How much do completion assignments count for?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rambling92

How much do completion assignments count for?

Postby rambling92 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I did an assignment for a non-LRW class but didn't turn it in (got a phone call with some bad news as I was heading out the door, put the paper down on my desk, and didn't pick it back up). I sprinted back to my room after class, waited in line to speak with my prof, but he said he would only read the papers of the students who fulfilled the requirements of the project.

I guess I looked pretty pitiful standing there, blabbering about how sorry I was and how I spent a large chunk of the weekend working on it and if there was anything I could do to make it up. I also think I crossed a line by explaining how I had made it to class a couple minutes before it started and asked if it would be more appropriate for me to leave and come back late with the paper in hand for "next time." I honestly don't even know why I said that. It was dumb. I guess I was a little upset over the fact that some people walked in 5 minutes late and got to turn in their assignments, and I am literally the only one who is going to receive a zero. Plus, I know there won't even be a next time. This was the only assignment in the class for the semester. I also realize what a terrible and petulant thing that was to say out loud.

I'm really freaking out right now, given that I have fumbled through some of my answers when called upon and that I know how important it is to have a strong first semester. I also know that I'm obviously going to have to pull off some miracle on the final to compensate for my mistake.

So, my question is: how screwed am I? I know that grading for most classes is almost entirely based on the final exam, which is graded blindly. I also know that professors can adjust grades upward or downward after the results of the exam. Do you think this will drop my grade from, say, a B+ to a C+. Or is it more likely to be a third of a letter grade, from a B+ to a B?

NotMyRealName09

Re: How much do completion assignments count for?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Who knows? Seriously, no one here can provide insight that will help you with this one specific class. Sorry, ya blew it.

rambling92

Postby rambling92 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:56 pm

You're right, not exactly the greatest of questions. I was just wondering if anyone else had screwed up so terribly that they went into a final knowing that they would be faced with a built-in deduction.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Didn't your professor tell you what % of your grade this assignment counts for?

rambling92

Postby rambling92 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:06 pm

No, it was a problem that we discussed for the whole class, and he just said to bring in a response (for today's discussion) to be handed in. I know he's not going sit down and grade each one, because he told me he would be checking peoples names off, and my name wouldn't be checked off (obviously).

ProZack

Postby ProZack » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Doubt it's a full letter grade, 1/3 max. Might not even hurt you at all. Suck it up, study hard, do well on the final, and you'll be fine.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”