Tempted to quit

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Younger Abstention

Re: Tempted to quit

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 pm

A lot of people feel the way you do right now -- whether they outwardly show it or not. You might, however, be pleasantly surprised when grades come back in January. Keep at it, control your stress level, don't waste a lot of time on LRW, and reevaluate what you want to do after the semester is over.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:39 pm

But no one should wait until grades come back to make a decision. Wait out the semester since it's too late to get a refund, but don't make this mistake again next semester - do not wait until grades come back or it will be too late to get a refund.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm

cinephile wrote:But no one should wait until grades come back to make a decision. Wait out the semester since it's too late to get a refund, but don't make this mistake again next semester - do not wait until grades come back or it will be too late to get a refund.

But what if his/her grades end up coming back great? If you don't wait for grades -- considering 1L grades are nearly impossible to predict -- what's even the point of staying a day longer?

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 pm

LOL! Awesome username. I'm actually outlining for Fed Courts right now and am going over the Abstention Doctrine.

idk

Postby idk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 pm

gdane wrote:LOL! Awesome username. I'm actually outlining for Fed Courts right now and am going over the Abstention Doctrine.

hahaha thanks. :)

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 pm

idk wrote:
gdane wrote:LOL! Awesome username. I'm actually outlining for Fed Courts right now and am going over the Abstention Doctrine.

hahaha thanks. :)

Im sorry. I actually meant the person at the top of the page that has the username "Younger Abstention."

But yours is cool too!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
cinephile wrote:But no one should wait until grades come back to make a decision. Wait out the semester since it's too late to get a refund, but don't make this mistake again next semester - do not wait until grades come back or it will be too late to get a refund.

But what if his/her grades end up coming back great? If you don't wait for grades -- considering 1L grades are nearly impossible to predict -- what's even the point of staying a day longer?

Let's say your grades are great. But you really hate law school. But your grades convince you to stay. Then you're miserable. First you should seriously evaluate whether you enjoyed the experience and think you honestly want to be a lawyer. If not, drop out before 2nd semester starts. If you really enjoyed it and want to be a lawyer, stay unless your grades come back poorly and then drop out. It's a two-part drop-out consideration process. But hopefully you can make your choice before grades come back and save yourself $$$.

idk

Postby idk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:38 pm

cinephile wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:

Let's say your grades are great. But you really hate law school. But your grades convince you to stay. Then you're miserable. First you should seriously evaluate whether you enjoyed the experience and think you honestly want to be a lawyer. If not, drop out before 2nd semester starts. If you really enjoyed it and want to be a lawyer, stay unless your grades come back poorly and then drop out. It's a two-part drop-out consideration process. But hopefully you can make your choice before grades come back and save yourself $$$.

I actually like my doctrinal courses quite a bit (well, 3/4). LRW is just the bane of my existence. For some reason, I don't "get" legal writing. I worry that my incompetence in LRW may carry over into doctrinal courses, but only time will tell...

Also, I'm not thrilled with the culture of my school (though I imagine 99% of schools are similar this way).

tmgarvey

Postby tmgarvey » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Just two cents from somebody who went to law school a REALLY long time ago (class of 84):

I was a journalism major in college. Been a great writer all my life. I could NOT get the hang of legal writing my first semester. I muddled along, couldn't figure out what I was missing.

My second semester, when I wrote my moot court brief, it was like a light bulb went on. I learned what the trick is: Write your argument first, THEN put in the case support for your position. The mistake I was making originally was to just slog through all the law--it did not give the reader any idea where it was going and why. Obviously, a memo is different from a brief, but the same principle applies. Figure out what the competing issues are, explain them clearly, and then put in the cases that represent those respective positions. It's too easy to get bogged down in the cases and statutes and whatever if you go at it the other way around.

Now, my legal writing did not magically become perfect once I realized how to go about it, but it began to steadily improve. Over the course of my career I have written hundreds of briefs, including ones that won in the State Supreme Court.

So I wouldn't conclude, based on first semester struggles with writing, that you are hopeless by any means. I agree with what the others have said about making reasonable use of your time--you cannot neglect the substantive course work. The writing will improve over time and with practice.

Good luck--I hated 90 percent of what I did in law school, but I have had a very fun career, and it was totally worth it to me.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Don't judge your insides by other people's outsides (ie, other people probably feel stressed inside as well but are not showing it or are trying to cover it up by bragging about their great outlines - I can guarantee you that the state of your outline or lackthereof has just about zero correlation to how grades shake out; the determination of grades all happens in the few weeks up to finals)

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Aren't you at HLS? Don't forget that a mediocre performance will still leave you with great options. You've obviously put in the work to get there, I certainly wouldn't give up so fast.

idk

Postby idk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:25 pm

TheZoid wrote:Aren't you at HLS? Don't forget that a mediocre performance will still leave you with great options. You've obviously put in the work to get there, I certainly wouldn't give up so fast.

Thanks to everyone for all of the positive comments! I really appreciate your support.

deebs

Postby deebs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 am

Chances are you have some sort of example of a memo from your instructor. Use the same exact intro clauses. Use the same exact words to indicate comparing/contrasting. Even shoot for the same paragraph lengths. How does he/she lay out the props - well, yours need to be the same way. He/she uses colons and then numbers the points, you do too. They use block quotes, you do too. They use the cites where you explain afterwards (can't remember what they're called), you do too. Obviously, the opposite applies as well.

Use the example as a template, change the facts, change the analysis, laying out the law is easy when following the professor's pattern, proof read it, blue book correctly, and you will get a good grade with minimal effort. I'm sure your professor has used the phrase, "every lawyer has a different preference for legal writing" or "at your job this summer, you will have to change your style for each lawyer you are working with." Chances are your professor is a lawyer, chances are he has a preference, chances are you get a better grade if you turn in something that reads and uses the same language as he/she does. I used this strategy to get A's in legal writing after being a finance major, and I also used it to write-on to law review. Two people got a higher grade than I did first semester, and one of them is a published author. Don't go for creativity, go for replication and error free. I'm sure this is filled with grammatical errors, I'm not a good natural writer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”