
holmesboy wrote:Can someone give an example of a pre-written answer they used for an exam?

I'll PM you.


Thank you, that was very helpful. Now I see why you killed it last semester. I think I just might have to join you guys for this CSWS grind.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
holmesboy wrote:Can someone give an example of a pre-written answer they used for an exam?

I'll PM you.

me too please

User avatar
zworykin
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby zworykin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Pre-written answers. Grumble grumble... I had two closed/closed exams, and the one that was open book/open notes was Crim, which doesn't lend itself to pre-written answers in the slightest. Anything I wanted to pre-write, I still had to memorize anyway. :|

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Inbox BLOWING UP :lol:

I'm happy to help, though.

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby shumpshump » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:41 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Inbox BLOWING UP :lol:

I'm happy to help, though.


same here haha

didn't know people hadn't heard of this before...

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:43 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:43 pm

shumpshump wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Inbox BLOWING UP :lol:

I'm happy to help, though.


same here haha

didn't know people hadn't heard of this before...


the only thing i fear with his method is dropping in boilerplate passages that pretty much fit but may be better if specifically written in response to the exam. this may be unrealistic but i usually default to lazy.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:45 pm

stillwater wrote:the only thing i fear with his method is dropping in boilerplate passages that pretty much fit but may be better if specifically written in response to the exam. this may be unrealistic but i usually default to lazy.

Yeah, it took some "fitting," but I'm sure it saved me time anyway.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:the only thing i fear with his method is dropping in boilerplate passages that pretty much fit but may be better if specifically written in response to the exam. this may be unrealistic but i usually default to lazy.

Yeah, it took some "fitting," but I'm sure it saved me time anyway.


I can see it serving coherence though. At times during my exam I felt like I was a lab monkey on crystal meth slapping on the keyboard, not knowing if what I was saying was even remotely coherent typographically or doctrinally.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:49 pm

stillwater wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:the only thing i fear with his method is dropping in boilerplate passages that pretty much fit but may be better if specifically written in response to the exam. this may be unrealistic but i usually default to lazy.

Yeah, it took some "fitting," but I'm sure it saved me time anyway.


I can see it serving coherence though. At times during my exam I felt like I was a lab monkey on crystal meth slapping on the keyboard, not knowing if what I was saying was even remotely coherent typographically or doctrinally.

You just described my Torts final perfectly.

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby shumpshump » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 pm

stillwater wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:the only thing i fear with his method is dropping in boilerplate passages that pretty much fit but may be better if specifically written in response to the exam. this may be unrealistic but i usually default to lazy.

Yeah, it took some "fitting," but I'm sure it saved me time anyway.


I can see it serving coherence though. At times during my exam I felt like I was a lab monkey on crystal meth slapping on the keyboard, not knowing if what I was saying was even remotely coherent typographically or doctrinally.


One of my profs this term is a huge stickler for grammar and shit but it's a 3.5 hour race horse exam. People get fucked apparently by his grammar criticisms so it's a perfect exam for prewriting and thoroughly editing the prewrite.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 pm

shumpshump wrote:
stillwater wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
stillwater wrote:the only thing i fear with his method is dropping in boilerplate passages that pretty much fit but may be better if specifically written in response to the exam. this may be unrealistic but i usually default to lazy.

Yeah, it took some "fitting," but I'm sure it saved me time anyway.


I can see it serving coherence though. At times during my exam I felt like I was a lab monkey on crystal meth slapping on the keyboard, not knowing if what I was saying was even remotely coherent typographically or doctrinally.


One of my profs this term is a huge stickler for grammar and shit but it's a 3.5 hour race horse exam. People get fucked apparently by his grammar criticisms so it's a perfect exam for prewriting and thoroughly editing the prewrite.


Which prof? Crim?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Google Adsense [Bot], Gunner19 and 8 guests