Law Review Comment Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ephemeral.bete.noire

New

Law Review Comment Question

Post by ephemeral.bete.noire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

I was doing some research on my comment topic and recently found a related case that will possibly be reviewed by the Supreme Court during the October 2012 Term. The outcome of the case could have huge implications on my comment topic.

Am I going to get screwed in possibly writing a moot comment? Once cert. is granted what is the likely timetable for the S.C. to issue their opinion?

Miller32

Bronze

Re: Law Review Comment Question

Post by Miller32 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Very possible because your comment wouldn't get published until next Fall at the earliest, and the SC would probably make its decision by next Summer.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:48 pm

This. Find a new topic.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:56 pm

ephemeral.bete.noire wrote:I was doing some research on my comment topic and recently found a related case that will possibly be reviewed by the Supreme Court during the October 2012 Term. The outcome of the case could have huge implications on my comment topic.

Am I going to get screwed in possibly writing a moot comment? Once cert. is granted what is the likely timetable for the S.C. to issue their opinion?
Talk to your LR about it ASAP. Things to consider: How far into writing this paper are you? Likelihood you will be able to get your note credit nonetheless? How likely is it you would be published anyway (as in, how many student notes get published out of how many student notes total)?

If getting published is all you care about, then obv answer is to pick a new topic. If writing the note is all you care about, see what your LR's policy is concerning preemption.

ephemeral.bete.noire

New

Post by ephemeral.bete.noire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Case did not get pulled for this term. Thank God. Hopefully it will sit for a couple more rounds.. or maybe the world will end in December and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”