OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stillwater

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by stillwater » Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Bronck wrote:I have no energy guys :( haven't even taken the first test yet
Me neither. I'm going straight cruise control from here on out. I'll take whatever grades they wanna give me.
I dunno if I have the energy to read fact patterns anymore

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:02 am

damn this motivation thread turned into the exam depression thread. Took a look back at the first few pages and the vive was completely different lol. C'mon guys only a few more weeks hang in there. I know i'm no LGL, but we got this shit.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 am

Hey guys, can someone help me out with this property question? I feel dumb but I don't understand why A is the answer and not D.

A, B, and C owned Blackacre as joint tenants. A conveyed her interest to C. As a result:

a. If B dies, C would own the whole, by herself.
b. If C dies, B would own the whole, by herself.
c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I thought because the unity of interest was severed, C and B would become tenants in common. Can someone 'splain this to me?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Hey guys, can someone help me out with this property question? I feel dumb but I don't understand why A is the answer and not D.

A, B, and C owned Blackacre as joint tenants. A conveyed her interest to C. As a result:

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I thought because the unity of interest was severed, C and B would become tenants in common. Can someone 'splain this to me?
It's D. When A conveys the interest to C, it breaks the unity of interest. Thus, C is no longer a JT. And B cannot be a JT with himself. I dunno how A could possible be correct. Unless this is some fucked up exception but it seems by rigid application of CL rules it should be D.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 12:35 am

stillwater wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey guys, can someone help me out with this property question? I feel dumb but I don't understand why A is the answer and not D.

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

It's D. When A conveys the interest to C, it breaks the unity of interest. Thus, C is no longer a JT. And B cannot be a JT with himself. I dunno how A could possible be correct. Unless this is some fucked up exception but it seems by rigid application of CL rules it should be D.
Ahh thank you. That's what I thought. I think maybe the answer key that this guy posted isn't completely correct....that's f'ing frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:05 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
Ahh thank you. That's what I thought. I think maybe the answer key that this guy posted isn't completely correct....that's f'ing frustrating.
I'm doing these same ones right now!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 am

dannynoonan87 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
http://lawweb.pace.edu/jhumbach/finalexams.htm - These ones? Have you noticed any strange questions/answers? Granted, this wasn't my class and profs teach things differently sometimes.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:59 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
dannynoonan87 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
http://lawweb.pace.edu/jhumbach/finalexams.htm - These ones? Have you noticed any strange questions/answers? Granted, this wasn't my class and profs teach things differently sometimes.
One I did about tolling for disabilities in Ad Po didn't make sense.

I'm only practicing about 60% of the questions since my class was straight real property + pierson v post, while it looks like this class at pace covered a lot of personal property.

Who's got some Rule Against Purps questions with answers?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sun May 05, 2013 2:07 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
stillwater wrote:

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I don't know man, I'm pretty sure the answer is A. The unities were only broken on 1/3 of the property, BC are joint tenants in the other 2/3s. B only takes the 2/3 interest on C's death.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 am

TemporarySaint wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
stillwater wrote:

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I don't know man, I'm pretty sure the answer is A. The unities were only broken on 1/3 of the property, BC are joint tenants in the other 2/3s. B only takes the 2/3 interest on C's death.
huh?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 am

I'm not sure how you can separate the 1/3 that A conveyed from the remaining 2/3. C now has a 2/3 interest, which compared to B's 1/3 interest, breaks the unity of interest, no?

That was a lot of "interests."

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 am

Let's say that A conveyed to D instead. Then D would be TIC with B/C (with B and C being joint tenants still).

But A conveyed to C. So B/C are still joint tenants with respect to 2/3 of the property, with C owning another 1/3 from A.

When B dies, C get's B's 1/3. C now has A's 1/3, B's 1/3, and his own 1/3. He owns it all.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 am

HellOnHeels wrote:Let's say that A conveyed to D instead. Then D would be TIC with B/C (with B and C being joint tenants still).

But A conveyed to C. So B/C are still joint tenants with respect to 2/3 of the property, with C owning another 1/3 from A.

