Are any of you unhappy? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Are any of you unhappy?

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 pm

bk187 wrote:I see law school as a trade school in the sense that it's a means to an end (employment as a lawyer). Nothing more, nothing less.

I think law school sucks (it's boring and repetitive), but it doesn't make me unhappy. I can understand being unhappy about employment situations, but if law school makes you unhappy then I think you're doing it wrong. Then again I'm a cynic who doesn't understand why people try to find happiness in a job.

I find most of my unhappiness in law school stems from how little it has to do with the actual practice of law, and how poorly it prepares you to do that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 pm

kalvano wrote:I find most of my unhappiness in law school stems from how little it has to do with the actual practice of law, and how poorly it prepares you to do that.
I knew and expected that going in and saw it is an immutable fact not worth bothering myself over, though my tune might change as a 3L once I've had a couple extra semesters of law school breaking me down.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 pm

bk187 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I find most of my unhappiness in law school stems from how little it has to do with the actual practice of law, and how poorly it prepares you to do that.
I knew and expected that going in and saw it is an immutable fact not worth bothering myself over, though my tune might change as a 3L once I've had a couple extra semesters of law school breaking me down.
Ah, that's it. I've already had my summer of real legal work, and that makes 3L all the more unbearable.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
bk187 wrote:I see law school as a trade school in the sense that it's a means to an end (employment as a lawyer). Nothing more, nothing less.

I think law school sucks (it's boring and repetitive), but it doesn't make me unhappy. I can understand being unhappy about employment situations, but if law school makes you unhappy then I think you're doing it wrong. Then again I'm a cynic who doesn't understand why people try to find happiness in a job.

I find most of my unhappiness in law school stems from how little it has to do with the actual practice of law, and how poorly it prepares you to do that.
This combined with the high school aspect of it for me is why I don't see it like a trade school.

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 am

Blessedassurance wrote:alcohol [abuse] and [attempt to get] undergrads.
standard
Blessedassurance wrote:This shit is absolutely horrible and not as intellectual as people imagine it to be.
the neck pain is getting to me more than anything. not sure how you can say it isn't intellectual enough though. would like to hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:27 am

rouser wrote: the neck pain is getting to me more than anything. not sure how you can say it isn't intellectual enough though. would like to hear.
What do you find intellectually stimulating about it?

Also, God forbid you find yourself in a class with that obnoxious gunner who either goes on and on with hypotheticals that will never happen and has nothing to do with anything or decides to throw a tantrum because he disagrees with Easterbrook's reasoning. I think law school is pretty cool for like the first four weeks, then it gets tediously boring as hell.

That said, I'm pretty excited about actual practice.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 am

I f'ing hate law school more than anything I've done in my life. The classes, the (majority of) people and the reading are a total waste of time/money.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 am

i hate gunners. with a passion. they make it even worse. unfortunatlly, im stuck with at least 1 in each of my classes- so this semester officially sucks donkey balls

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 am

I'm enjoying law school. Do I have some kind of mental illness?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I'm enjoying law school. Do I have some kind of mental illness?
Right there with ya though, after my introduction to the blue book I see a future contention happening......

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 am

JCFindley wrote:Right there with ya though, after my introduction to the blue book I see a future contention happening......
Encyclopedia citing will make you hate the bluebook.

But yes, I'm still enjoying myself. It's much funner than teaching!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:39 am

JCFindley wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I'm enjoying law school. Do I have some kind of mental illness?
Right there with ya though, after my introduction to the blue book I see a future contention happening......
I think the bottom line with Bluebooking is don't get wrapped up in the details. Even my professors don't know all the rules. As long as the judge can find your case, who cares if you italicized a period?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 am

kalvano wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Ah, that's it. I've already had my summer of real legal work, and that makes 3L all the more unbearable.
This was my experience during 3L. I just felt like law school was a bunch of BS and wanted it to be over (other than my clinic, which was truly challenging).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 am

Not unhappy, maybe just sad that I wasted so much money and time to get a shitty education that is completely worthless and hang out with some of the worst people I have ever met in my life.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:16 am

I'm really enjoying law school. 9 to 5 is plenty of time for me to do all of my reading & 1st level note-taking, I've made a few good friends (people that I legitimately think highly of, not just "friends of necessity"), I use my time at home to work ahead sometimes, sometimes outline, but usually just watch football, play SCII, and kickback a few beers. I've got a girlfriend, but if I didn't, the girls in my class are actually pretty attractive, especially compared to the hell hole that was my undergrad.
Plus, I dig the material. Law school rewards those who thrive on uncertainty and making creative arguments (at least mine does). I took a look at some practice exams last week, and all of the issue spotters are basically in complete gray areas- the profs make it pretty clear that knowledge of "the rule" will not even get you to median (though it is necessary). What matters is how creative and logical your arguments are, and well you can use precedent to that end. Not claiming to be great at that or anything, but I do like it.
It does help my stress level that I have substantial contacts in a pretty strong secondary market (that I would love to go back to), so I don't have to worry as much about 1L summer work, and I only need to finish above median to essentially be guaranteed an associate position in that market. Definitely takes the edge off.

