OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swimmer11

Bronze

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by swimmer11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Gotta tell you bros, making these attack outlines is challenging.

I am planning on bringing my master outline, my attack outline, and a one page quick checklist to each of my open book exams. Credited?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 pm

For all y'all that have multiple days in between exams, count your lucky stars. I have 4 exams, with only one day in between each. None of them are open book. The concept of open book never even entered the equation.

I'm pretty much writing off my K's grade and my LRW grade this semester as I tanked on the memo. I've moved from one state to another state and really miss my old life. My K's prof is just ridiculously hard and our final is worth 40%, all essay. He's given us 3 MC tests throughout the semester so far. I heard stories about him before even taking his class.

I feel like Torts and Property is manageable but we also take all of the classes except for one, for a full year. Therefore, some of the stuff you're referring to hasn't been discussed.

My profs also don't have past exams to look at, but they've given us model answers. At least 3/4 of them did. I bombed my Criminal Law midterm, and did fine in Property/Torts. I am trying to convince myself that I love these and am really amping up my studies now. Others are going home over Thanksgiving break, but my parents are just coming down for a day and then I'm back in it so I hope that gives me a bit of an edge.

Like I said, count yourself lucky if you have days in between your exams. I'm doing my best to just try to make it through this semester. I'm definitely going to do A LOT better second semester as I know where I faulted.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:26 pm

BearsGrl wrote:For all y'all that have multiple days in between exams, count your lucky stars. I have 4 exams, with only one day in between each. None of them are open book. The concept of open book never even entered the equation.

I'm pretty much writing off my K's grade and my LRW grade this semester as I tanked on the memo. I've moved from one state to another state and really miss my old life. My K's prof is just ridiculously hard and our final is worth 40%, all essay. He's given us 3 MC tests throughout the semester so far. I heard stories about him before even taking his class.

I feel like Torts and Property is manageable but we also take all of the classes except for one, for a full year. Therefore, some of the stuff you're referring to hasn't been discussed.

My profs also don't have past exams to look at, but they've given us model answers. At least 3/4 of them did. I bombed my Criminal Law midterm, and did fine in Property/Torts. I am trying to convince myself that I love these and am really amping up my studies now. Others are going home over Thanksgiving break, but my parents are just coming down for a day and then I'm back in it so I hope that gives me a bit of an edge.

Like I said, count yourself lucky if you have days in between your exams. I'm doing my best to just try to make it through this semester. I'm definitely going to do A LOT better second semester as I know where I faulted.
LOL

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Welcome back BearsGrl :mrgreen:

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Nova wrote:Welcome back BearsGrl :mrgreen:
Hi All. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
I thought you were a 1L (at least) last year.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:35 pm

How are you all going about preparing for Civ Pro? My outline right now (or at least the info I feel I need to have), 3/4 is FRCP (just straight up verbatim) and 1/4 is made up of cases/some other notes.

How well do we need to know the rules? Memorize? Know the basics and then know where to look for clarification? I am stressing.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
I thought you were a 1L (at least) last year.
Nopers. I was a 0L who was merely mad at people who couldn't understand that I could see the future dominance of a school like UC-Irvine. I went to grad. school out in CA so I was a bit perturbed at people from the Midwest talking about CA like they knew what was going on. I was a transplant to the area, from the Midwest, and things are just different when you actually live there.

I wish everyone the best though. :)

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm

minnbills wrote:How are you all going about preparing for Civ Pro? My outline right now (or at least the info I feel I need to have), 3/4 is FRCP (just straight up verbatim) and 1/4 is made up of cases/some other notes.

How well do we need to know the rules? Memorize? Know the basics and then know where to look for clarification? I am stressing.
My outline is mostly FRCP as well. I have a few notes about ADR (my prof loves it) and then the basic principles for PJ, Erie, etc. with the case names next to it (my prof loves direct references)

For my midterm I pretty much knew general idea and got away with it for the most, I had to double-check a couple of times though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:41 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I wish everyone the best though. :)
Likewise!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Does anyone go to a school that hasn't taken a midterm yet? The finals seem pretty straight forward. If I don't feel confident in a subject, it's merely because I don't like the subject so I'm trying to convince myself to be engaged in it. Take Crim. Law. I don't want to be a prosecutor so it's harder to get excited about it. Contracts is just hard because my prof. is hard. Seriously, who gives 4 exams?

I obviously don't go to a top school. I won't say which one, but my K's prof. was legit at Yale and is just really, really specific about how he wants his exams structured.

Looking to go really crazy and intense on the studying these next few weeks. Not to the point of not sleeping, but time to get serious and hunker down. I avoid the library at all costs though. I don't want people and their drama to be interrupting me.

