OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Forgot to change the font on one of the paragraphs I copy/pasted :oops:

Can you copy/paste? That is an honor code violation at my school.... If its not I wouldnt worry about it

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Forgot to change the font on one of the paragraphs I copy/pasted :oops:

Can you copy/paste? That is an honor code violation at my school.... If its not I wouldnt worry about it

lol, the font is the least of the giveaways.

But yes, we can.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Nova wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
gaud wrote:
minnbills wrote:Ks tomorrow morning. Then torts on thursday. Almost. there.

Good luck bro

thanks guys. Thought it went pretty well. Half MC, half essay. MC went really well, essay was so-so. Only have to do well on one part to get a good grade, so here's hoping MC will pull me through. ON TO TORTS!!

FLUFFHEAD1985

Postby FLUFFHEAD1985 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:45 pm

K on wed. any advice on how to attack the fact pattern? i seem to be getting tripped up on spotting issues for K. Torts was waaaaaay easier.

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Just stopping by to say that Richard Freer saved my ass on my civ pro test. If anyone still has civ pro left definitely get his supplement if you can. Its way better than the e&e that I also read.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I've been missing you guys. Clocking in 12-14 hour days, no doubt. CSWS. Almost there, squad. Then it's all about that CSWS partying. Did 4 PTs for this test, have the law memorized, did 300 multiple choice. Hope I got this.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Just got RAPED by torts :cry:

His exam was nothing like any practice test I've ever seen (none of his were available)

Hopefully the curve saves me

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:38 pm

got last finals coming up for torts. is the name of the game here just slapping on the keyboard trying to reach transcedence in words per minute.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 pm

gaud wrote:Just got RAPED by torts :cry:

His exam was nothing like any practice test I've ever seen (none of his were available)

If you were surprised everyone else was probably surprised as well. Only good thing about this whole curve nonsense really.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:42 pm

CivPro just now. I don't think I did bad. That's about all I can say.

Everyone I talked to looks zombified. It was rough for everyone.

Also, I, for whatever reason, assumed the time was up at 4, so I plowed through everything hard until 4, realized the test wasn't over until 530. Went back and just went to town on everything in order of how weighted it was timewise.

7733 words in four hours on this one, which is all of 200 more than I wrote in 3 hours for Torts. I know it doesn't mean anything, but after what just happened in torts, it's the only solid thing I have to hold onto.

That and the fact that I'm done with CivPro and can throw everything related to that class out.

Ks on Thursday and then hammered for the foreseeable.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Had torts today feel the same way gaud. Feel the same way. Could not believe I got the test and it was a 20 page booklet.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Pleasye wrote:

If you were surprised everyone else was probably surprised as well. Only good thing about this whole curve nonsense really.

ty Pleasye

I hope you're right :D

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Jsa725 wrote:

Welcome to the other side brother!

thanks bro! It's nice to finally be finished with the first semester.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm

stillwater wrote:got last finals coming up for torts. is the name of the game here just slapping on the keyboard trying to reach transcedence in words per minute.

Thats my strategy, at least.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Nova wrote:
stillwater wrote:got last finals coming up for torts. is the name of the game here just slapping on the keyboard trying to reach transcedence in words per minute.

That was my strategy got to roughly 8000 words, hopefully I do not get docked for spelling or I am not going to be in a good spot

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
Nova wrote:

That was my strategy got to roughly 8000 words, hopefully I do not get docked for spelling or I am not going to be in a good spot

my goal is to have 3rd degree burns on my fingertips by the time I flip the lid on this bitch.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Holy fuck, you guys are going crazy with the amount of words! Some of my classes had past exams that got top grades with only 2,000-4,000 words. I knocked out my Civ Pro in 3 hours and did like 3,800. I can't imagine doing 7,700 words. That's insane!
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:39 pm

The problem for me is trying to set a balance between relative coherence and word count. My 3 hr civpro exam I was able to write around ~5400 words. I could probably have slashed out more but it didn't really seem to be worth it. But, again, I hope I am making the right gamble by writing more.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm not really keeping track of how much I write. I just keep going, don't think I'm writing THAT much though.

I thing I bombed the essay portion of my Ks exam today. Apparently there was a no oral modification clause and a liquidated damages clause in the contract that I totally missed. Spent like 50% of my time raising defenses to those two issues. Fuck.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Holy fuck, you guys are going crazy with the amount of words! Some of my classes had past exams that got top grades with only 2,000-4,000 words. I knocked out my Civ Pro in 3 hours and did like 3,800. I can't imagine doing 7,700 words. That's insane!

I think you just need to read the model answers and see what the prof. likes when possible. I'm sure if it is 8k of solid gold you're always fine, but some profs like terse writing and others want you to see everything you know.

I'm concerned that I didn't write enough for Civ Pro, but I don't think the word count is the end-all of writing an OK exam.

Maybe I'm wrong and I did horribly on my exams. :?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:20 pm

I don't think it's a 1 to 1 correlation but certainly helps to raise issues. Again, anything we come up with here is pure conjecture and everything will be relative to the person's professor. Civ pro was the only exam I have that has no word limit.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:35 pm

stillwater wrote:I don't think it's a 1 to 1 correlation but certainly helps to raise issues. Again, anything we come up with here is pure conjecture and everything will be relative to the person's professor. Civ pro was the only exam I have that has no word limit.

TITCR. it's definitely based on the professor. My Ks professor would crucify us if we wrote that much. She likes things neat and short.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:05 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
stillwater wrote:I don't think it's a 1 to 1 correlation but certainly helps to raise issues. Again, anything we come up with here is pure conjecture and everything will be relative to the person's professor. Civ pro was the only exam I have that has no word limit.

TITCR. it's definitely based on the professor. My Ks professor would crucify us if we wrote that much. She likes things neat and short.

Yup.

My last final is word limited. Totally different ball game.

Races, I think, tend to play to my strengths. I was a reporter for almost four years, so I can usually bang out a pretty coherent string of words that form a reasonable essay in pretty short order. Having a word limited exam is going to take away this (perceived) strength.

Then again, at this point, I don't even know anything anymore.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Holy fuck, you guys are going crazy with the amount of words! Some of my classes had past exams that got top grades with only 2,000-4,000 words. I knocked out my Civ Pro in 3 hours and did like 3,800. I can't imagine doing 7,700 words. That's insane!

This makes me feel slightly better. People have been kicking out 5 or 6000 words. I think through two exams I've topped out at 2500.

Torts tomorrow and Civ Pro Friday. I got one of the lowest grades on our torts midterm (met with him, and all I did was regurgitate law). Hopefully that corrects itself, but I'm glancing over all this shit again and it feels like I'm looking at it for the first time. Fuck it though. The information is in there somewhere.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”