OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gaud

Platinum

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Nova wrote:1st exam tomorrow :shock:
You're gonn ace it! Good luck!!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:20 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Do most places have only 3 substantive course for first semester 1L? My school does 4 substantive plus a graded writing and a graded legal research (separate courses) for a grand total of 6.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

A lot of schools do, but some schools, like yours and mine have 6. I know someone at Akron who had 6 her 1L year.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Do most places have only 3 substantive course for first semester 1L? My school does 4 substantive plus a graded writing and a graded legal research (separate courses) for a grand total of 6.
[/quote][/quote]

A lot of schools do, but some schools, like yours and mine have 6. I know someone at Akron who had 6 her 1L year.[/quote]

Yeah but it doesn't really matter whether you have 3 or 6.

If you have three then you just bust ass an get through all the material sooner. Your entire class is in the same situation. If you've got 6, you have less material per semester and a two exams for each class. But, again, everyone is in the same boat

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

One highly unrigorous school apparently only has 2 finals.

SMH

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 pm

mr.hands wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Do most places have only 3 substantive course for first semester 1L? My school does 4 substantive plus a graded writing and a graded legal research (separate courses) for a grand total of 6.
[/quote]

A lot of schools do, but some schools, like yours and mine have 6. I know someone at Akron who had 6 her 1L year.[/quote]

If you have three then you just bust ass an get through all the material sooner. Your entire class is in the same situation. If you've got 6, you have less material per semester and a two exams for each class. But, again, everyone is in the same boat[/quote]

Sure, but I would rather have 1 semester and be done with it rather than it fall over an entire year. Less classes, more short-term stress. More classes, more long-term stress over the same material.

I felt bad for one of my section maters. There was a really bad accident that took place and closed down lanes. I know her and one other person in another section who didn't arrive to the final until 45 mins. into it. The school wasn't going to give them a re-do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 pm

nvm

splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Property --> Find --> Treasure Trove.

What effect does trivially trespassing have? I'm confused by my own notes lol If you're trivially trespassing, are you allowed to keep it or no?

Maximized

New

Post by Maximized » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm

1 down, 3 to go. 2nd is tomorrow: my strongest class, Civ.Pro.

Just thoroughly analyzed a PT; broke that shit down issue by issue and owned its ass. Untimed, but I was able to get decent answers to timed PTs before - it was organization that was the problem. All my professor's question calls are the same (You clerk for the appellate judge. Assess the issues and basically see where there were errors in procedure or other ways to narrow down the mass of issues) so I'm pretty happy with doing IRAC for each issue. Next PT will be doing that, but timed and focusing on the issues in order of importance, not chronologically.

Everyone else with finals tomorrow better be ready to wreck shop with me. Remember: we're only in law school because we don't have any other marketable skills... But that means we're damn good at this. Make that final pay in more ways than one. CSWS

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 pm

congrats to everyone who had exams today!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 pm

mr.hands wrote:

If you have three then you just bust ass an get through all the material sooner. Your entire class is in the same situation. If you've got 6, you have less material per semester and a two exams for each class. But, again, everyone is in the same boat
Yeah, I wasn't implying that I have more work, just thought everyone had that many classes. Thought that was the norm.

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 pm

gaud wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:At library, not studying. Five days until last final, hoping motivation kicks in before next week.
I've been learning contracts over the past 3 days. I'll let you know how it works after my exam today.

Also,

fml
Shit. I just started tonight. Exam Saturday. We can do this. I feel like organization will be key here, and having a good checklist.

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
gaud wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:At library, not studying. Five days until last final, hoping motivation kicks in before next week.
I've been learning contracts over the past 3 days. I'll let you know how it works after my exam today.

Also,

fml
Shit. I just started tonight. Exam Saturday. We can do this. I feel like organization will be key here, and having a good checklist.

csws.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:43 am

Last final tomorrow, almost kind of hard to believe.

Where is swimmer at btw?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am

Raiden wrote:Last final tomorrow, almost kind of hard to believe.

Where is swimmer at btw?
Making you take a final on Saturday huh? I have one Monday and one Thursday. Cant believe how fast this semester went!

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:

Where is swimmer at btw?
Making you take a final on Saturday huh? I have one Monday and one Thursday. Cant believe how fast this semester went!
I was just thinking the same thing! I spent the first month or so not really knowing what was going on, then next thing I knew we were in the middle of our reading week.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm

JG7773 wrote:

Where is swimmer at btw?
I was just thinking the same thing! I spent the first month or so not really knowing what was going on, then next thing I knew we were in the middle of our reading week.
Man, thinking back to the beginning.... I was sooo inefficient!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 pm

JG7773 wrote:

Where is swimmer at btw?
Man, thinking back to the beginning.... I was sooo inefficient!
It's part of the process. There's nothing anyone could've told you that would've made you more efficient back then. I definitely learned how to read cases much more quickly now, and everyone has a different style of outlining and taking notes and stuff that you have to figure out on your own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 pm

gaud wrote:
Nova wrote:1st exam tomorrow :shock:
You're gonn ace it! Good luck!!
thx bro. 2 hours. AHHHH!!!!

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Going out with a bang brothers, I am actually looking foward to this civ pro final in a few hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Good Luck everybody with your exams today!!!!!

I have my torts exam Monday and man it will be a monster.

Question: I like the LEEWS method for planning ten minutes, writing what I have outlined, and repeat. However, my torts exam on Monday is rumored to be a ten page fact pattern (heard she increases page size each year and last year it was 9 pages :/) should I read through the whole fact pattern first just to try and get a handle on what is going on and then proceed with the outlining writing process?

TYIA

Thoughts and prayers to anyone who knows someone involved in the CT incident.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Question: I like the LEEWS method for planning ten minutes, writing what I have outlined, and repeat. However, my torts exam on Monday is rumored to be a ten page fact pattern (heard she increases page size each year and last year it was 9 pages :/) should I read through the whole fact pattern first just to try and get a handle on what is going on and then proceed with the outlining writing process?
It depends on your professor and the fact pattern. If it's an overarching tort that she wants you to discuss policy about then ya read it. If it is a million different torts then reading it might be a waste of time. Maybe skim it real quick though.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Question: I like the LEEWS method for planning ten minutes, writing what I have outlined, and repeat. However, my torts exam on Monday is rumored to be a ten page fact pattern (heard she increases page size each year and last year it was 9 pages :/) should I read through the whole fact pattern first just to try and get a handle on what is going on and then proceed with the outlining writing process?
It depends on your professor and the fact pattern. If it's an overarching tort that she wants you to discuss policy about then ya read it. If it is a million different torts then reading it might be a waste of time. Maybe skim it real quick though.
The exam is three parts: 1) 15 multiple choice questions worth 12% 2) Policy question worth 28% 3) Long 10 page hypo worth 60%.

On the issue spotter from what she has said and form what the TA has said, it is just a typical racehorse exam. Everyone starts at 0 and gets points based on the issues they raise etc. However, sometimes she will include all of the injuries at the end of the issue spotter or have smaller questions within the larger issue spotter she will specifically ask. It is a fucking nightmare.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I have having problems focusing. Need to study for my final monday, yet I find myself on Fantasy football/FB/TLS every 5 minutes :( ughhhhh

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:54 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I have having problems focusing. Need to study for my final monday, yet I find myself on Fantasy football/FB/TLS every 5 minutes :( ughhhhh
Same here bro. Since finishing my second final I've done nothing lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”