OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gaud

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Congrats everyone!

thelong

Postby thelong » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Finished yesterday. Aside from the wibble wobbles hangover I'm feeling pretty good!

Heading up to see the family tomorrow and really looking forward to decompressing a bit before the summer job search.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Congrats everyone!

I feel like contracts kicked my ass. Completely unexpected. I (stupidly) thought it would be a walk in the park. Oh well. Fuck it. I'm done.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Congrats Bros!!!!!!

Now, some CSWS on that boooooze!! :twisted:

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:15 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Dooooooooooooone.

Feels good, man.

Edit- To boot, I think I did well on the last exam and everyone came out complaining about how hard it was...so that feels good for curve purposes.

Lol, poor 1Ls, little do they know that if you feel good about an exam, while everyone else complains, it most likely, but not definitely, means that you did not spot the issues your classmates did.
Little secret: generally, law school exams are meant to make you feel terrible afterwards, because most of the issues should have been close and could be argued both ways.

What if you feel good about the way that you argued both sides, you condescending prick?

It does not matter. If everyone is complaining about the exam, but you feel good, you have most likely, but not definitely, done something really wrong.
To think otherwise is arrogance, since it insinuates that you are much smarter than your complaining classmates.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Pokemon wrote:It does not matter. If everyone is complaining about the exam, but you feel good, you have most likely, but not definitely, done something really wrong.
To think otherwise is arrogance, since it insinuates that you are much smarter than your complaining classmates.

This thread is for good vibes, brah.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Pokemon wrote:
It does not matter. If everyone is complaining about the exam, but you feel good, you have most likely, but not definitely, done something really wrong.

You're not the brightest bulb on the chandelier, eh?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Pokemon wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Dooooooooooooone.

Feels good, man.

Edit- To boot, I think I did well on the last exam and everyone came out complaining about how hard it was...so that feels good for curve purposes.

Lol, poor 1Ls, little do they know that if you feel good about an exam, while everyone else complains, it most likely, but not definitely, means that you did not spot the issues your classmates did.
Little secret: generally, law school exams are meant to make you feel terrible afterwards, because most of the issues should have been close and could be argued both ways.

What if you feel good about the way that you argued both sides, you condescending prick?

Relax man. Sometimes people feel confident because they kicked ass.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 pm

bump

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 pm

gaud wrote:bump

chu bumpin son?

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:15 pm

stillwater wrote:

chu bumpin son?

the thread brosef.

CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 pm

gaud wrote:
stillwater wrote:

chu bumpin son?

the thread brosef.

CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP

this brings back feverish nightmares of late night grinding and coffee guzzling

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 am

stillwater wrote:
gaud wrote:
stillwater wrote:

chu bumpin son?

the thread brosef.

CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP

this brings back feverish nightmares of late night grinding and coffee guzzling

word got my grades been csws on that booze all day.. btw letsgolaw u da man can't shout u out enough

Postby 20130312 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 am

On that grind early, brehs? 8)

salix

Postby salix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:On that grind early, brehs? 8)

110 days until finals period starts.

Congrats on your outstanding performance, btw.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:21 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:On that grind early, brehs? 8)

Ha, me and two other of my close law bros ended up at the top of our section. I'm the middle grades of the three. Awesome to see the guys I like do well, but I'm going to be on a warpath to beat them both this upcoming semester :twisted:

rbomb

Postby rbomb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am

Syllabus week is over...time to get back on the horse!

Anybody have LegReg PT's or outlines based on the Manning and Stephenson book? New Prof is teaching from a new book. Let me know if you are looking for anything as well.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

rbomb wrote:Syllabus week is over...time to get back on the horse!

Anybody have LegReg PT's or outlines based on the Manning and Stephenson book? New Prof is teaching from a new book. Let me know if you are looking for anything as well.

hit up bros from H

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Back to the grind.

Anyone have recommendations on a torts supplement or one they want to sell to me? Gonna try to use supps throughout the semester instead of just right before finals this time.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Pleasye wrote:Back to the grind.

Anyone have recommendations on a torts supplement or one they want to sell to me? Gonna try to use supps throughout the semester instead of just right before finals this time.

I found the Torts E&E to be fine. Maybe it was because my Torts prof taught the class in a unique way, but it at least gave a solid overview of the BLL, and the sample questions were good.

I can't comment on any other supplements for Torts.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Pleasye wrote:Back to the grind.

Both Crunchtime and the E&E were pretty awful for us, but we both thought the E&E was the better of the two. Torts is just sort of an easy class where you hope you write a better exam than everyone else.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Both Crunchtime and the E&E were pretty awful for us, but we both thought the E&E was the better of the two. Torts is just sort of an easy class where you hope you write a better exam than everyone else.

Yeah that's what I've been hearing. Welp, I guess we'll see. I might just buy the E&E just in case. Thanks :)

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I had a clear torts prof so I didn't get a supplement, but I think in torts than any other class you can learn a lot from a good outline written by someone who had the same prof. Conceptual understanding from supplements gets you only so far; it's all about being able to spit out case law efficiently.

semantic

Postby semantic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm

I spent a while trying to figure this out. What does CSWS stand for?

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Useful tips related to Torts

1) find out if your exam is open note or closed

2a) if closed, you need to really focus on memorization. I would recommend outlining earlier, and re-typing the outline periodically throughout the semester. Make some flash cards (will help remember rules by writing them out, and to use for quick glances etc.)
- The reason is simple - Tort classes usually cover more rules than other classes. The rules are generally easy to grasp, but for a closed book exam, memorizing all the rules/minority rules etc is tough - start early so your application gets better

2b) if open, you should obviously know the rules - have a good outline, good structure with all the forks (you should also probably pre-write the beginning of answers to issues that are bound to come like negligence, battery etc.) - Doesnt really matter how long this outline is - make an excellent index with topics/subtopics and page numbers, three hole punch your outline, and put it in a 3 ring binder --- focus throughout the semester on application. use the EandE after a few weeks of the semester you should try writing out your responses to the examples, then checking the explanations. *In addition, you should use the Cali exercises. There are numerous good tort exercises - but always make sure you know what version or fork of the law they are applying.

Practice practice practice.

3) usually a good idea to focus on the notes section after cases in your casebook - this is where you will get the forks in the law (Majority/Minority, New/Old etc)

If you have practiced hypos along the way, you will be comfortable with applying the law to random and weird facts come exam time. When you are comfortable applying tort laws to facts generally, you will be able to move through prima facie claims easily, at which point you can apply the forks in the law

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”