2L. Is it okay to miss class?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
armystrong

2L. Is it okay to miss class?

Postby armystrong » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:47 am

I know this is kind of noobish to ask, but I have to, because I was raised by a Tiger Mom. I've been missing a lot of class lately (our semester started way early in 3rd wk of Aug). I have no motivation to go. Although, I do my readings, brief cases, write detailed notes on my readings, and just generally know what's going on in class by popping in every now and again to know where we are. I don't really get notes from other people, but I know the notes are going to say the same exact things my HW notes are going to say because my class notes mirror my HW notes, but in less detail. I'll outline soon enough with the help of outline banks and my own HW notes.

I just didn't do this at all during 1L, although I missed a bit in spring semester of 1L, and didn't do nearly as well during 1L fall semester. Two of my profs' syllabi also say that class attendance/participation will count, but they don't take attendance (unless they just do it without calling out names).

Context: I summered as a 1L at V10, have an offer to return next summer, and to return after graduation. Therefore, understandably, motivation to go to class has sunk.

So, is it okay to miss class?
Last edited by armystrong on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulinaporizkova

Re: 2L. Is it okay to miss class?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:36 pm

GOd I hope so.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:44 pm

You should thank your tiger mom everyday for making you feel like you even need to ask this question. I can only pray that my kids grow up to be as driven and responsible as you. In short, yes, it is now okay for you to miss class. Welcome to 2LOL.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

You're an adult. Do what you want. Nobody cares.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Weren't you the one who got a 2.5 last semester? Then no you can't.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Weren't you the one who got a 2.5 last semester? Then no you can't.

This. I'm all for slacking off but you need to buckle down brother. Also, you already have an offer to return after graduation? I call bullshit...no firm works that way. You have an offer for next summer, and a chance of earning an offer for post-graduation.

I'd consider that you may get no-offered, especially given your concerns in your other thread.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:24 pm

The Duck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Weren't you the one who got a 2.5 last semester? Then no you can't.

This. I'm all for slacking off but you need to buckle down brother. Also, you already have an offer to return after graduation? I call bullshit...no firm works that way. You have an offer for next summer, and a chance of earning an offer for post-graduation.

I'd consider that you may get no-offered, especially given your concerns in your other thread.

Yeah... OP you need to at least do PTs and make sure you destroy exams, even if you hate class. You will have been in LS for 1.5 years at end of semester, do you want your transcript to scream that you only tried for .5 of those years?

I really suggest you read the no offer thread regarding how many firms used "grades" as either a legit or pretext to no offer.

Edit: You were worried in other thread about how your firm will respond to your massive grade drop. How can you be so worried while seeking an online forum's stamp of approval on continuing to blow off school? ... Not gonna lie, this feels like a flame.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

The Duck wrote: Also, you already have an offer to return after graduation? I call bullshit...no firm works that way.

Some firms do!

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

arism87 wrote:
The Duck wrote: Also, you already have an offer to return after graduation? I call bullshit...no firm works that way.

Some firms do!

Yup, sorry The Duck. Most firms that offer 1L positions are very generous - the offer is a full time offer to return after graduation.

For example, Ropes and Gray does this.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 pm

monkey85 wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Some firms do!

Yup, sorry The Duck. Most firms that offer 1L positions are very generous - the offer is a full time offer to return after graduation.

For example, Ropes and Gray does this.

Well, I stand corrected then. All of the firms I'm aquainted with only provide an offer for 2L summer and then re-evaluate. Even so, a huge drop in GPA may get you rescinded. So, OP needs to go to class and pull his GPA back up.

mikejohnbob

Postby mikejohnbob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:15 pm

speaking of having a tiger mom, i found this hilarious book on amazon
SPAM

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 pm

lol class

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 am

One class I've been to three times.

Another class I skipped the first 3.5 weeks.

Another one I go 1/2 the time.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”