OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 am

I have been using the short answers in the Crunchtime series. The hypos are separated by subject. It's realm helping me organize the way I write the rules. To those who use the Crunchtime series, do you think these short answers are useful? Or should I use E&Es instead?

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:I have been using the short answers in the Crunchtime series. The hypos are separated by subject. It's realm helping me organize the way I write the rules. To those who use the Crunchtime series, do you think these short answers are useful? Or should I use E&Es instead?
I've noticed some of the answers in the Property Crunchtime can be a little off. Sometimes it doesn't take into account minority viewpoints, or subtleties. There was one question that I had trouble with -- I brought it to my Property prof and he's like "Yeah, this is just......wrong."

But overall, the short answers I find useful, even if I take it with a grain of salt.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:I have been using the short answers in the Crunchtime series. The hypos are separated by subject. It's realm helping me organize the way I write the rules. To those who use the Crunchtime series, do you think these short answers are useful? Or should I use E&Es instead?
I will agree with brotha Greenchair. They are definitely good for practice, but do not think that they are going to present answers for different "forks" e.g jurisdiction, minority/majority, etc.

I personally have both Crunchtime and E&E and they are both very good, albeit for different things. The E&E have longer fact patterns which are nice. Also, the contracts and torts E&E are phenomenal, Criminal Law sucks except for the practice problems.

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am

Since we're on this topic, can we discuss what supplements we are using for PRACTICE problems? And rate their usefulness?

CivPro:
E&E: Awesome.
Crunchtime: Pretty good. Emphasizes nuances of the law that you wouldn't otherwise have seen (at least for SMJ and the few problems I've done)

Torts
E&E: Awesome.
Crunchtime: I haven't used..... advice?
Siegels: Decent essay hypos
Friedmans: Haven't used yet

Property
E&E: Just ordered it. Haven't heard great things about it but more problems to do.
Crunchtime: Decent, but doesn't account for forks.
Siegels: Decent essay hypos
Friedmans: Haven't used yet

Anyone else use other problem sets?

Maximized

New

Post by Maximized » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm

greenchair wrote:Since we're on this topic, can we discuss what supplements we are using for PRACTICE problems? And rate their usefulness?
I'll be using the E&Es for Civ.Pro, Contracts, and Torts, and Siegel's for Contracts and Torts. My Civ.Pro. professor is giving us half a dozen old exams as well. However, I've yet to find anything for Leg.Reg., so I'll be using the old exams of other professors that teach it at my school.

Do these seem like good choices? The E&Es for Contracts and Torts were extremely valuable in understanding the material, so I'm hoping they'll be valuable for practicing as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelong

Silver

Post by thelong » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Crushed outlining this morning. Should be 2/3 -- 3/3 done with outlining in general by the end of the weekend.

Also, reading over a Torts model answer from a recent fact pattern this morning and I've got this. Feeling pretty confident.

Loving the (nerdiest) mayhem.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Even LetsGoLAW has batteries. Taking it reasonable tonight to avoid complete burn out. Catching up on sleep. I'm well ahead, so I am confident.

Boys and girls, CSWS also includes being able to CSWS. Take it easy, kids.

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Even LetsGoLAW has batteries. Taking it reasonable tonight to avoid complete burn out. Catching up on sleep. I'm well ahead, so I am confident.

Boys and girls, CSWS also includes being able to CSWS. Take it easy, kids.

LetsGoLAW, quit with the contradictory posts! You are messing with our heads! Haha, jk.

Can stop. Will stop. (within reason)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:00 pm

I hit the wall today, seriously. 5-6 hours of sleep a night was not cutting it. Don't you worry kids, you know I'll be back in action ASAP.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Got done all my civ pro outlining (takes me up until the end of this week) as I wanted to according to my schedule. Now I just need to outline the last ~2 weeks of torts and all my outlines will be up to date, and I'll start doing PT's tomorrow.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 pm

I am feeling good about where I am. I actually feel, dare I say it, comfortable. I will beginning PT tomorrow and so I guess then I will really be able to determine how good I feel.

Will be going hard until 11:00 P.M tonight. LetsGoLaw you deserve a break! Everyone else remember - consistency is the name of the game, and you do not want to become burnt out. However, I do not feel that I will ever be burnt out because I fucking love this shit. :twisted:

CSWS

GUNNING FOR LIFE
Last edited by swimmer11 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:44 pm

My weekend plan of attack:

Friday: finish torts reading for year (50 pages) + OL torts upto where we are in class
Saturday: finish K reading for year (50 pages) + OL K up to where we are in class
Sunday: watch cowboys/browns second half + OL K and torts for the year + gather info for my "consequences of twiqbal standard" (if yall know of any interesting cases that apply twiqbal, lemme know).

Next week: PTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPT

CSWS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm

My semester was extended a week. I am doing all the short answers hypothetical by subject. Then a few hundred MP. Then doing 4-5 PTs per class. Typing up my quick BLL outline per class 8-10 times. Develop attack outline. Close holes with supps. Review GTM and Whitebread. 15 hour days next week, boys. Profit time is coming up. Breather tonight, see you kids manana.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 pm

How many PTs y'all planning on doing per class?

I'm at 8ish. Too little? Too much?

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:08 pm

gaud wrote:How many PTs y'all planning on doing per class?