I really don't understand the complaints about it being like highschool. Maybe my school is just different. Maybe it's because I have a serious girlfriend and when I go out it's to play pool or watch football. I just think of law school as a job- work comes first, and as long as I have a few good friends, I could care less about socializing with everyone else.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 am

American_in_China wrote:I'm really enjoying law school. 9 to 5 is plenty of time for me to do all of my reading & 1st level note-taking, I've made a few good friends (people that I legitimately think highly of, not just "friends of necessity"), I use my time at home to work ahead sometimes, sometimes outline, but usually just watch football, play SCII, and kickback a few beers. I've got a girlfriend, but if I didn't, the girls in my class are actually pretty attractive, especially compared to the hell hole that was my undergrad.
Plus, I dig the material. Law school rewards those who thrive on uncertainty and making creative arguments (at least mine does). I took a look at some practice exams last week, and all of the issue spotters are basically in complete gray areas- the profs make it pretty clear that knowledge of "the rule" will not even get you to median (though it is necessary). What matters is how creative and logical your arguments are, and well you can use precedent to that end. Not claiming to be great at that or anything, but I do like it.
It does help my stress level that I have substantial contacts in a pretty strong secondary market (that I would love to go back to), so I don't have to worry as much about 1L summer work, and I only need to finish above median to essentially be guaranteed an associate position in that market. Definitely takes the edge off.

I really don't understand the complaints about it being like highschool. Maybe my school is just different. Maybe it's because I have a serious girlfriend and when I go out it's to play pool or watch football. I just think of law school as a job- work comes first, and as long as I have a few good friends, I could care less about socializing with everyone else.
You sound like my clone. Except I usually wake up at 6 and go to 3. Go to the gym and have my day completely wrapped up by 5 unless I feel like doing extra. Also a big SCII player, have a girlfriend, the girls in my undergrad looked like dog shit, and spend a lot of time kicking back brews and watching football. Feel the exact same about the material as well.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 am

bk187 wrote:Then again I'm a cynic who doesn't understand why people try to find happiness in a job.
Yeah, you and I go back and forth on this. I guess I've just been very lucky to find gainful employment doing things I love. Not the norm for sure, but nice when it works out that way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:40 am

nygrrrl wrote:
bk187 wrote:Then again I'm a cynic who doesn't understand why people try to find happiness in a job.
Yeah, you and I go back and forth on this. I guess I've just been very lucky to find gainful employment doing things I love. Not the norm for sure, but nice when it works out that way.
I dunno. I think some people are more capable of finding happiness in their work than others.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

I kind of hate law school, despite occasionally enjoying it. If that makes sense. I hate law school despite having a job lined up. I think the people here are assholes, even though I've made a few genuine friends.

I hate the high school atmosphere, with gossip and the "cool kids" club and RIDICULOUS drama that tends to go on among my classmates. I hate the alcoholism and the sense of desperation behind it. I'm confused (and sometimes amused) by the way some people just blankly stare through you when you greet them or even just acknowledge them with a smile - and I'm not the only one who has experienced this either. And god help you if you didn't make friends with everyone during your 1L year, because they're not going to be receptive to you afterwards.

On the other hand, my work is interesting. I have the job I always dreamed of waiting for me, and I hope I won't be a bitter, disillusioned, resentful Biglaw alcoholic in a few years. I probably will be. I think the best solution is to live as cheaply as possible, pay down my loans aggressively, and save even more aggressively. Then after 5 years I can flee Biglaw and work for a human rights group or some other non-profit, and finally be happy.

Reading over this post, it sounds like going to law school was a great decision.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:56 pm

IAFG wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
I dunno. I think some people are more capable of finding happiness in their work than others.
I agree with both of these things. As you point out nyg, you're probably not the norm. I think it's nice when it happens but it is to the average person's detriment if they think they can find happiness in a job and attempt to find their "true calling" because it will lead them to feeling unfulfilled.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm unhappy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:I'm unhappy.
I'm happy that you're unhappy.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:20 pm

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Ups and downs. Some of the stuff I've learned in law school is genuinely interesting. Most of it isn't. I'm fortunate enough to have a 2L SA, so that's awesome. I still have no idea if I will actually be happy as a practicing attorney (whether in biglaw or elsewhere).

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 pm

academically, i actually kind of loved law school. I had worked in law firms before attending so I kind of already knew a lot of the practical aspects of lawyering, and I liked talking about theory and the more conceptual stuff. plus i had this one professor who was fiiiiiiine

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”