C&F in Texas v. NY

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

C&F in Texas v. NY

Postby Perseus_I » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:16 pm

I had a one-time C&F issue from 3 yrs ago I was a bit worried about that falls into the discretionary category in both NY and TX (it's something that must be disclosed, but not an automatic disqualifier in any state). It's actually pretty bad, and I thought I'd have a lot of trouble passing C&F (non violent, non theft, non drug related -- but a pretty bad reflection of character).

In TX, we have a preliminary "declaration of intent" that you can file as a 1L to get a preliminary C&F evaluation. I disclosed completely and got approved just on the paper, without a hearing. But TX is also where that Arizona murderer passed C&F. I'm wondering if I should plan to have a more rigorous evaluation (and possibly a different result) in NY. If so, does NY have something similar to the declaration in TX so I can get started right away (a quick Google search didn't turn up anything)?

Re: C&F in Texas v. NY

Postby thesealocust » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:34 pm

C&F isn't there to cull the heard, it takes a lot - and often affirmative misrepresentation along the way or a major pattern in behavior - to get dinged for C&F reasons. Generally red flags mean investigation, and candor/disclosure is mission critical.

Here's more NY info, including limited circumstances under which preliminary rulings can be obtained: http://www.nylat.org/publications/broch ... hure09.pdf

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”