Which bar admission has the most reciprocity?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ok2bedifferent

Which bar admission has the most reciprocity?

Postby ok2bedifferent » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I am wondering which bar I should take and really want to take one that has the most reciprocity with other jurisdictions. I was wondering if someone knew which bar that would be. I know those that passed the VA or MD bar can waive into DC, but wanted to know what other state bar(s) can be waived into by virtue of being admitted in another jurisdiction. Thanks.

ndirish2010

Re: Which bar admission has the most reciprocity?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm pretty sure Minnesota has a really low waive-in requirement.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:37 pm

ok2bedifferent wrote:I am wondering which bar I should take and really want to take one that has the most reciprocity with other jurisdictions. I was wondering if someone knew which bar that would be. I know those that passed the VA or MD bar can waive into DC, but wanted to know what other state bar(s) can be waived into by virtue of being admitted in another jurisdiction. Thanks.

DC waives in anyone with a passing MBE, a state bar admission, and an MPRE of 75 as long as you went to an accredited school.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Any state can waive into DC.

also, this is the first result on Google:
--LinkRemoved--

Jtjohnso24

Postby Jtjohnso24 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:43 pm

D.C. allows attorneys admitted in any stated to be waived in. You'll also want to see which states allow for reciprocity based on bar exam scores. The UBE is starting to allow lawyers to move around with greater ease. Check out http://www.BarReciprocity.com. It's a great resource for this type of information.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Why do you care so much about bar reciprocity? After 5 years or so of practicing, a lot of states have reciprocity. Moreover, a lot of federal courts don't even require you to be a member of the state bar in which the court sits for admission to practice at those courts (so, e.g., if you're practicing at a large law firm, where most of your cases are going to be before federal courts that don't require you to be admitted to the state in which it sits, then it's irrelevant what state bars you are a member of). Furthermore, it's a giant waste of money to be admitted to a states in which you aren't practicing (or likely to practice) because you're going to pay a shitload of bar dues for no reason. If you need to practice in a different state every now and then, you can can always seek to practice pro hac vice or associate with an attorney in that state. If you're an in-house attorney, you probably won't have to worry about multistate practice issues. TBH, I can't think of a situation where you would ever need to be admitted into a large number of states. The only real benefit I can think of, which being admitted into a jurisdiction with the most reciprocity would give you, is that it would be easier to move to a different state down the road. But in all reality, I don't think it makes sense to decide where you're likely going to need to live and practice for 5 years solely based on the fact that the state has good reciprocity with other states... Just take the bar exam in the jurisdiction you want to practice. The only exceptions (I can think of) are if you want to practice in Minnesota or DC, in which case, take the bar exam in the state you would most like to be in if you weren't in Minnesota/DC.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”