dont think i can do all my outlines by this weekend

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sangr

dont think i can do all my outlines by this weekend

Postby sangr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:54 am

hey guys,

so for our schools this week marks about half way thru the semester.

my plan was to finish outlines for classes but i dont think i can do that (thoroughly) for one of my classes unless i go really fast
or sacrifice writing memo or something

how would u go about it?

should getting all the outlines for all my classes be top priority? (ill probably do at least 2-3 classes)
or is it not big a deal?

also, if i choose to forego one class, would it be smartest to skip doing outlines for a class thats focused on black letter law? since
theoretically that would be the best class to do my outline later?
Last edited by sangr on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11

Re: dont think i can do all my outlines by this weekend

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 am

Why do you want to get all of your outlines done by this weekend? I was thinking of getting the majority of my memo done so I could focus on this towards the end of Oct. Just curious as to why you and how you would go about getting all of your outlines done by this weekend, only being halfway done with your classes.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am

1. Find a 2L who did well
2. Get outlines
3. Do every practice problem you can get your hands on
4. Profit!

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am

wut? Do you mean finish outlines for the portion of class you have completed? Or entire outlines? Either way, slow down. Feel The Heat has it right.
Law school is just school. Keep up, seek clarification where you are confused, do practice tests, relax, don't burn out.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:50 pm

If you're hellbent on making your own outlines (like I was), stagger the weeks you do them. For example...

Week 7: update contracts
Week 8: update torts
Week 9: update criminal law
Week 10: update contracts
Etc...

This allows you to do periodic review and get your outlines up to date.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Damn, guess I better start making my outlines.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm a 2L in the top 20% at a T30.

If your memo is graded I wouldn't cut corners there. I wouldn't sacrifice thoroughness in reviewing your notes just so can meet a deadline that is somewhat arbitrary either.

I don't think you need to be 100% current on all your outlines at this point in the semester. I did some outlining every weekend my 1L fall semester, but I wouldn't always do every class every weekend. There are plenty of people who outperformed me 1L year who didn't start their outlines until the last couple weeks of the semester. If you really want to outline now, just see if you can get the first couple of "units" done for each class (for example: finish assault and battery for torts, offer and acceptance for contracts, etc.).

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I made all of my outlines from scratch between the day after thanksgiving and the exams. I generally finished the outline for a class a day before the exam, using the last day (sometimes half-day) to run through practice problems, hypos, etc. Now, I have a way of hyper-focuing when I need to, it's my style. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me, was top of my class 1L year (and beyond).

Point being, it is OK if your outlines are not done (or even started) right now. The value of the outline is the PROCESS OF MAKING IT. Frankly, the reason I advocate outlining late in the game because it is the ultimate review tool to have the information fresh in your head for finals. Something you wrote in October, then just passively re-read before finals won't have your mind actively engaged when it counts - just before your exam. I'm also surprising lazy, which really helps me procrastinate until the last minute. That in itself is an amazing energizer / motivator - feeling terrifyingly behind. Stress makes some people perform better I guess.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:If you're hellbent on making your own outlines (like I was), stagger the weeks you do them. For example...

Week 7: update contracts
Week 8: update torts
Week 9: update criminal law
Week 10: update contracts
Etc...

This allows you to do periodic review and get your outlines up to date.

I agree with this.

OP, you're setting an arbitrary deadline to be "done" with your outlines, and its really early to be doing this to yourself. There's absolutely no need to kill yourself over outlines now. I didn't even start getting serious about outlines until November, and neither did most of my friends, and it didn't hurt us at all.

sangr

Postby sangr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:49 pm

alright thanks for the advice all

i was getting super extra stressed and wasted this week that i coulda put in more work for other classes cuz of outlines, i was only able to finish one.

ugh...regret it a lot but i guess i wont stress myself out too much due to not making an outline.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 pm

sangr wrote:alright thanks for the advice all

i was getting super extra stressed and wasted this week that i coulda put in more work for other classes cuz of outlines, i was only able to finish one.

ugh...regret it a lot but i guess i wont stress myself out too much due to not making an outline.

Meant to PM...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”