Relevance Analysis in Evidence

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wormhole

Relevance Analysis in Evidence

Postby wormhole » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm trying to figure out where/when to discuss relevance under 104(b), 401, and 403 in an analysis. I would think at the beginning of the analysis, but I think relevance also comes into play when you're going through the hearsay analysis. Is it right that even if you determine a statement is not hearsay, it could still be barred under 403 or 104(b) due to lack of relevance, etc.?

ph14

Re: Relevance Analysis in Evidence

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:00 pm

wormhole wrote:I'm trying to figure out where/when to discuss relevance under 104(b), 401, and 403 in an analysis. I would think at the beginning of the analysis, but I think relevance also comes into play when you're going through the hearsay analysis. Is it right that even if you determine a statement is not hearsay, it could still be barred under 403 or 104(b) due to lack of relevance, etc.?

Yes, I believe relevance is the basic FRE requirement to admit a piece of evidence. Everything must be relevant to be admitted, but the standard is incredibly lenient. It seems like a threshold question, so you could answer it first, quickly. I would do balancing after you determine relevance.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Everything must be relevant to be admitted, but relevance is low a bar that I wouldn't spend much time on the analysis.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Both of the above are credit; how a piece of evidence is relevant will dictate the remainder of your analysis.

Except that while relevance is often not a big issue, it can be, so don't breeze through it too quickly..

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”