OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shumpshump

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Redamon1 wrote:Property was rough for me. If you're taught the traditional common law stuff, you'll encounter lots of rules that are complex and arbitrary. My prof crammed 3 massive issue spotters on the exam and it's clear that, although I had prepared, I didn't know the material well enough to get through everything in detail. So I would say that in property more than in other classes, memorize and practice writing out answers early on so that counter-intuitive rules become intuitive and you can deliver detailed answers on demand. You can't rely on common sense policy (as much) to guide your learning and application of the BLL.

Sweeeet. Pre-writing FTW

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

shumpshump wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:Property was rough for me. If you're taught the traditional common law stuff, you'll encounter lots of rules that are complex and arbitrary. My prof crammed 3 massive issue spotters on the exam and it's clear that, although I had prepared, I didn't know the material well enough to get through everything in detail. So I would say that in property more than in other classes, memorize and practice writing out answers early on so that counter-intuitive rules become intuitive and you can deliver detailed answers on demand. You can't rely on common sense policy (as much) to guide your learning and application of the BLL.

Sweeeet. Pre-writing FTW

I've never tried this pre-writing business. I have pre-written like statements of rules and other pretty universal things that have no connection to the fact-pattern. Do people pre-write more than this?

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 pm

stillwater wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

Sweeeet. Pre-writing FTW

I've never tried this pre-writing business. I have pre-written like statements of rules and other pretty universal things that have no connection to the fact-pattern. Do people pre-write more than this?

Prewrote about 30 pages for my civpro exam. Worked beautifully and even gave me more time to think about the facts and how they apply, etc. I didn't do it for my other classes and regretted it so much when I was taking time to type up the law coherently.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:50 pm

shumpshump wrote:
stillwater wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

Sweeeet. Pre-writing FTW

Prewrote about 30 pages for my civpro exam. Worked beautifully and even gave me more time to think about the facts and how they apply, etc. I didn't do it for my other classes and regretted it so much when I was taking time to type up the law coherently.

Interesting. I don't even know conceptually what that'd look like. After 1st semester, I think the lesson I learned is that there are multiple ways to get to the end. LOL at briefs.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Bros, I need some help getting back out the grind this semester! I am taking Con / Crim / K. We are three weeks in already, and I need to get that outline grind on!

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
JG7773 wrote:Bros, I need some help getting back out the grind this semester! I am taking Con / Crim / K. We are three weeks in already, and I need to get that outline grind on!

this is what I do....
get the brief online somewhere...paste it on a sheet of paper in word that is split in 1/2 vertically so I can take class notes on the right half...
read brief first, then read the case and pay close attn.... I have my O/L open and all I put in there is the case name and applicable rule.... if there is any additional information, I throw that in there too.... at this point i am not worried about being concise, although I do not overdo it.

next, after a bunch of classes, I add the shit from my class notes into the O/L.... all i am concentrating on is collecting information
a month before finals I have a full O/L that I start condensing into fewer and fewer pages...this way I spend more time w/ supps and PT's
I also take advantage of others' O/L's as needed

voila...

edit: I'm CSWS'n ROIGHT NAO.

You dudes are stressing me out. I am trying get back to square with work and you all are exploding into exam prep mode.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm

stillwater wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
JG7773 wrote:Bros, I need some help getting back out the grind this semester! I am taking Con / Crim / K. We are three weeks in already, and I need to get that outline grind on!

this is what I do....
get the brief online somewhere...paste it on a sheet of paper in word that is split in 1/2 vertically so I can take class notes on the right half...
read brief first, then read the case and pay close attn.... I have my O/L open and all I put in there is the case name and applicable rule.... if there is any additional information, I throw that in there too.... at this point i am not worried about being concise, although I do not overdo it.

next, after a bunch of classes, I add the shit from my class notes into the O/L.... all i am concentrating on is collecting information
a month before finals I have a full O/L that I start condensing into fewer and fewer pages...this way I spend more time w/ supps and PT's

voila...

You dudes are stressing me out. I am trying get back to square with work and you all are exploding into exam prep mode.

Dude, if it's one thing I learned last semester, it's that i should in exam prep mode all term. What's the point of doing something that won't be useful to me on an exam?!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 pm

shumpshump wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:

this is what I do....

voila...

Dude, if it's one thing I learned last semester, it's that i should in exam prep mode all term. What's the point of doing something that won't be useful to me on an exam?!

I don't disagree with that at all. That's why I don't brief and I breathe supplements. I was sick this week, so I feel a little behind. Don't have as much time as I would like for synthesis.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 pm

salix

Postby salix » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm

shumpshump wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:

this is what I do....

voila...

Too right.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 pm

shumpshump wrote:
stillwater wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

Sweeeet. Pre-writing FTW

Wow, 30 pages? Thats intense. I pre-wrote about 15 pages worth of answers for civ pro (mostly having to do with Erie and jurisdiction stuff, but also stuff I knew my professor would ask about like discovery), though I also got a ~15 page document off here that had pre-written summaries of all the FRCP, which helped a bit. Civ pro was my best grade, so it definitely worked.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Holy crap 30 pages? I pre-wrote six.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 pm

I am getting into this pre-writing business this semester.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I am getting into this pre-writing business this semester.

Doesn't even take that much extra time. You're just writing full sentences instead of the fragments you normally put into outlines.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm

As with all things, consult your school's honor code/professors before getting too serious into prewriting exam answers.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:03 pm

5ky wrote:As with all things, consult your school's honor code/professors before getting too serious into prewriting exam answers.

What? How would that violate an honor code that allows you to bring in your own outline?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm

5ky wrote:As with all things, consult your school's honor code/professors before getting too serious into prewriting exam answers.

Thanks for making me think twice. I know we definitely can't copy and paste from outline.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Thanks for making me think twice. I know we definitely can't copy and paste from outline.

Assuming that your outline is a copy and paste from unsourced authorities, yes?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:36 pm

shumpshump wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

What? We just can't copy and paste anything.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
shumpshump wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I don't even have the ability to copy and paste. Damn ExamSoft. But yea, I think that would be rather obvious. I know at least for my open books, I can bring in anything I want short of another person.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
shumpshump wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I'm saying if your outline is your own work, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to copy that onto your exam.

I may be misunderstanding this though. The way our exams work, no other programs can be open while our exam software is open so we can't literally copy/paste from another document. Maybe you're saying that you guys can access like Word or PDF during your exam and so you're not allowed to copy/paste. If so, I get what you're saying.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Yeah, we do Word. But copying and pasting is not allowed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”