OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gaud

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:55 pm

emkay625 wrote:I'm jealous of you all that have your LRW grade. I want it. Good or bad, it'd be motivation to study

+1

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Last final is on Monday. Crim Law. One of my worst subjects.

I have no clue how I did on any of my essays and I refuse to really think about it. I just want to pass through. I know what I did "wrong" this semester and what I need to work on so that's the positive of this cycle.

I'm just looking forward to being done on Monday and no knowledge of any grade would be of motivation right now.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

3000 word sample answers to an issue spotter with a suggested time of 1 hour.

You have gots to be shitting me

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:3000 word sample answers to an issue spotter with a suggested time of 1 hour.

LOL

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Crim and Ks down. Crim sucked, Ks went better than expected, although I didn't expect much. People's word counts varied like crazy; 2000-8000. I wrote 2000. Not sure if that's good or bad, because I guess quantity doesn't always equal quality.

Torts Tuesday, Civ Friday. I can't work today, so I'll be rocking the old "2-days-before" CSWS sessions.

Swimmer: sorry, man. Same shit happened to me last year. 2 days before Christmas, working retail, get dumped via phone call on my 15 minute break. Not the same as finals, but horrendous timing regardless. Had to go back out on the floor and work my shitty retail job like nothing happened. The worst part was I was going to propose once I chose a school. Bad luck. It'll work out, man, and I know everyone is gonna say that, but it's true.

The worst thing you can do right now is dwell. This is extra reason to keep studying, so that you don't think about it. Bury your head in your books, crush these exams, get yourself that top class rank and solid job, and soon enough you'll be laughing while she realizes that she missed out. On break, go home, see your buddies, get faded, and you may even meet another nice lady to distract you temporarily.

We've got ya, and yeah, it's an internet forum and we're all just a bunch of strangers, but we're sharing a common shitty experience and we all are capable of understanding emotion (at some level at least). Good luck, man. Remember to keep your mind occupied and focus on the task at hand.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:3000 word sample answers to an issue spotter with a suggested time of 1 hour.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you got like 3-4 sample answers that were all 3000+ words. There's always going to be 1 or 2 people in your section who are capable of thinking and typing that fast, but no more than that (at least from what I've noticed).

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Lawls. I just did 2000 in a 4-hour exam. Feels good man.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

SportsFan wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much unless you got like 3-4 sample answers that were all 3000+ words. There's always going to be 1 or 2 people in your section who are capable of thinking and typing that fast, but no more than that (at least from what I've noticed).

We got 3 samples.

The shortest is 2900 words

The longest is 3800 words.

ETA: The test is split up and it is almost certain these people spent well over an hour on this question, but still.
Last edited by Blumpbeef on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

We got 3 samples.

In an hour? :shock:

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Hour suggested, yes.

(read my edit)

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Still...

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 pm

At Common Law, if you have an additional term added after initial contract formation and then only one party performs, does mirror image rule or last shot rule apply?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

We got 3 samples.

ETA: The test is split up and it is almost certain these people spent well over an hour on this question, but still.

I can sort of understand being able to write 3000 good words (the best I've ever managed while taking a practice test was ~2600 in an hour, and obviously there are those people who are just smarter than me and who can think faster, so 3000 seems possible for some), but 3800?! And it was good?! I just can't even understand that...
They musta taken over an hour. Apparently thats happened on some of my professors exams before, there they didn't make it clear that the parts were weighted equally so some people spent waaay too long on the first section haha.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm

I couldn't understand what everyone was freaking out about. I was about to brag about getting down 27,000 in four hours. Then I realized that was characters, not words lol.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:At Common Law, if you have an additional term added after initial contract formation and then only one party performs, does mirror image rule or last shot rule apply?

So you're saying it's a unilateral contract where the UCC doesn't apply, right? Last shot rule should be the modern doctrine here, but what is the exact context for this? Someone hands you a form before you work but ends up giving you a different one?

I'd be wary and consider bringing in the UCC as a persuasive point, but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what you're talking about.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I wrote way more than 3,000 words for one essay and I wasn't even able to get to all of the question points. I felt like there was so much to discuss per question. It's why I left all of my exams feeling some sort of numb.

My Ks was all essay - I can't remember my word count. It was two hypos. I know I had more than 6,000 words though.
Torts and Property were a mix of MC and essay. I can't even remember Torts right now. Property was yesterday and had one hypo but two questions that were like "Discuss all of the affected parties" or something. One was to be 30 mins. length, the other an hour.

