Dropout after 1st Semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
imminentD

Dropout after 1st Semester

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Decided it was better to make an alt for this. I currently attend a T50 strong regional school. I have really been thinking about dropping out after 1L first semester regardless of grades. I just don't feel like grinding through 3 years just to grind 60/80 hr weeks to make just 40K. I've always been the guy to study just before finals and come out with an A sometimes B's and it's worked out so far. However, LS is a different story and I just don't have the motivation to do the work associated with it, mostly because I find it terribly boring. If I stay the full 3 years I'll walk out with about 40k in debt, which I know isn't horrible, but I see it as mostly a waste of three years. If I got the degree, sure I would practice but idk for how long. Is it just the 1L atmosphere talking or am I not crazy in thinking dropping and getting a job back in my home area.

Ernert

Re: Dropout after 1st Semester

Postby Ernert » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Doesn't sound crazy at all.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm

What kind of job do you think you could get?

imminentD

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:What kind of job do you think you could get?

I figure something halfway decent. I graduated UG with an Econ major and worked in politics prior to LS. Don't want to go back that route, but I have something on the ol' resume.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 pm

know somebody for whom this worked out amazingly well.

imminentD

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 pm

c3pO4 wrote:know somebody for whom this worked out amazingly well.

Nice, I was hoping I wasn't only going to get 1L responses. Glad to hear your friend made it out alright.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Based on what you are saying, dropping out MIGHT be the right idea... But I would seriously talk to friends, fam, maybe even your school. 1L is very stressful, but at the same time if you just do not like the idea of practicing law then 2L (which is basically hustling to get a great summer job, journal, moot court) will be very hard for you to manage.

Have you ever met with a practicing attorney? I would suggest it, as law school is not like practice at all and at the very least meeting with a real professional will either help change your mind or help you vindicate your decision.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 pm

law school is not the same as actual legal work. However, if you know deep down that its not for you- then yes, drop out. But if you are sure that you are going to drop out, why take finals? IF you decide to go into another program, you will have to get a transcript of your grades, so if they are mediocre, then it may be interpreted as you didnt like it, you just werent a top student, so you left. But if you dont stick for the grades- then you dont have to worry about that. Or if you decide to utilize your current degree- then you should be fine.

Before you go- try to figure out what exactly it is that makes you want to drop. Sleep on it for a few days- then go with it. ( if you allready did this- then disregard this paragraph),

Best of luck!

imminentD

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Gorki wrote:Based on what you are saying, dropping out MIGHT be the right idea... But I would seriously talk to friends, fam, maybe even your school. 1L is very stressful, but at the same time if you just do not like the idea of practicing law then 2L (which is basically hustling to get a great summer job, journal, moot court) will be very hard for you to manage.

Have you ever met with a practicing attorney? I would suggest it, as law school is not like practice at all and at the very least meeting with a real professional will either help change your mind or help you vindicate your decision.

Yeah I talked to a couple practicing guys while I was still applying. One said absolutely don't do it and the other two said they enjoyed the law, but know plenty of people who don't. So whatever that's worth. The biggest headwind that I receive from friends/fam is "LS is teh golden ticketz!" mantra. So no point in really discussing with them any further. It's also the reason I posted here :roll:

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

imminentD wrote:
Gorki wrote:Based on what you are saying, dropping out MIGHT be the right idea... But I would seriously talk to friends, fam, maybe even your school. 1L is very stressful, but at the same time if you just do not like the idea of practicing law then 2L (which is basically hustling to get a great summer job, journal, moot court) will be very hard for you to manage.

Yeah I talked to a couple practicing guys while I was still applying. One said absolutely don't do it and the other two said they enjoyed the law, but know plenty of people who don't. So whatever that's worth. The biggest headwind that I receive from friends/fam is "LS is teh golden ticketz!" mantra. So no point in really discussing with them any further. It's also the reason I posted here :roll:

Understandable. If you are sure this is not your thing I would really drop out before finals. Taking finals and then dropping out will only hurt. Lets say you do terrible or something, that transcript might haunt you in future job interviews. Say you drop out then get top of class, whilst hustling away back home trying to find any job... Either way, it will hurt.

