Solitary Study vs Group Study

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vtoodler

Solitary Study vs Group Study

Postby vtoodler » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:54 am

Which is usually more effective for you: group studying versus studying alone?

And why?

In a book entitled "Academically Adrift," two sociologists argue that solitary study is often more effective.

Do you agree?
Last edited by vtoodler on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Re: Solitary Study vs Group Study

Postby jessuf » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I hate group study. If I am just going to google case briefs and read supplements, what is the point of group study? I went to a group study session once, and it was a bunch of lost people wasting 5 hours on problems that should take 30 minutes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 pm

For a few specific things, a group can add a lot of value. Taking practice exams with a few people, reviewing them, and trying to actually grade them like a professor would is the most helpful thing I did 1L year by a wide margin.

As for actually learning the law and studying, groups are probably a waste of time. Socialization is important, but I'd keep it separate from school if only for sanity's sake.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:For a few specific things, a group can add a lot of value. Taking practice exams with a few people, reviewing them, and trying to actually grade them like a professor would is the most helpful thing I did 1L year by a wide margin.

As for actually learning the law and studying, groups are probably a waste of time. Socialization is important, but I'd keep it separate from school if only for sanity's sake.

This.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Every other week lately, I have a group from my class come in on the weekend (I lure them in with food) and we walk through an outline of the class that was given to us by upperclassmen. We argue about what should be in and out of the outline and that discussion usually helps cement those concepts and fills in missing holes in an outline. Usually takes about 2 hours per class.

Bottom line for me: Study and outline on my own, check that outline and practice exam answers in a group.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 pm

MarcZero wrote:Every other week lately, I have a group from my class come in on the weekend (I lure them in with food) and we walk through an outline of the class that was given to us by upperclassmen. We argue about what should be in and out of the outline and that discussion usually helps cement those concepts and fills in missing holes in an outline. Usually takes about 2 hours per class.
This seems odd.

thesealocust wrote:For a few specific things, a group can add a lot of value. Taking practice exams with a few people, reviewing them, and trying to actually grade them like a professor would is the most helpful thing I did 1L year by a wide margin.

I think this is TTCR. If you have model answers for your practice exams then I don't think group study is useful for that either. I'm a 3L and I've literally never group studied.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”