I just don't think word count applies to quality of the assessment or at least that's how I felt. It was more timing than not knowing the issues/how to explain them.

I heard of people leaving our Torts exam, in another section an hour early. They definitely didn't set the curve.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:40 pm

hibiki wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:At Common Law, if you have an additional term added after initial contract formation and then only one party performs, does mirror image rule or last shot rule apply?

So you're saying it's a unilateral contract where the UCC doesn't apply, right? Last shot rule should be the modern doctrine here, but what is the exact context for this? Someone hands you a form before you work but ends up giving you a different one?

I'd be wary and consider bringing in the UCC as a persuasive point, but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what you're talking about.

Ya, I don't quite get it either.

Question: do you guys use the UCC to argue persuasively? Have you read any cases where that was done IRL?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 pm

hibiki wrote:

Oral bilateral contract for services. There's notice of acceptance. P then makes a comment that might be adding a term. P performs, but D breaches before he can the perform.

Is the additional term part of the contract considering only one party performed? (Last shot or mirror image)?

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Wouldn't it depend on the jurisdiction? My professor always qualified the last-shot rule by bringing that up. I would argue both.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Ya, I don't quite get it either.

Question: do you guys use the UCC to argue persuasively? Have you read any cases where that was done IRL?

Think it depends on the professor. My contracts professor didn't really care if you used common law/UCC/restatement persuasively about anything since I guess he was trying to make the class as general/neutral as possible. So you could use the UCC even if something was clearly a service contract that had nothing to do with goods, or whatever.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Bilateral contract for services. There's notice of acceptance. P then makes a comment that might be adding a term. P performs, but D breaches before he can the perform.

Is the additional term part of the contract considering only one party performed? (Last shot or mirror image)?

I am not sure at all. I know in old outlines I read people said mirror image for services. I think it would be a silent assent/ assent by performance type thing but maybe I'm totally off. If D knew of the comment and silently continued to perform anyway, I'd argue that the term made it in. On fringe things like that I doubt you're going to find a satisfying doctrinal answer so you're probably best going through multiple interpretations and then arguing why one is best.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Bilateral contract for services. There's notice of acceptance. P then makes a comment that might be adding a term. P performs, but D breaches before he can the perform.

I'd argue no because P changed the initial contract, thus it wasn't conforming to the initial agreed upon contract and thus it was a counteroffer of some sort or it wasn't even a contract. I would think P is at a loss because he went ahead and performed to a not agreed upon contract. Both parties have to agree to the contract in common law. In UCC, you can apply industry standards and other stipulations.

But I would also agree that since P performed, the Court would always want to look at that depending on the local jurisdictions rules and such.

My Ks class is two semesters long and we cover it all. UCC, CISG and CL.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm basing this off of an issue spotter I'm looking at, so I'm not surprised that it's on the margins. I was just curious if this was settled because I only have in my notes: Both perform = Last Shot. Both do not perform = Mirror Image. I assumed that this would fall under the latter situation, but I was not sure.

Thanks for the help!

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:52 pm

My Civ pro exam was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen. It looked nothing like any of the professors old exams, nor like any exam I pulled up from other profs at the school or anywhere else. You know the standard TLS advice to not worry about knowing the cases? The ENTIRE test was about random nuances from cases we read: "in x v x the court held that...." 30 multiple choice questions which seemed like they were written by a 10 year old since half of them could have been answered "maybe, it depends on xyz...." NO fact patterns, NO application of laws to facts, and a final essay which seemed like it was pulled straight from a history test and had nothing to do with current law.

What the fk?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:56 pm

fosterp wrote:My Civ pro exam was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen. It looked nothing like any of the professors old exams, nor like any exam I pulled up from other profs at the school or anywhere else. You know the standard TLS advice to not worry about knowing the cases? The ENTIRE test was about random nuances from cases we read: "in x v x the court held that...." 30 multiple choice questions which seemed like they were written by a 10 year old since half of them could have been answered "maybe, it depends on xyz...." NO fact patterns, NO application of laws to facts, and a final essay which seemed like it was pulled straight from a history test and had nothing to do with current law.

What the fk?

Well law exams aren't really based on current law. Was it maybe a policy related question?

I take Civ. Pro next semester (assuming I pass this one). Did you listen to BarBri lectures?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”