OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 20130312 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:For torts do you think it is a good idea to restate the law each time you have a new claim? I have been restating the rule, and then making subheaders for each element, but it takes a shit ton of time! Also, most of the model answers I see from schools don't use headers, or even address each element of a claim (or are very conclusory). Any thoughts from the torts masters out there?

No. State it once, reference the first statement with each subsequent claim.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Back from another 2.5 hours in the library... Think I'll chill tonight. Read over my outline once or twice, and read over old exam answers a bit. Otherwise, don't think there's much else I can do. Nervous, but kind of excited to finally get started with finals. Sooner I start, sooner they're over.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:30 pm

SportsFan wrote:Back from another 2.5 hours in the library... Think I'll chill tonight. Read over my outline once or twice, and read over old exam answers a bit. Otherwise, don't think there's much else I can do. Nervous, but kind of excited to finally get started with finals. Sooner I start, sooner they're over.

When is your first final bruh?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:31 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Back from another 2.5 hours in the library... Think I'll chill tonight. Read over my outline once or twice, and read over old exam answers a bit. Otherwise, don't think there's much else I can do. Nervous, but kind of excited to finally get started with finals. Sooner I start, sooner they're over.

When is your first final bruh?

930am tomorrow. I'm just hoping I can sleep well tonight. :lol:

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Quick Q: Are statute of limitations considered as substantive law for choice-of-law issues by the Federal courts?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Quick Q: Are statute of limitations considered as substantive law for choice-of-law issues by the Federal courts?

Yes: Guarantee Trust Co. of New York v. York (1945)

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Quick Q: Are statute of limitations considered as substantive law for choice-of-law issues by the Federal courts?

assuming i understand your q:

if it would lead to forum shopping, yes

SCOOPED by Mr. Joad

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Yes: Guarantee Trust Co. of New York v. York (1945)

Thanks. We didn't do that case and my professor just said that SoL was substantive law at one random point in the class as an off-hand remark. I wanted to make sure.

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Well, I'm butthurt. Without traffic, I can get to my school in 15 minutes, 20 at the most. I've adjusted to having to leaving a minimum of 45 minutes early, though, because my area has some braindead city planners (BRB, city of 125,000 and only two lanes, and morning traffic is awful). This isn't a big deal when even my earliest class is at 9:00 Am and there's little risk of getting cold-called, but when ALL of my finals are at 8:15 AM, jimmies become rustled.

So, what should I do? It seems my options are:

(A) Get up at 5:00 Am to make sure I can get there on time (traffic is anyone's guess, and I can't be late, obviously); or
(B) Sleep in the damn law library; or
(C) Get a room in a nearby hotel, cutting down my drive to a near-certain 5-10 minutes.

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:For torts do you think it is a good idea to restate the law each time you have a new claim? I have been restating the rule, and then making subheaders for each element, but it takes a shit ton of time! Also, most of the model answers I see from schools don't use headers, or even address each element of a claim (or are very conclusory). Any thoughts from the torts masters out there?

You don't want to restate the rule every time. Your grader knows that you know it once you state it. Just a simple, this is an x claim and the above rule y applies --> analysis as to how it applies/why/why not/how the other side will argue/maybe how it will come out or if it should go to a jury.

With headers, if you can use them and they help organize your paper so the professor has an easier time reading it and seeing where your arguments touch the points that you need to make, then you should probably use them.

That being said, it's really about what you write. I've seen model answers that go both ways, but they all usually demonstrate a mastery of the bll, an ability to think analytically, and often a certain level of playfulness with the scenario that allows them to explore issues and claims in novel ways.

Anyway -- the twatwaffles in the room next door have not stopped talking for the last two hours. I'm pretty comfortable here in my apartment study fort, but I might just go over to the library for this torts pt.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Question: would a rule banning megathreads lead to forum shopping?

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Question: would a rule banning megathreads lead to forum shopping?

lol I would argue yes

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm

thelong wrote:Anyway -- the twatwaffles in the room next door have not stopped talking for the last two hours. I'm pretty comfortable here in my apartment study fort, but I might just go over to the library for this torts pt.

This. I've done all my studying, minus a few hours of study group, at home. My neighbors scream their conversations, in a language I can't understand, all day. I'm never sure if they're just really loud or if it's a domestic abuse situation, but either way, it's distracting.

I miss the beginning of the semester when they would only do this from 11:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 pm

I seriously have barely studied for my exam tomorrow.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I seriously have barely studied for my exam tomorrow.

+1

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 pm

I've been studying for a long time and I felt comfortable. My exam is tomorrow morning and all of a sudden i feel like i don't know anything

I'm freaking out

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
thelong wrote:Anyway -- the twatwaffles

i stopped reading and LOL'd :D

Glad I could lighten the mood.

Anyway, I've decided on a compromise. Since I can see that the law building is full of people from my window, and since I really have no desire to penetrate the very hive of anxiety, I'm going to go out and buy some earplugs for the PT and some liquor for afterwards.

Anybody else just find it to be a little too much in the library right now?

ETA: Yeah, I feel like I've been studying, but that I haven't studied anywhere near as much as I thought I would have. At the same time, I don't see how I could have studied more, knowing myself, and done so effectively.

Anyway, I actually feel like if I had to take all of my exams tomorrow that I could make it work; but I'm going to take advantage of all the time I have while I can, haha. First final isn't until Wednesday.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm

gaud wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I seriously have barely studied for my exam tomorrow.

+1

I seriously really don't think studying can help that much. You know it or you don't.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Team:

I will be signing off for a little while. Tuesday is my first exam. For the next two days, I am simply typing my outline twice and taking two practice exams. I am writing ~1600 words per hour and hitting the major issues. I did all I could. But this is not about me, it's about us.

We strived, we yelled, we sweat, but most importantly, we motivated each other. Taking a law school exam for the first time is daunting. Besides the bad economy, brutal curve, and cutthroat competition, there is still the law school exam. Yet, one thing shines above all the odds and pressure: brotherhood. We are in this together.

If I fall, as Jsa commonly says, at least I did not fall with my head buried in the sand. TIll the last sweat drop, we persevered.

And for that, I'm thankful. See you guys on the other side.

- LGL

TL;DR - Signing off until exams are over. Thanks for helping me out. We're in this together. See you on the other side.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Godspeed, LGL

Postby 20130312 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 pm

mr.hands wrote:I've been studying for a long time and I felt comfortable. My exam is tomorrow morning and all of a sudden i feel like i don't know anything

I'm freaking out

Same on the bolded bro, and I'm never anxious about anything. Let's just get through this shit. CSWS. And

gaud wrote:Godspeed, LGL

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”