What's more important: Doing the readings or going to class?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Doing the readings
37%
Going to class
63%

Total votes: 49

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Not say these things are exclusive of each other, but I just thought I'd see what people thought. Pick a choice assuming you could only do one, or you could only do a lot of one and a little bit of the other.

Feel free to explain your decision.

Icculus

Re: What's more important: Doing the readings or going to class?

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 pm

paul7lee wrote:Not say these things are exclusive of each other, but I just thought I'd see what people thought. Pick a choice assuming you could only do one, or you could only do a lot of one and a little bit of the other.

Feel free to explain your decision.

I find both to be important, but the readinsg generally tell you the rules and are good prep in terms of learning to read for issues.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Going to class by a mile. Class will give you a rough guide to what was in and what was important about the reading, reading won't tell you much of anything about what the lecture you missed.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:01 pm

more importantly, ABA requires you to be in regular attendance and skipping enough classes can be an auto-fail

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Go to class. Professors will often give you little bits of information that you wont find in your casebook or in a supplement. They may also give you their opinion on a case which is important on a test because you can pander to your professor's opinion. Most importantly, some professors will drop hints about exam questions.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

None of the above.

dingbat wrote:more importantly, ABA requires you to be in regular attendance and skipping enough classes can be an auto-fail

lol

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:None of the above.

dingbat wrote:more importantly, ABA requires you to be in regular attendance and skipping enough classes can be an auto-fail

lol

? This is true.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 pm

coldshoulder wrote:

lol

? This is true.

Yes, you have to be at like 60 percent of your classes or something. But it only matters if your professor actually takes role.

Class is way more important than reading the cases. You go to class to know what the hell the professor wants you to know from cases that could be completely historical background. Reading and not going to class is a waste of time. Thus, if you're only going to do one, go to class.

Do both if you want to do better than most of your class.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 pm

I vote readings.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:

lol

Also, I chose class because you can get briefs and BLLs from class discussion. If not, then supplements. Reading cases never taught me anything. I have read only one case this semester, and it was because I was going to be on call. I usually just show up and let the gunners and professors tell me what the cases said.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Jessuf wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

lol

Also, I chose class because you can get briefs and BLLs from class discussion. If not, then supplements. Reading cases never taught me anything. I have read only one case this semester, and it was because I was going to be on call. I usually just show up and let the gunners and professors tell me what the cases said.

Just out of curiosity, how well did you do in your 1L year?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:42 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

lol

Just out of curiosity, how well did you do in your 1L year?

Well enough to transfer from a TTT to a T14 school. (Sorry to answer for you Jessuf)

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Mce252 wrote:Well enough to transfer from a TTT to a T14 school. (Sorry to answer for you Jessuf)

That's impressive! I am at a borderline Tier 1 but want to get into the T14. The reason why I asked is because I don't get much out of the casebook either and find that class and supplements do more. Hopefully I have the same success Jessuf did.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Mce252 wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:

lol

? This is true.

Yes, you have to be at like 60 percent of your classes or something. But it only matters if your professor actually takes role.

Until you get a professor who calls on you, notes that you're missing, and then starts paying attention to the vacant seat 3rd row from the back, class after class

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Doing well on the exams.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36 pm

f7 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Until you get a professor who calls on you, notes that you're missing, and then starts paying attention to the vacant seat 3rd row from the back, class after class

You're a law student?

omg lol can you even imagine

I feel bad for the profs at schools that actually enforce that shit, how degrading for them

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 pm

When I was in law school I went to class pretty much all the time until 3L. But I learn easily just from listening and remembering what the professor says. People have different learning styles. To me it is just easier to remember what i hear. Other people learn more from reading and reviewing supplements.

goaheadualright

Postby goaheadualright » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Do both- until you figure out for yourself, what works for you. Class is important because the person who grades your ONLY test, teaches every class! So, that's good stuff. If you can't find time to do both at this stage in the year...having a full-time job is going to be a real bitch. Just do both, don't cheat yourself, don't risk it, until you get grades back--then assess your methods.

Professor_Rau

Postby Professor_Rau » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 am

My second semester, I just read old outlines and went to class. I just added things to the old outline. Then did practice exams and took them to office hours to discuss with the professors. I didn't use supplements or read cases. Top 10% after Top 20% the first semester doing everything one is supposed to do and more (basically, following all the TLS wisdom on how to ace the first year. Really, paying attention in class and learning how to write a god damned exam and getting the best old outlines is the key. You don't need to do the reading for any of that.). I am absolutely a visual learner. I do not learn well from lectures, and I absolutely still think it's much better to go to class.

The one exception was Con Law. I studied every case. I had some passages memorized. And it was my best. I booked it. So MAYBE I am just an underachiever, or maybe Con Law is exceptional.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 am

IAFG wrote:
f7 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Until you get a professor who calls on you, notes that you're missing, and then starts paying attention to the vacant seat 3rd row from the back, class after class

You're a law student?

omg lol can you even imagine

I feel bad for the profs at schools that actually enforce that shit, how degrading for them

to be honest, none of my professors seem to care, but i'm not gonna give advise along lines that could, theoretically, get an F

Postby 20130312 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:38 am

Going to class, and its not even close. The readings don't tell you what the professor wants to see on the exams.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Going to class, and its not even close. The readings don't tell you what the professor wants to see on the exams.

Yeah, this, and also - amazed at the number of "is class necessary?" posts recently - its fucking school! Yes, going to class is important!

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Do you think it's necessary to go to class for 2Ls/3Ls?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Going to class, and its not even close. The readings don't tell you what the professor wants to see on the exams.

I think it depends on the class. If the prof. tests on the reading material (which many do) then reading carefully and creating a good outline from the book may be more important that attending every class. But this thread really presents a false dichotomy: attending class and reading the assigned material are generally speaking both important elements of doing well in a class IMO.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:26 pm

People have done well and poorly focusing on either thing, neither, or both. There is no universal magic bullet for doing well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”