how to study contracts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anjmissy

Bronze

how to study contracts

Post by anjmissy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:03 pm

So I'm understanding all of the rules/theories behind the things so far..but my problem is knowing exactly what Restatement, UCC, CISG, and UNIDROIT says..example, i know this about consideration but im having difficulty referring to which UCC, etc, contains the information..any tips that can help? Someone told me to do flash cards but I feel like there must be a more efficient way

LOLyer

Bronze

Re: how to study contracts

Post by LOLyer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:59 pm

My prof assigned the pertinent restatement/UCC code as reading along with the textbook textbook reading. If your prof leaves it up to you to find out which UCC/restatement principals apply to the cases... that seems kind of douchy.

I would say google is your friend in this instance. You can probably find an index somewhere online. I know for a fact that there are indexes out there that cross-reference related UCC and restatement sections.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:22 am

LOLyer wrote:My prof assigned the pertinent restatement/UCC code as reading along with the textbook textbook reading. If your prof leaves it up to you to find out which UCC/restatement principals apply to the cases... that seems kind of douchy.

I would say google is your friend in this instance. You can probably find an index somewhere online. I know for a fact that there are indexes out there that cross-reference related UCC and restatement sections.
o naw he doesnt, our casebook "barnett" has which ones apply at the end of the sections but i still can't wrap my head around how to study which code refers to what reasoning, for instance, i know whats required for consideration but i can't just yell out the code that comes from. I guess index cards are my only option =(

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:10 pm

It's jurisidictional - are you dealing with a contract for goods in a jurisdiction that adopted the UCC? Then its the UCC.

Common law only or a service contract? Restatement.

Some other bullshit? Then the other bullshit you mentioned. Its the rare (maybe unheard of) question that won't specify what jurisdiction you need to be working in - and your professor would be a total asshole to test on anything other than the Restatement and/or the UCC.

The other non-UCC or non-Restatement sources are likely highlighted as food for thought only, or to highlight "trends," - but why not flattly ask your professor, "for the exam do we need to know the rules from the UCC, Restatement? What about that other bullshit that no one uses or ever will?" A quick question for the professor could clear this right up.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 pm

o yes we will definitely be tested on both the ucc and restatements, a student who had his class last year said she didnt really pay attention to the actual number of the ucc that applied to what she was using it and she thinks thats what he's big on, knowing what actual code/restatement its from..so i need an efficient way to learn it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”