Kaplan v. Barbri July 2013 CA BAR

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AntiHuman

Kaplan v. Barbri July 2013 CA BAR

Postby AntiHuman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 pm

1. CALIFORNIA. Really bad law school grades/rank..bottom 15 percent ish. Come from a good undergrad and law school. Bad test taker.

For me...Barbri=3600 dollars
Kaplan=2700 dollars

Money isn't a huge issue. I need the best course possible.

Apparently November 1st is the deadline to "lock in" these tuition rates...is this BS? The rates above are apparently only valid till November 1st. Can someone comment on this? Which course should I take?

2. How early should I start studying for the BAR if I am a bad test taker and I guess didn't really grasp the material based on my grades? Start studying February of my 3L year? I need to go over substantive material...

tstyler98

Re: Kaplan v. Barbri July 2013 CA BAR

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 am

AntiHuman wrote:1. CALIFORNIA. Really bad law school grades/rank..bottom 15 percent ish. Come from a good undergrad and law school. Bad test taker.

For me...Barbri=3600 dollars
Kaplan=2700 dollars

Money isn't a huge issue. I need the best course possible.

Apparently November 1st is the deadline to "lock in" these tuition rates...is this BS? The rates above are apparently only valid till November 1st. Can someone comment on this? Which course should I take?

2. How early should I start studying for the BAR if I am a bad test taker and I guess didn't really grasp the material based on my grades? Start studying February of my 3L year? I need to go over substantive material...

Regarding #1, I know the rates will go up in November, but they usually run specials that help bring the costs down. I would check out both Barbri and Kaplan's websites for the MPRE. I know the Kaplan website for the MPRE is pretty spot on for what it will look like for the Bar review, other than only having minimal material and only focusing on multiple choice (not essays). Also, if both Kaplan and Barbri table at your school, look through the Bar materials they have on display. You might find that one will fit your study needs better than the other.

As for #2, I'm not really sure as I'm a 3L. But, if you have time, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to review the material. At the worst, it'll just help to refresh your memory before the actual course starts. And if money isn't an issue, you could also maybe hire a tutor.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”