When B dies, C get's B's 1/3. C now has A's 1/3, B's 1/3, and his own 1/3. He owns it all.
Wouldn't C's interest merge though? That's what I don't get.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun May 05, 2013 10:28 am

stillwater wrote:
HellOnHeels wrote:Let's say that A conveyed to D instead. Then D would be TIC with B/C (with B and C being joint tenants still).

I thought interests could only merge if one was a lesser duration/smaller interest (such as a life estate merging with a fee simple, or an easement merging with the servient estate). C would own two interests in fee simple, so merger wouldn't work. That's how I would explain it.

You could maybe also make an argument for, that if C's interests did merge, a court would find it wouldn't destroy the joint tenancy between B and C. Obviously O wanted there to be right of survivorship. It wouldn't make sense to let A convey to D and not destroy the survivorship between B and C, but if A conveys to C, it would. Then A could just convey to a strawman, who then would convey to C, and most jurisdictions have gotten rid of strawman, I think.

Property. Sheesh.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 am

HellOnHeels wrote:
stillwater wrote:

I thought interests could only merge if one was a lesser duration/smaller interest (such as a life estate merging with a fee simple, or an easement merging with the servient estate). C would own two interests in fee simple, so merger wouldn't work. That's how I would explain it.

You could maybe also make an argument for, that if C's interests did merge, a court would find it wouldn't destroy the joint tenancy between B and C. Obviously O wanted there to be right of survivorship. It wouldn't make sense to let A convey to D and not destroy the survivorship between B and C, but if A conveys to C, it would. Then A could just convey to a strawman, who then would convey to C, and most jurisdictions have gotten rid of strawman, I think.

Property. Sheesh.
Yea that seems to make sense. I think it's a stupid question.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 am

stillwater wrote:
HellOnHeels wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Property. Sheesh.
Yea that seems to make sense. I think it's a stupid question.
He was over-thinking it. If you outlive the other joint tenants, you win the game and get the prize $. He was bringing in Doctrine of Worthier Title. Don't use the cotenancies to then think about the estates, just think about them as the end of the estates - how you can co-own whatever estate was previously conveyed to you. It isn't that deep.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 pm

If the interests did merge for C, wouldn't that destroy the unities...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 pm

fuck the casenote.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I interrupt this property review to announce: self-schedule is the devil.

"I'll take it Sunday morning..."
"well, maybe I'll take it this evening..."
"Monday wouldn't be bad..."

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I interrupt this property review to announce: self-schedule is the devil.

GTFO of my head.

CSWS bloodpact:We're taking em Sunday evening.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I interrupt this property review to announce: self-schedule is the devil.

GTFO of my head.

CSWS bloodpact:We're taking em Sunday evening.
Actually, this is a great idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Transfer2DC

New

Post by Transfer2DC » Sun May 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Can someone explain to me how a "Pick 2 out of the 3 problems to answer" can be graded on a curve.

My teacher has no said rubric or anything, but I do not understand how the grades would be calculated.

If 50 people in the class choose 1 & 2, and only 10 choose to answer a combination with question 3, how is it possible to grade those exams against each other?

Am I just mentally fried from exams, or am I missing something?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Transfer2DC wrote:Can someone explain to me how a "Pick 2 out of the 3 problems to answer" can be graded on a curve.

My teacher has no said rubric or anything, but I do not understand how the grades would be calculated.

If 50 people in the class choose 1 & 2, and only 10 choose to answer a combination with question 3, how is it possible to grade those exams against each other?

Am I just mentally fried from exams, or am I missing something?
They're all worth the same. Your exam is out of a hundred. Each question is 50 points. You get a score out of fifty relative to whoever did that same problem.

If you think one is harder or more time consuming than te others don't do it, you do t get anything for being an hero.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun May 05, 2013 3:52 pm

My sleep schedule is 8am to 3pm. How do I fix this for a 10am final on Tues?

I'm like actually serious lol

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun May 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Bronck wrote:My sleep schedule is 8am to 3pm. How do I fix this for a 10am final on Tues?

I'm like actually serious lol
Stay awake until 8 pm tomorrow. Sleep until 8 am Tuesday. Hope for the best.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”