OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nelson

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 am

stillwater wrote:I am thinking about moving to Mexico, leaving the law behind.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:44 am

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54983974/Cont ... -Flowchart

Finding this helpful just as a one page catch all for contracts. I copped a scribd subscription for a month last semester in order to get a bunch of shit for Torts and Conlaw and just downloaded a bunch of Ks, Property and Civ pro stuff while I had it since I figured I'd need it. If anyone wants the copy of this flowchart as well as the other one up there (more detailed, but also multiple pages, which I try to avoid) I Can give you that, as well as some of the Con Law stuff up there. I've also got some one page or 5 page attack outlines for conlaw that can serve as a quick checklist to make sure you're analyzing the issues properly. If anyone wants / needs just shoot me a pm or something and we can get an email chain going. I also made some flowcharts for Crim that I found helpful (although making them was more informative than actually using them) that I can share.

I'd appreciate any other materials (particularly attack outlines / checklists, I'm strong in substantive law but tend to forget to include minor forks from precedent or tend to disregard some things as dispositive.) Wanna make sure I refrain from doing that by providing full analysis (thankfully no word limits this semester) and covering everything since I can type fast enough to get everything in.

Also think I'm gonna stop going to class so often soon. I think I may just finish reading for the year and keep taking exams.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 am

hyakku wrote: Also think I'm gonna stop going to class so often soon.

ballsy. no participation points?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 am

mephistopheles wrote:

the one dude in my section last semester who took the last 2 weeks off to "grind" was the one of the two kids in my section who dropped out after grades came back. ballsy gamble

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 am

My attendance in Crim is terrible. Probably batting .666. Im just not on the guys wave length and get very little out of class. And he is sooo slow. We JUST finished rape and arent going to get to at least 200 pages on the sylibus. Its also a big 2 section lecture, and he has no idea who I am.

So Im gambling OLing Kadish + incorporating other good Kadish OLs + using Dressler + PTPTPTPT will be enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 am

Nova wrote:My attendance in Crim is terrible. Probably batting .666. Im just not on the guys wave length and get very little out of class. And he is sooo slow. We JUST finished rape and arent going to get to at least 200 pages on the sylibus. Its also a big 2 section lecture, and he has no idea who I am.

So Im gambling OLing Kadish + incorporating other good Kadish OLs + using Dressler + PTPTPTPT will be enough.
I wouldn't outline Kadish. I'd just outline Dressler. Kadish blows.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:19 am

Nova wrote:My attendance in Crim is terrible. Probably batting .666. Im just not on the guys wave length and get very little out of class. And he is sooo slow. We JUST finished rape and arent going to get to at least 200 pages on the sylibus. Its also a big 2 section lecture, and he has no idea who I am.

I feel the same way... I don't pay any attention in Crim, so I don't even know why I go. Kadish fucking blows.... I'm going through Dressler, and I feel like my notes on that are completely supplanting my Kadish prelim OL.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 am

stillwater wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

the one dude in my section last semester who took the last 2 weeks off to "grind" was the one of the two kids in my section who dropped out after grades came back. ballsy gamble
Wouldn't stop going entirely, but a lot of my teachers have been falling behind covering some things some people are struggling with (myself included). On the days that they're going over material that I've got down I think I'm going to work on stuff that I need to master, and on the days they're gonna re-cover the stuff I'm shaky on I'm trying to make it. Plus, I make it a point to keep good relationships with classmates and text them whenever they're absent and a professor mentions something that's going to be on an exam or has been in the past, so thankfully people are usually willing to reciprocate.

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 am

stillwater wrote:

I wouldn't outline Kadish. I'd just outline Dressler. Kadish blows.
It depends. Some of the sections in Kadish are actually clearer than Dressler. My prof is notoriously a tough grader so I'd much rather outline from our actual reading than a supplement. There are so many fucking note cases in Kadish that I think it's a risk to just outline from Dressler.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:09 pm

stillwater wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

There were a few people in my section who didn't really go to class all semester (and then a few who went, but didn't pay attention at all so it was basically like they weren't going), and AFAIK they mostly did good/great (because they read supplements/hornbooks/etc. all semester). Then there were a few who basically stopped going the last 2-3 weeks in order to have more time to outline and study and take practice tests. Not sure any of them did great, but none did THAT poorly (but obviously this is all hearsay and educated guesses). Anyway, I think TCR is that if you're not going to go to class, make sure you're using supplements and hornbooks and not just using it as more free time to outline your notes and study them.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
Count me in

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm

SportsFan wrote: Anyway, I think TCR is that if you're not going to go to class, make sure you're using supplements and hornbooks and not just using it as more free time to outline your notes and study them.

If attendance wasn't recorded, I would never go to class. As wonderful as the idealistic members of my class would make the socratic experience out to be, I'd rather be a pragmatist. I'm here to get good grades. Procedural bullshit from the casebook doesn't matter.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 pm

gaud wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Count me in

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Where can I find some quality rape hypotheticals?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Geaux12 wrote: If attendance wasn't recorded
Is that a thing at some schools? That's just throwing salt in the wound.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Erwin Chemerinsky is my lord and savior.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Nelson wrote:
Geaux12 wrote: If attendance wasn't recorded
Is that a thing at some schools? That's just throwing salt in the wound.
I *think* the ABA has an attendance requirement that schools technically have to follow, but none really do besides TTT's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Does anyone have any idea of how to construct an attack outline for a professor who is similar to cherminsky? I have 70 percent pre-1990 cases in my 45 page monstrocity. What actually do you use in a fact pattern? No one is arguing with Carter Coal today.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:00 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Does anyone have any idea of how to construct an attack outline for a professor who is similar to cherminsky? I have 70 percent pre-1990 cases in my 45 page monstrocity. What actually do you use in a fact pattern? No one is arguing with Carter Coal today.

45 pages is short as fuck.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:Does anyone have any idea of how to construct an attack outline for a professor who is similar to cherminsky? I have 70 percent pre-1990 cases in my 45 page monstrocity. What actually do you use in a fact pattern? No one is arguing with Carter Coal today.

Am I in trouble if I see the whole class as just 4 rules that have been reinterpreted a bunch of times? I feel like it should be 10-15.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

Am I in trouble if I see the whole class as just 4 rules that have been reinterpreted a bunch of times? I feel like it should be 10-15.

depends on your subject matter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

depends on your subject matter.
Con Law is a bunch of disingenuously applied vague tests or similarly a bunch of built up frameworks that are promptly ignored to achieve the politically expedient result. Lots of love con law, stillwater.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 pm

mephistopheles wrote:

I think con law outlines are twice as long as they need to be because outlines that get passed down tend to come from ridiculous gunners who fully summarize the reasoning of Lochner era holdings. It seems like most sections here are only covering McCulloch/Marbury, war powers, commerce clause, tax & spend, due process, and equal protection. That's really not very much BLL to learn. I'm going to make a really short attack outline for each and focus on hypos after that.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Yeah but how did you apply it?

I understand the tests, and how they change each era....

But say you saw "Congress passes a law that says that you can only dump once per day to limit the water being used" - would you go back pre-1937 with that commerce clause analysis too, or would you just do today's justices?

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Yeah but how did you apply it?

I understand the tests, and how they change each era....

But say you saw "Congress passes a law that says that you can only dump once per day to limit the water being used" - would you go back pre-1937 with that commerce clause analysis too, or would you just do today's justices?
Start with most recent then say "however, if justices decide to go back and depend on ___________ doctrine, then_________"

Most con law decisions are still good law that are just ignored/ reasoned around without specifically over turning. Leaves lots of room to rack up points with a decently thought out word dump.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”