OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I've finally realized that one of my professors just wants me to regurgitate as many concepts as possible on the questions, even if there's no possibility of that concept fitting into the hypo, just for the sake of it.

My exam will literally just be cutting and pasting my outline followed by a single sentence applied to the facts for each concept. Then repeat for a total of 4,000 words.

lulz.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Finished property. Total clusterfuck reponses; I don't know how some students put together organized, clearly thought out answers...I just word vomit.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 10:07 pm

How fucked would i be if i just read model answers to crim instead of doing practice tests?

I cannot find the energy in me at all to do practice tests... i, of course, tried my hand on an insanely difficult one and kind of just gave up (the prof in the model answer even said it was really difficult).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Bronck wrote:How fucked would i be if i just read model answers to crim instead of doing practice tests?

I cannot find the energy in me at all to do practice tests... i, of course, tried my hand on an insanely difficult one and kind of just gave up (the prof in the model answer even said it was really difficult).
practice tests are overrated. esp if its a kind of exam youve done before

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 pm

stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:How fucked would i be if i just read model answers to crim instead of doing practice tests?

Yea. I think reading answers would do you alright. That's all I really did for Con Law and the exam went great (at least I think lol)

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 pm

stillwater wrote:

well, i mean i haven't had much practice with statutory interp and shit... but it is a pure issue spotter. i dunno. just do MAs and try to churn out with attack OL?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:

well, i mean i haven't had much practice with statutory interp and shit... but it is a pure issue spotter. i dunno. just do MAs and try to churn out with attack OL?
if you're tight with time, what I like to do is read through a test, marking it up, spotting issues and just turning the forks over in my mind. you know how to write exams, its just getting comfortable with the layout and knowing how you want to attack it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 pm

stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:

if you're tight with time, what I like to do is read through a test, marking it up, spotting issues and just turning the forks over in my mind. you know how to write exams, its just getting comfortable with the layout and knowing how you want to attack it.
okay thanks. yeah, very tight on time. I just have no confidence about this test and feel like shit about it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote: practice tests are overrated. esp if its a kind of exam youve done before
okay thanks. yeah, very tight on time. I just have no confidence about this test and feel like shit about it.
I've done 3 crime PTs and the first was just as solid as the 3rd

joetheplumber

Bronze

Post by joetheplumber » Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 pm

fuck you Con law!!! WHY SO HARD

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 pm

JamMasterJ wrote: I've done 3 crime PTs and the first was just as solid as the 3rd
so, what you're telling us is that you were BORN to issue spot

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 am

stillwater wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: I've done 3 crime PTs and the first was just as solid as the 3rd
so, what you're telling us is that you were BORN to issue spot
LOL I wish - no, just that crim issue spotting is generally a bit simpler than, for instance, contracts.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm

crim is gonna be a bloodbath

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm

stillwater wrote:crim is gonna be a bloodbath
you can say that again. I still feel completely screwed for it. Least favorite class of law school yet

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:crim is gonna be a bloodbath
you can say that again. I still feel completely screwed for it. Least favorite class of law school yet
im gonna take it and get outta town

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu May 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Any last minute crim tips ?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

3 full days between tests is starting to be a #$@ing grind! CSWS but I sure as hell wish I could stop

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Bronck wrote:Any last minute crim tips ?

stay calm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:08 pm

For a racehorse exam, is it more credited to do a ton of hypos or just memorize and know the info cold?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu May 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:For a racehorse exam, is it more credited to do a ton of hypos or just memorize and know the info cold?
Have you done one before? People in this thread seem to be militant practice test takers, but after you've done an exam like this before, I don't think it helps too much.

Right JamMasterJ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 pm

when you guys are going through an issue, do you say: he did x, which meets the act requirement, he said y, which indicates mens rea, and there's z, which = whatever other element?

I kinda blew by the obvious issues last semester and it cost me - how do I fix that?

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:For a racehorse exam, is it more credited to do a ton of hypos or just memorize and know the info cold?
Have you done one before? People in this thread seem to be militant practice test takers, but after you've done an exam like this before, I don't think it helps too much.

Right JamMasterJ?
I've been time pressured in exams before, but I always had time to address all the issues. I know the stuff well enough that I only need to reference my outline to remember a case name here and there, so I was wondering if writing answers mechanically would save more time or not having to ever look at my outline.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”