I'm at 8ish. Too little? Too much?
I'm going to aim to do 6, two per professor.

This week my criminal law outline is done, finish my Con and Ks one. Kill my final memo this week, do some PTs, and learn my outline cold. Hopefully it will be enough to get above median.

Gaud, let's get trashed over winter break.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Rawlberto wrote:Gaud, let's get trashed over winter break.
I'm down. How's school treating you bro?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I am having the hardest time with phrasing negligence on an exam so can someone tell me if this right por favor.

Duty

Act as a reasonable person of ordinary prudence. (If there are any other duties, owner, professional standard, etc they come after this)

Breach

A breached his duty to B when he carelessly held onto his peanuts, letting them fall all over the place, and into the gun of B

Causation

Factual Cause - but for test, etc
Proximate Cause - foreseeability, etc

Harm

I am really concerned with the phrasing of the duty and the breach of said duty. Does this look good? If not please tell me how to fix it.

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 pm

swimmer11 wrote:I am having the hardest time with phrasing negligence on an exam so can someone tell me if this right por favor.

Duty

Act as a reasonable person of ordinary prudence. (If there are any other duties, owner, professional standard, etc they come after this)

Breach

A breached his duty to B when he carelessly held onto his peanuts, letting them fall all over the place, and into the gun of B

Causation

Factual Cause - but for test, etc
Proximate Cause - foreseeability, etc

Harm

I am really concerned with the phrasing of the duty and the breach of said duty. Does this look good? If not please tell me how to fix it.
You have a duty to act as a reasonable person would under like circumstances (unless you are a kid, physically disabled, etc.)

You have breached a duty to [whomever] when [whatever you did] is contrary to what a reasonable person would do under like circumstances.

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Bros. I've been at it since 8:30 (with a 1.5 hour work-out break) and I am toast. Am I allowed to stop? I'm so close to finishing my Torts outline

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 pm

greenchair wrote:Bros. I've been at it since 8:30 (with a 1.5 hour work-out break) and I am toast. Am I allowed to stop? I'm so close to finishing my Torts outline
Finish it first.

ETA: !!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 pm

greenchair wrote:Bros. I've been at it since 8:30 (with a 1.5 hour work-out break) and I am toast. Am I allowed to stop? I'm so close to finishing my Torts outline
Thanks alot for the response bro!

Also, finish it bruh!!! You will feel so much better if you did, then if you did not!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
Thanks alot for the response bro!

Also, finish it bruh!!! You will feel so much better if you did, then if you did not!
I am with you, just enjoyed a nice dinner with the gf at a local restaurant, couple of drinks, will finish Contracts outline tonight!

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:50 pm

QUICK, TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD DO IN MY POSITION:

One week of class to go...

- Finished and bound my outlines for Torts and Contracts. Will follow the reading this week but have read ahead in outlines/supplements so I get the concepts.
- LR memo due Monday - 95% done. May have over-edited (if thats possible) but can't seem to walk away until I turn it on Monday.
- Almost done with my Crim outline. Teacher is very quirky so I've been studying her old rubrics trying understand her analysis. In the process I've been supplmenting my outline over and over so can't bind it yet.
- I've done all the E&E sections and all the practice sections.
- I've done most of the applicable CALI lessons atleast once.

All that really seems to be left is PTs... I've done a couple for each class so far. I'M RUNNING OUT MOTIVATION! Problem is, I feel like I may be ahead of the game. In the back of my head I know these kids are coming for me, but it isn't enough to get me re-ignited. Part of it may also be that I feel like I've done everything I've wanted to do to prep.

Beside PTs what should I be doing right now!

Thanks!

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:QUICK, TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD DO IN MY POSITION:

One week of class to go...

- Finished and bound my outlines for Torts and Contracts. Will follow the reading this week but have read ahead in outlines/supplements so I get the concepts.
- LR memo due Monday - 95% done. May have over-edited (if thats possible) but can't seem to walk away until I turn it on Monday.
- Almost done with my Crim outline. Teacher is very quirky so I've been studying her old rubrics trying understand her analysis. In the process I've been supplmenting my outline over and over so can't bind it yet.
- I've done all the E&E sections and all the practice sections.
- I've done most of the applicable CALI lessons atleast once.

All that really seems to be left is PTs... I've done a couple for each class so far. I'M RUNNING OUT MOTIVATION! Problem is, I feel like I may be ahead of the game. In the back of my head I know these kids are coming for me, but it isn't enough to get me re-ignited. Part of it may also be that I feel like I've done everything I've wanted to do to prep.

Beside PTs what should I be doing right now!

Thanks!
First thing is first, if you are done with your open memo put it to bed. I over-analyzed my memo and did not get the grade I thought I deserved (Although it was not bad by any means). That being said, you should never NEVER underestimate your classmates. You have no idea what they are doing, and they have no idea what you are doing. There are most definitely closet gunners in your section, and you should never doubt their abilities.

With one week to go in your classes I would advocate this: take a few more PT, keep delving into who your professor is and what she/he wants on the exam, glance over a couple of law school essay writing supplements, take a shit ton of PT and hypotheticals, and relax.

In the end if you have given everything you can, good things will happen, and you need to trust yourself, the hard work you have put in this semester, and your ability to FUCKING KILL THESE EXAMS!!

CSWS

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”