Diversity Jurisdiction Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RaleighStClair

Diversity Jurisdiction Question

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 pm

In his infinite wisdom, my prof decided not to teach us jurisdiction until 2/3 of the way through the semester, so here I am - confused. If someone could explain to me whether diversity jurisdiction exists in this hypothetical situation, and why, I would be way appreciative.

My professor told us that there is DJ, but I want to say that there is not:

A, a corporation that is incorporated in Oregon and has its principal place of business in New Jersey, sues B, a corporation that is incorporated in Oregon and has its principal place of business in South Carolina, for $100,000 in federal court.

Jimbo_Jones

Re: Diversity Jurisdiction Question

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Either u got your facts wrong or your prof is a dum dum

28 USC §1332 - If any plaintiffs citizenship = any defendants citizenship then no DJ

Corporations have dual citizenship - one state where they are incorporated and one state where they have their principal place of business.

Both corps in dis hypo have incorp in Oregon therefore no DJ

RaleighStClair

Re: Diversity Jurisdiction Question

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 pm

THANK YOU. That's what I thought. I know I'm no expert, but my prof seems to be wrong about a ton of stuff so far. This is his first time teaching civ pro.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”