Am I doing this right?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swimmer11

Am I doing this right?

Postby swimmer11 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Am I doing this right?

On the weekend:

I read ahead for the week, I review backwards by going over all the material I have covered to date(spending more time on the concepts I have not memorized and less time on those I have), and I spend a significant amount of time on LW.

Monday – Thursday:

I review the material for the current week, hammering concepts to memory, working through any hypothetical I can find from the E&Es, from professors, from the internet, and I tweak my outline adding to it, revising it, and playing around with it furthering my understanding of how all the concepts work together in the big scheme of things. I also spend about an hour a day on LW.

When working on Hypos I generally try and type out my answer as fast as I can like I would on an exam. I then type it out slower and compare the two answers. Is this a credited strategy?

Thanks guys!!!

noleknight16

Re: Am I doing this right?

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:41 pm

You put me to shame, that's for sure.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 pm

I sincerely hope that you do not go to my school. Sounds like you do more work than anyone I know personally

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 pm

hey just a 1L so idk but judging from conventional wisdom, i think you are trying too hard. you can always look to the success in law school threads for guidance.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:48 pm

You know yourself best, but be careful of burnout. Even if it doesn't happen this semester, and you wind up doing well on finals, you still might find yourself dropping off next semester. My usual advice is do the readings, take good class notes or use old outlines, review every other week to make sure you aren't lost, and then bunker down the last month and really learn everything. Half the time you won't even understand the concepts covered at the beginning of the semester in totality until you get to the material at the end. But again, it's whatever works for you, and you know how you learn best by now (one would hope).

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:46 am

Damn. Like, there's so much stuff you don't need to be doing that you are doing, but you don't know that yet because you haven't learned what you need to do.

If I were to nit pick one thing that you're doing, it would be not to read ahead for the week on the weekends only to review the same material again that very week. Just read the day before the class. The class itself should be sufficient review to determine whether you have learned how to glean what you need from a case. Learn how to read the material only once through close reading.

If I were to nit pick a second thing it would be stop doing hypotheticals. I remember running out of those 1L Fall year. Start, like, 5 to 7 (if you must) weeks out from finals before you start plowing through them.

Also hang out with your peers. Outside of the library.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”