Am I doing this right?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splittermcsplit88

Am I doing this right?

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 pm

My school is having midterms (15%) soon, so everyone is gearing up. I think I've done what I can; I've read cases, pulled out the rules, outlined, memorized, did practice tests. Am I doing this right? I've screwed up on some cold calls, but I'm just so paranoid about doing well.

bk1

Re: Am I doing this right?

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Sounds fine.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:My school is having midterms (15%) soon, so everyone is gearing up. I think I've done what I can; I've read cases, pulled out the rules, outlined, memorized, did practice tests. Am I doing this right? I've screwed up on some cold calls, but I'm just so paranoid about doing well.

Cold calls don't matter, at all. It has no correlation with exam performance.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:17 pm

I hope so; today my prof. asked me for the detailed facts of the case, so I googled it on the spot :cry:

I don't want to just do well; I want to be within the top 5 students so I can transfer to a T14. What sets those people apart? I'm in the library all day everyday, but I'm not studying efficiently I think. I'm getting the feeling of burning out soon. AH.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I hope so; today my prof. asked me for the detailed facts of the case, so I googled it on the spot

This is what normal people do every time they get cold called.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:56 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I hope so; today my prof. asked me for the detailed facts of the case, so I googled it on the spot :cry:

I don't want to just do well; I want to be within the top 5 students so I can transfer to a T14. What sets those people apart? I'm in the library all day everyday, but I'm not studying efficiently I think. I'm getting the feeling of burning out soon. AH.

They don't burn out before exams and do lots and lots of practice exams and compare with friends or model exams.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:17 pm

I see a limit to looking at model exams. I check to see if I got the main points, but they're written by experts without a time limit. I want to know what an A exam would cover within the time limit. Is going to my prof's office hours the only way?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:

You need to stop letting this bog you done. To be brutally honest 95% of your class is gunning for similar results and will not get them. You need to stop burdening yourself with this and just do your best. Ask professors to provide model answers as well as any "model student" answers. We had profs that would give us the 3-5 page excellent run down of all the "right" answers, then a much longer student written exam.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:30 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I see a limit to looking at model exams. I check to see if I got the main points, but they're written by experts without a time limit. I want to know what an A exam would cover within the time limit. Is going to my prof's office hours the only way?

That's probably not even an option. A lot of professors (most, I'd say) won't give one-on-one feedback before an exam or provide just one student with a model answer.
Unless the professor has distributed that sort of thing to the entire class, I don't think there's much shot you're going to stroll in there and learn what you need to do to get an A while everyone else in the dark.

But, FWIW, you should be striving to answer every question as fully as you can. Doing what was good enough for an A last year is no guarantee that you'll get an A this year. It just doesn't work that way.

sangr

Postby sangr » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm

where do people get their mid term exams

i have compiled practice ones but most of em are finals.

also, how do people take practice exams when their prof teaches the order of things differently? (goes over ABC, as opposed to EDG, like most profs)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”