Is studying abroad practical?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kramer

Is studying abroad practical?

Postby Kramer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm currently a 1L at a T10 that has a variety of study abroad and externship abroad opportunities. Having never studied abroad in college, I am, of course, very intrigued by these programs but can't help but wonder if abroad programs are of any special benefit in law school. Does having one of these programs or externships on your resume provide any sort of boost? Are they of any value to students who are not necessarily interested in pursuing some sort of international career after law school? Would my time be better spent staying home at school and taking courses that would more closely relate to the practice area in which I'm interested?

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Re: Is studying abroad practical?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:17 pm

Based on the scant information shared in your post, the obvious answer is no. Need more specific information about the programs that you're considering; for example, a program in Spain taught in Spanish could enhance your chances for placement in legal positions needing bilingual lawyers & paralegals.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:58 pm

Until you've secured an SA at OCI, you shouldn't think about study abroad. If you need to look for a job, you don't want to be halfway across the world. After your SA turns into an offer, feel free to look into it - your job hunt is over and you may as well enjoy the rest if your time in lawl school

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 pm

This is tough to answer without knowing what you want to do. If you are going to a firm and have an offer from your 2L summer, you can basically do whatever you want your 3L year. During 2L year don't even think about it for fall semester.

As for added value, for the average person it's practically nothing. There are specific situations in which it might help, but for the most part, no.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Could you do a winter break one or a short summer one? There are ones that are only 3-4 weeks long in Dec. or the summer that you could work around your summer work.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm

I've got a 2L SA at a midlaw firm with a 99.9% offer rate. Pretty much just need to have a pulse and be able to hold a conversation for an offer, or so I'm told. I'd like to go abroad 2013 fall semester, but the commitment to do so needs to be made before my 2L SA even starts.

Am I OK going abroad, or should I worry about being the .01% no-offffffffer. For what it's worth, I have a pulse and am a decent conversationalist.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:10 pm

dingbat wrote:Until you've secured an SA at OCI, you shouldn't think about study abroad. If you need to look for a job, you don't want to be halfway across the world. After your SA turns into an offer, feel free to look into it - your job hunt is over and you may as well enjoy the rest if your time in lawl school

This.

I know a number of people who studied abroad and the only one who said it was a good idea was one who had post-grad job lined up. The rest are all regretting it right now.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:20 pm

If you already have an offer, go for it. You're not going to have this chance for a very long time.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Ask your firm if they would have a problem with it before you commit. It costs extra money, paying tuition when you wouldn't otherwise, but there are some fun winter break programs you could consider. You wouldn't have to miss a summer or a semester for that.

omg clay aiken !

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Kramer wrote:I'm currently a 1L at a T10 that has a variety of study abroad and externship abroad opportunities. Having never studied abroad in college, I am, of course, very intrigued by these programs but can't help but wonder if abroad programs are of any special benefit in law school. Does having one of these programs or externships on your resume provide any sort of boost? Are they of any value to students who are not necessarily interested in pursuing some sort of international career after law school? Would my time be better spent staying home at school and taking courses that would more closely relate to the practice area in which I'm interested?

Thanks!

FWIW, I worked for a criminal barister in London during my 1l summer. It was an expensive summer but I had a great time, learned a lot, and it proved to be a good conversation starter during 2l summer interviews (and during 3l year, in a clerkship interview with a federal judge who i'm currently clerking for).

BrianTrejo

Postby BrianTrejo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 am

Kramer wrote:I'm currently a 1L at a T10 that has a variety of study abroad and externship abroad opportunities. Having never studied abroad in college, I am, of course, very intrigued by these programs but can't help but wonder if abroad programs are of any special benefit in law school. Does having one of these programs or externships on your resume provide any sort of boost? Are they of any value to students who are not necessarily interested in pursuing some sort of international career after law school? Would my time be better spent staying home at school and taking courses that would more closely relate to the practice area in which I'm interested?

Thanks!

I've been reading this forum for a long time, so I've decided to register and reply to you because I've studied Law in Germany.

I got my Master's Degree there, and it is really worth it. The kind of education you get there can't be compared to any university in the world. I currently work for a really good company with more than a decent salary, and that's not really common in today's economy.

If you have the money, do consider studying abroad. Especially in Germany!

Also you can try and get a scholarship, which is really the best thing to do if you want your student life to be much easier. I recommend https://daad.org/ and http://www.mawista.com/en/study-in-germany/ for updates and scholarship offers.

You can also work and study at the same time, if you can't get a good scholarship, the German legislation doesn't forbid you from working on a student visa. But I don't know if you can keep up doing both.

I just thought I'd give my 2 cents in this topic.

Good Luck!

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:39 am

dingbat wrote:Until you've secured an SA at OCI, you shouldn't think about study abroad. If you need to look for a job, you don't want to be halfway across the world. After your SA turns into an offer, feel free to look into it - your job hunt is over and you may as well enjoy the rest if your time in lawl school

this. I'm an abroad 3L right now. OP and others interested can PM me.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:45 am

wuduhel wrote:I've got a 2L SA at a midlaw firm with a 99.9% offer rate. Pretty much just need to have a pulse and be able to hold a conversation for an offer, or so I'm told. I'd like to go abroad 2013 fall semester, but the commitment to do so needs to be made before my 2L SA even starts.

Am I OK going abroad, or should I worry about being the .01% no-offffffffer. For what it's worth, I have a pulse and am a decent conversationalist.

Last year, I applied and registered for my abroad program, and paid the deposit (it was really small). However, i stayed enrolled in my home school classes and waited to pull the trigger until I got an offer from my firm. Although setting everything up to go abroad was really last minute and stressful this way, it worked out and I'm happy I did it.

Whats the "commitment" you have to make to go abroad? I fortunately didn't have to commit anything other than a couple hundred bucks.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:44 am

BrianTrejo wrote:I've been reading this forum for a long time, so I've decided to register and reply to you because I've studied Law in Germany.

I got my Master's Degree there, and it is really worth it. The kind of education you get there can't be compared to any university in the world. I currently work for a really good company with more than a decent salary, and that's not really common in today's economy.

If you have the money, do consider studying abroad. Especially in Germany!

Also you can try and get a scholarship, which is really the best thing to do if you want your student life to be much easier. I recommend https://daad.org/ and http://www.mawista.com/en/study-in-germany/ for updates and scholarship offers.

You can also work and study at the same time, if you can't get a good scholarship, the German legislation doesn't forbid you from working on a student visa. But I don't know if you can keep up doing both.

I just thought I'd give my 2 cents in this topic.

Good Luck!

how is the education you get there incomparable to the rest of the world? Is it a better education than HYS?
Which school in Germany? Are you saying [u[any[/u] school there is better than every school here?
Where did you go to school (here)?
What kind of job do you have? Is it a law job? Is it a law firm? is it in Germany?
How did you get that job?

Basically, I question A) how good your outcome is; and B) whether that's a typical, or even reasonable, outcome

I'd ordinarily be the first person to advocate study abroad, but not for a law school student (until after a job has been secured); OP is at a T10, which means a good outcome can reasonably be expected, but is not automatically conferred and an ill-timed study abroad program can ruin OP's chances

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”