Are any of you unhappy? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uvabro

Bronze

Re: Are any of you unhappy?

Post by uvabro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm unhappy, but it's not like a general thing. I can be happy. I tend to work long but not hard (not intending puns) so I can never go out. All I have time to do is spend 1 hour at the gym which I don't even like doing but I don't want to get fat so my days always suck. The material is interesting but I'd rather be doing other stuff. I have women hit on me when I go to the supermarket once a week so I still have some swag I guess, but I always brush off the convos because no girl is worth the time commitment right now which would result in my not doing well. I haven't so much as held hands with a girl since school started. I've become celibate, sober, I'm basically like a legal priest. I like my classmates. I like the field. It just is what it is. I don't think I'm unhappy because of anything but the amount of work and stress of getting a job based off of performance on that work. I don't see any other field worth getting into being different.

JO 14

New

Post by JO 14 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:27 am

kalvano wrote:There's always the strong possibility that interviewers didn't mention the journal because it's just expected that you'd have it, and you would not have gotten the interview without it.
My situation might be a little different since I secured a 1L SA, thus no mention of journal or LR came into play (I will return as a 2L SA). At this point the only reason I can think of to continue journal is that someday it might look noteworthy under my firm bio ― especially if I become titled (journal editor or managing editor). I should note that the 3Ls on the journal contribute as close to nothing as possible thus we 2Ls are buried. I do not mind the work as much as the time spent, taking away from many more interesting projects. Thus, my answer to the title of this thread.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:10 pm

JO 14 wrote:
kalvano wrote:There's always the strong possibility that interviewers didn't mention the journal because it's just expected that you'd have it, and you would not have gotten the interview without it.
My situation might be a little different since I secured a 1L SA, thus no mention of journal or LR came into play (I will return as a 2L SA). At this point the only reason I can think of to continue journal is that someday it might look noteworthy under my firm bio ― especially if I become titled (journal editor or managing editor). I should note that the 3Ls on the journal contribute as close to nothing as possible thus we 2Ls are buried. I do not mind the work as much as the time spent, taking away from many more interesting projects. Thus, my answer to the title of this thread.
congrats man. if it was just the work with more security in employment it would be much better. i think sullivan or some other existentialist wrote a things about the hierarchy of happiness with the idea being you can't enter the next stage until you have the previous one. it's funny because even making 40k out of college, you wind up having more levels than when you go to law school, because u sink back down to financial insecurity and uncertainty regarding the future.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:14 pm

uvabro wrote:
JO 14 wrote:
congrats man. if it was just the work with more security in employment it would be much better. i think sullivan or some other existentialist wrote a things about the hierarchy of happiness with the idea being you can't enter the next stage until you have the previous one. it's funny because even making 40k out of college, you wind up having more levels than when you go to law school, because u sink back down to financial insecurity and uncertainty regarding the future.
Maslow's hierarchy of needs bro?

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:
uvabro wrote:
JO 14 wrote:
Maslow's hierarchy of needs bro?
yeah. i guess a positive is when i was just a college student id go with any girl who was a 5 or 6, and was really lazy. since realizing i was actually good at school when i tried, but not a nerd my standards and relationships got much better. but now it's to the point that if a girl isn't the perfect package she just isn't worth sacrificing study time, and talking to every girl that smiles at you takes time. time i don't have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:04 am

The people in my section are all really cool. I really like talking about the law, drinking and just being around them. Together I think we can do really interesting things in the field. What makes it suck is in order for me to secure good employment I need to do better than them, and there's no way of getting around that. The reason top-14 law schools suck is you put intelligent, and mostly good people all together and to get ahead you mathematically push someone else behind. When you're in a class with all douchebags, there's no guilt about it or insecurity that you can't do it.

kingofdara

New

Post by kingofdara » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:37 am

uvabro wrote:The people in my section are all really cool. I really like talking about the law, drinking and just being around them. Together I think we can do really interesting things in the field. What makes it suck is in order for me to secure good employment I need to do better than them, and there's no way of getting around that. The reason top-14 law schools suck is you put intelligent, and mostly good people all together and to get ahead you mathematically push someone else behind. When you're in a class with all douchebags, there's no guilt about it or insecurity that you can't do it.
Sounds like you're a 1L, so I'd say it's a little premature to be worried about the guilt of doing better than your classmates.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:31 pm

uvabro wrote:The people in my section are all really cool. I really like talking about the law, drinking and just being around them. Together I think we can do really interesting things in the field. What makes it suck is in order for me to secure good employment I need to do better than them, and there's no way of getting around that. The reason top-14 law schools suck is you put intelligent, and mostly good people all together and to get ahead you mathematically push someone else behind. When you're in a class with all douchebags, there's no guilt about it or insecurity that you can't do it.
5-1 you end up bottom 25%

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm the most miserable person around.. I'm only happy when school is in the rearview mirroreach and every day.I'm only there for class and sometimes that's too much

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:02 pm

uvabro wrote:I think we can do really interesting things in the field
??

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
uvabro wrote:I think we can do really interesting things in the field
??

Like a crazy game of zombies and aliens? Or the largest ultimate frisbee tourney? And an epic rage fest afterwords with kegs and live bands?

Oh you meant the other field...... No 99.9999% of us won't do that.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:08 am

northwood wrote:I'm the most miserable person around.. I'm only happy when school is in the rearview mirroreach and every day.I'm only there for class and sometimes that's too much
I know that feel bro.

Tigerbait2015

New

Post by Tigerbait2015 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Last edited by Tigerbait2015 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 am

I like studying law, I like my classmates, but this whole exam business is terribly depression-inducing.

PippyLongstocking

New

Post by PippyLongstocking » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:04 am

There is a kid passed out, drunk, in our commons....Some people can't handle finals.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 am

I really enjoy the law school experience 5% of the time.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”