I wish everyone nothing but success. :)
Last edited by BearsGrl on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:44 pm

gaud wrote:
minnbills wrote:How are you all going about preparing for Civ Pro? My outline right now (or at least the info I feel I need to have), 3/4 is FRCP (just straight up verbatim) and 1/4 is made up of cases/some other notes.

My outline is mostly FRCP as well. I have a few notes about ADR (my prof loves it) and then the basic principles for PJ, Erie, etc. with the case names next to it (my prof loves direct references)

For my midterm I pretty much knew general idea and got away with it for the most, I had to double-check a couple of times though
I don't take Crim. Pro. until next semester. How is it?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm

gaud wrote:

My Civ Pro outline is basically the FRCP but put into my own words (and my professors). Here's a quick example of what I mean (copied straight from my outline... don't tell me if I'm wrong, i don't want to know :lol: ). Basically my strategy isn't to learn ALL the rules or anything, but to know the parts that actually matter (according to my own judgment from what we've learned in class and whatnot), and if some obscure part I don't know comes up on the exam, I'll just look at the rulebook.

Code: Select all

III. Defenses, Objections, and Counterclaims
  A. Rule 12 Motions and Timing
    1. Defense usually responds to π complaint by filing answer per 12a or 12b motion to dismiss
      a) Defense must answer or make a Rule 12 motion within 21 days of service of process (12a), or else π can get Rule 55 default judgment
        (1) 12e motion for more definitive statement must be made BEFORE filing responsive pleading, and stops the clock
        (2) Suing US Government gives 60 days (as does 4d waived service)
        (3) Motion stops clock but if denied, get 14 days to answer
    2. Rule 12b Defenses must be stated in the answer or 2-5 are waived (1 can always be raised, even by court); also have to be made together at the 
       same time if you’re raising more than one (can amend within 21 days to include one of these defenses)

Maximized

New

Post by Maximized » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 pm

I'll be starting my Civ.Pro. outline in a couple of days, but I assume it'll be much like yours: mostly F.R.C.P., a few of the bigger cases (Erie, Twiqbal, etc.) and a few provisions of 28 U.S.C. I have an open-book exam, half MC and half essay, so my goal is to memorize the rules and flowcharts for some of the tougher issues (Erie, Rule 38, etc.). Good luck!!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Maximized wrote:

I'll be starting my Civ.Pro. outline in a couple of days, but I assume it'll be much like yours: mostly F.R.C.P., a few of the bigger cases (Erie, Twiqbal, etc.) and a few provisions of 28 U.S.C. I have an open-book exam, half MC and half essay, so my goal is to memorize the rules and flowcharts for some of the tougher issues (Erie, Rule 38, etc.). Good luck!!
Thanks for the responses guys, I am pretty much doing what you all are doing. Good luck to you all!!! (top 25% or bust!!)

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Do people have open book exams because they're only taking the class over one semester? Why is there so much open-book examness going on?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Maximized

New

Post by Maximized » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Do people have open book exams because they're only taking the class over one semester? Why is there so much open-book examness going on?
My guess is to make it more about application of law to fact than simple memory of the law. If it's open book, you probably won't get many points for a pre-answered paragraph, or at the very least, you'll likely get more points for an explanation of the law and an application to the hypo. In short, my opinion is that open-book exams are harder.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Maximized wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Do people have open book exams because they're only taking the class over one semester? Why is there so much open-book examness going on?
My guess is to make it more about application of law to fact than simple memory of the law. If it's open book, you probably won't get many points for a pre-answered paragraph, or at the very least, you'll likely get more points for an explanation of the law and an application to the hypo. In short, my opinion is that open-book exams are harder.
what he said

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Maximized wrote:
Yeah - I definitely think that open book exams are more tough, but I just didn't know that so many of them were given. Thankfully, three of my profs have given their answers to practice exams so I can review that. They seem pretty straight-forward or at least doable. Now it's just a matter of memorization/application.

I have one prof. that apparently will have this 2-3 page hypo and will have 25-30 issues and it should normally take you 10 hours to work on it and you just pray that you don't cramp up during the 3 hours.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:55 pm

For civ pro, I am doing E&Es and Crunchtime short-answers right now and filling in the hole in my knowledge and putting it directly in my outline. It's pretty amazing what you miss and how much you can fill in by doing this

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 am

Dude my effing civ pro outline is sitting at 60 pages and we still have a ways to go... fml Idid it wrong :(

nvm

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:

Dude my effing civ pro outline is sitting at 60 pages and we still have a ways to go... fml Idid it wrong :(

nvm
If it makes you feel any better, mine is like 25 (though with 0.5" margins on the left and right instead of 1") and I feel like I did it wrong too. :?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 am

SportsFan wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:

nvm
If it makes you feel any better, mine is like 25 (though with 0.5" margins on the left and right instead of 1") and I feel like I did it wrong too. :?
haha that makes it worse! Mine is more than 2x as long (using .5 margins as well)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”