mid term results-adjustments for finals to get top 5%

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dirtyjesus

mid term results-adjustments for finals to get top 5%

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:11 pm

My goal is top 5% for maximum transfer power I talked to torts and contracts profs today for feedback and I got max points on essay and generally they say my writing was excellent. Where my points came off was MC. I have appts. with the other 2 profs for next week. But I suspect the same thing.
These were weighted 33-50% MC. I know the finals will be weighted more on the essays. Any advice on what I should do to help crack top 5% when finals are over. Top 5% here is 3.73

Contract and civpro out of 100--property and torts out of 15
contracts----me=87.5------median=57.5--------low=24----------high=100----------75%ile=73
civpro-------me=64--------median=46.7--------low=20----------high=72-----------75%ile=58
property-----me=14--------median=8.7---------low=4-----------high=14-----------75%ile=11
torts=-------me=13--------median=10----------low=4-----------high=13.5---------75%ile=12

1st memo in LRW=18/25 tied for highest grade

jkpolk

Re: mid term results-adjustments for finals to get top 5%

Postby jkpolk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:12 pm

if you cannot figure this out on your own you certainly will not be top 5%

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Op, you sound absolutely insufferable. HTH.

dirtyjesus

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 pm

polkij333 wrote:if you cannot figure this out on your own you certainly will not be top 5%

Get the dick out of your ass. I just want to see what 2Ls and 3Ls think I need to improve and how.

dirtyjesus

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

TheZoid wrote:Op, you sound absolutely insufferable. HTH.

Considering you don't know me, what I had to go through to even be in law school, or know my motivation for wanting to be the best and be in the top 5% with white boys like you that use words like insufferable, I don't see how you can say that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Is this the thread where we humblebrag about how awesome we are at law school?

dirtyjesus

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:42 pm

bk1 wrote:Is this the thread where we humblebrag about how awesome we are at law school?

not bragging, I agree I beat the median but for my purposes it's not good enough. All I wanted was for some upperclassmen that did well to let me know what I can do better at because although I may have done good now. Everyone will be more prepared for finals than midterms and I don't want to slip up and get edged out.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:

Considering you don't know me, what I had to go through to even be in law school, or know my motivation for wanting to be the best and be in the top 5% with white boys like you that use words like insufferable, I don't see how you can say that.

I'm glad resorting to racism made you feel better about my comment. Your responses reaffirm your douchebaggery (like that fancy language?).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 pm

TheZoid wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:

I'm glad resorting to racism made you feel better about my comment. Your responses reaffirm your douchebaggery (like that fancy language?).

aren't you black?
I'm also fairly certain bk1 ain't white

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:not bragging, I agree I beat the median but for my purposes it's not good enough. All I wanted was for some upperclassmen that did well to let me know what I can do better at because although I may have done good now. Everyone will be more prepared for finals than midterms and I don't want to slip up and get edged out.

Because upperclassmen can totally tell you how to improve without knowing what caused you to miss points.

dirtyjesus

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:not bragging, I agree I beat the median but for my purposes it's not good enough. All I wanted was for some upperclassmen that did well to let me know what I can do better at because although I may have done good now. Everyone will be more prepared for finals than midterms and I don't want to slip up and get edged out.

Because upperclassmen can totally tell you how to improve without knowing what caused you to miss points.

I said the multiple choice is where I missed alot, the essays didn't have any points off.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I said the multiple choice is where I missed alot, the essays didn't have any points off.

how is this even possible?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

You could have just asked, "What's the best way to improve my MC score on a final for civ pro, property, torts, contracts?"

Seeing your grades isn't necessary. Buy Lexis Q&A for each course.

dirtyjesus

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 pm

dingbat wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:
bk1 wrote:

when there are x amount of points available and you get x amount of points

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Dont go to a law school with the intention of transferring.

There is no URM boost for transfers FYI

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:53 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:
bk1 wrote:Is this the thread where we humblebrag about how awesome we are at law school?

not bragging, I agree I beat the median but for my purposes it's not good enough. All I wanted was for some upperclassmen that did well to let me know what I can do better at because although I may have done good now. Everyone will be more prepared for finals than midterms and I don't want to slip up and get edged out.

Not gonna jump on you cuz its already happening quite a bit... but you are coming across as a bit nasty ITT.

MC questions should be tackled like essays... Read the problem entirely before writing (AKA, do not start gazing at the options before you have read the entire problem). Buy Lexis Q&As, the "Acing" series, and look at the Barbri 1L stuff. MC questions in law school are, imo, objectively more difficult than an essay b/c you can't just start writing shit down and hope the prof is persuaded.

More to the point, OP, is to not let any gains go to your head at this point... If you rest on your present strengths in writing essays, you might freak out when you realize the people who did below median on midterms put in a ton of prep and raise the median significantly for the final.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:
dingbat wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote: I said the multiple choice is where I missed alot, the essays didn't have any points off.

I keep reading about how professors will write a question with, say, 200 points total, and an A student gets maybe 60. Admittedly, this is at good schools, not TTTs, but I thought it was practically impossible to get all points on, say, an issue spotter.

Anyone else care to chime in on this?

dirtyjesus

Postby dirtyjesus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Gorki wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:

Not gonna jump on you cuz its already happening quite a bit... but you are coming across as a bit nasty ITT.

MC questions should be tackled like essays... Read the problem entirely before writing (AKA, do not start gazing at the options before you have read the entire problem). Buy Lexis Q&As, the "Acing" series, and look at the Barbri 1L stuff. MC questions in law school are, imo, objectively more difficult than an essay b/c you can't just start writing shit down and hope the prof is persuaded.

is to not let any gains go to your head at this point... If you rest on your present strengths in writing essays, you might freak out when you realize the people who did below median on midterms put in a ton of prep and raise the median significantly for the final.

this is what I am worrying about.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:I said the multiple choice is where I missed alot, the essays didn't have any points off.

Yes, but why? It's not clear to anybody ITT why you are missing MC questions and we can't possibly know without looking at your test. The generic answer to "I'm bad at MC" is to practice MC.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:07 pm

dingbat wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:

aren't you black?
I'm also fairly certain bk1 ain't white

Nah I'm a white dude, but still a classless response by the OP. also, for those recommending barbri and lexis q&a, is that for mc specifically or just good in general?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:12 pm

^I didn't actually think you were black (didn't have a clue), just wanted to make a point

kingofdara

Postby kingofdara » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:24 am

dingbat wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:
dingbat wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote: I said the multiple choice is where I missed alot, the essays didn't have any points off.

I keep reading about how professors will write a question with, say, 200 points total, and an A student gets maybe 60. Admittedly, this is at good schools, not TTTs, but I thought it was practically impossible to get all points on, say, an issue spotter.

I believe you're correct. My professors said the highest grade never came close to a perfect score & if it did, the professor wrote a bad exam.

kingofdara

Postby kingofdara » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:25 am

Your professors actually gave you all of this grading information about highs and lows & quartiles? Hard to believe professors are that organized. I certainly never had this sort of information available, not even for finals.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 am

dingbat wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:
dingbat wrote:

whatisthisidonteven..... how can you get a good curve on an essay if getting a perfect score is relatively attainable. 3L, and i've never heard of this perfect score thing either. I've booked a few classes and the best of these was about 50% of the points.

Still not sure what OP is requesting..... practice MC questions. maybe do CALI lessons? do Q&A's. isn't this obvious?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 am

so...you're not black....? i dont understand why that matters

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”