EDIT: To add to it, finals are terrible and are most of the reason law school seems like a giant flame... That in itself should steer you away from taking them with no intention of continuing.

imminentD

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

northwood wrote:law school is not the same as actual legal work. However, if you know deep down that its not for you- then yes, drop out. But if you are sure that you are going to drop out, why take finals? IF you decide to go into another program, you will have to get a transcript of your grades, so if they are mediocre, then it may be interpreted as you didnt like it, you just werent a top student, so you left. But if you dont stick for the grades- then you dont have to worry about that. Or if you decide to utilize your current degree- then you should be fine.

Before you go- try to figure out what exactly it is that makes you want to drop. Sleep on it for a few days- then go with it. ( if you allready did this- then disregard this paragraph),

Best of luck!

This is the hardest part for me. I have no idea what practicing law is actually like. The only thing I can imagine it being like is kindoflike legal writing analysis coupled with reading to stay up to date and MAYBE meeting with clients and making gameplans. And that is my optimistic outlook on what it's like. How accurate is that?

Side note: when working in politics, I was occasionally exposed to issues that were directly related to the gov making legal maneuvers (casework stuff) I found it interesting but I'm not sure how much that translates into practice.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:58 pm

what do you want to do? do you need to get more schooling? If you do- then i would focus on getting appliations ready for that endeavor and utilizing the year off to work and enjoy life ( and drop before you take a LS final).

Could this be burnout? Have you taken a few days off to see if that could be a possible cause? If you spent 12+ hours reading and the like, or work 7 days a week you may be mentally tired and need a breather.

Seems like you have started to figure out what it is thats bugging you and what you need to do. Even though you dont have a concrete decision yet- you are starting to figure the answer.

Law school is one stressful, hellish time. IT can play with your psyche and emotions like no other ( and its perfectly normal to contemplate leaving ls and doing something else).

imminentD

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Gorki wrote:
imminentD wrote:

Understandable. If you are sure this is not your thing I would really drop out before finals. Taking finals and then dropping out will only hurt. Lets say you do terrible or something, that transcript might haunt you in future job interviews. Say you drop out then get top of class, whilst hustling away back home trying to find any job... Either way, it will hurt.

EDIT: To add to it, finals are terrible and are most of the reason law school seems like a giant flame... That in itself should steer you away from taking them with no intention of continuing.
]

Just to add, I said regardless of grades because I'm not sure if it's me being a jackass and not batting up the task or I really just don't want to do this. If only grades came out before tuition was due...

imminentD

Postby imminentD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm

northwood wrote:what do you want to do? do you need to get more schooling? If you do- then i would focus on getting appliations ready for that endeavor and utilizing the year off to work and enjoy life ( and drop before you take a LS final).

Could this be burnout? Have you taken a few days off to see if that could be a possible cause? If you spent 12+ hours reading and the like, or work 7 days a week you may be mentally tired and need a breather.

Seems like you have started to figure out what it is thats bugging you and what you need to do. Even though you dont have a concrete decision yet- you are starting to figure the answer.

Law school is one stressful, hellish time. IT can play with your psyche and emotions like no other ( and its perfectly normal to contemplate leaving ls and doing something else).

Opposite of burn out. I've done most of the readings but only 70-80% of classes. I chill. ALOT. People are just excited/or motivated and I am not. Just gives me the indication grade time will not be stellar.

As for more schooling that seems like a crock to me. I think I just need to get back to employment and do my thing for awhile. LS isn't going anywhere.

Edit: Additionally, it's also the point that whether or not I like the law, or practicing, or whatever, there are no jerbs. --> Brought to you by TLS

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm

imminentD wrote:Opposite of burn out. I've done most of the readings but only 70-80% of classes. I chill. ALOT. People are just excited/or motivated and I am not. Just gives me the indication grade time will not be stellar.

As for more schooling that seems like a crock to me. I think I just need to get back to employment and do my thing for awhile. LS isn't going anywhere.

then- drop out. IF you drop out before grades cfome out, then you dont have grades to judge your application should you decide that you want to go law school later. utilize your time to work on resumes so that when you have to start repaying your loans, you have something lined up. good luck

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”