Waking up

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: Waking up

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Swimp wrote:How did you get this far in life without having to wake up in the morning?

I was asleep for 20 years and still got by somehow.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:20 am

Why has no one said just go to bed earlier?

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:06 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Watermelon Man wrote:What time do practicing lawyers get to work?

In DC like 9 AM is decently early to on time. I don't think anyone would care if you weren't there by 9:30. 10 is probably pushing it.

Is that just DC, or is that normal for other areas as well?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 am

guinness1547 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

In DC like 9 AM is decently early to on time. I don't think anyone would care if you weren't there by 9:30. 10 is probably pushing it.

NYC is even later at many firms/practices. Very much a late-night, late-morning practice; but if you need to be there early for a particular project, conference call, etc. then you need to be there early.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:37 am

thesealocust wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

NYC is even later at many firms/practices. Very much a late-night, late-morning practice; but if you need to be there early for a particular project, conference call, etc. then you need to be there early.

I see. Thanks!

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 am

tim.janitor wrote:
Icculus wrote:
JoeFish wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm not sure there is a class in law school that I haven't missed more than three twelve classes.

But my profs never took attendance.

Go to a T14. No attendance taken. The people with the highest grades never go to class.

Go to a T14, had a prof who dropped our grade 10% if we missed more than 3 classes

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Swimp wrote:How did you get this far in life without having to wake up in the morning?

I lol'd :)

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Difficulty waking up is a characteristic of splitters.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 pm

All of my profs take roll as well, semi-serious about it, don't give a damn if you let them know you're missing for a good reason.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad they take attendance. If they didn't I'd wake up an hour later every day, read the cases/E&E's, and end up learning more. Oh wait... :(
Class sucks.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:48 pm

Similar problem. I'm up to about 20 alarms now and one I keep across the room. Unfortunately I discovered my shit alarm can be turned off by pressing anything on the TV remote, so the 'across the room technique' didn't work. But assuming you don't have a remote control clock, I'd recommend getting one of those manual alarms with the bells and setting it someplace you'd have to get up and walk to it to turn it off.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:07 am

2014 wrote:Why has no one said just go to bed earlier?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:54 am

I got a trick that someone posted as a rave here. When I first wake up I take some sublingual vitamin b12. Try it. I take it a couple times a day now and it always gives me an energy boost.

But that only works if you wake up!

Someone else mentioned here that they have an alarm that gradually gets lighter and wakes you up with mellow noises. Maybe that would work for you? Having the light get gradually brighter simulates daybreak. I'm going to try one of these.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:03 am

A friend of mine leaves his alarm clock on the Evangelical radio station because it pisses him off enough to wake him up. Whatever works, man.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:31 am

if you have a mac get the alarms app its like 3 bucks and you can set it so loud that there is no way you will fail to wake up. Also put it across the room for you so you have to physically get out of bed and turn your laptop off.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:28 pm

sunynp wrote:Someone else mentioned here that they have an alarm that gradually gets lighter and wakes you up with mellow noises. Maybe that would work for you? Having the light get gradually brighter simulates daybreak. I'm going to try one of these.

I have one of these, but I use radio instead of mellow noises. I also set a loud cell phone alarm as backup (this morning I had it set to play LMFAO on max volume, which was annoying as hell but worked).

But honestly... I hate mornings, a lot, but dude. You need to learn to wake up at a normal time of day like an adult. For me, that means I need to go to bed earlier, which I also hate, but then I'm not dragging all day long the next day. It's not the end of the world if you miss class but you might as well get your shizz together while you're still in school so you don't have to when you start working, when it gets approximately eleventy billion times harder to fix your sleep schedule.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 pm

indigomachine wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I lol'd :)

Me too.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Get a puppy or a kitten. They'll wake you early when they're hungry.

Also, see about getting a diagnosis for a sleep disorder. I did this in college and was excused from all absences.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 pm

kalvano wrote:Or get one of the robot alarms that goes off and moves around, making you get up and chase it.

There is a cool one that is like a simple 4 piece puzzle, and at the alarm a spring triggers and the pieces go flying so you have to get up and put the pieces back together. I could find myself keeping a screwdriver by my bed to go for the batteries but if you have a genuine problem waking up consider it.

for example: http://www.perpetualkid.com/puzzle-alarm-clock.aspx

or

this one looks fun

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:A friend of mine leaves his alarm clock on the Evangelical radio station because it pisses him off enough to wake him up. Whatever works, man.

I lol'd hard

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
The ABA wrote:304(b) A law school shall require, as a condition for graduation, successful completion of a course of
study in residence of not fewer than 58,000 minutes of instruction time, except as otherwise
provided. At least 45,000 of these minutes shall be by attendance in regularly scheduled class
sessions at the law school.

304(d) A law school shall require regular and punctual class attendance.

Interpretation 304-6
A law school shall demonstrate that it has adopted and enforces policies insuring that individual students
satisfy the requirements of this Standard, including the implementation of policies relating to class
scheduling, attendance, and limitation on employment.

Obviously the school can treat you like a 2nd grader if they want, but two absences ain't no ABA rule.

And welcome to the grown-up world, where we have to wake up before noon. Get used to it.

I'm only going to chime into say that waking up to go to work and actually do things is a lot different from going to sit in a boring lecture where someone just repeats what I can read just fine on my own. I don't have a problem getting up... I just don't like going to class. If this stupid rule didn't exist, I don't know if I go to any of my lecture classes unless the professor was either outstanding or a friend of mine (i.e. teaches a subject I need to know). We are all grown men and women and could probably do without a bunch of eggheads in Washington telling us how many times we have to go to a lecture that is totally inconsequential as to whether you can crush a three hour exam 1-3 months later.

It must really suck to be the type of person who sleeps through an alarm. My phone's alarm is on vibrate and even if it on a soft surface like a mattress or the carpet, I wake up just to the sound of it vibrating. My younger brother, on the other hand, could sleep through the loudest alarms and oftentimes one has to physically shake him to wake him up. I honestly don't know how he does it now that he is living without a roommate (although I would imagine his girlfriend wakes him up at least most days).

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 am

FYI I skipped 75% of my classes 3L and at least 50% 2L and I'm pretty sure they said attendance was required in the syllabus, and I still did fine.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:08 am

SehMeSerrious wrote:
2014 wrote:Why has no one said just go to bed earlier?

When you are HUNGRY for success in law school you gotta stay up late.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:13 am

the lantern wrote:I'm only going to chime into say that waking up to go to work and actually do things is a lot different from going to sit in a boring lecture where someone just repeats what I can read just fine on my own.
Yes, getting up for work is MUCH, MUCH worse. (Unless you're in that lucky, miniscule percentage of people who actually like their jobs.)

KeyedUp

Postby KeyedUp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm

there are cheap, simple options for alarm clocks that will help. i have a hard time getting up, so i bought an alarm clock app (android) that requires me to scan a QR code (which i printed out and taped to my bathroom mirror) to shut the alarm off. so... i have to get out of bed, head to the bathroom, turn the lights on, scan the QR code... might as well start the shower and get going. boom. done. i recommend you find a similar app.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 pm

what app is this? sounds great

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”